Shin Maebashi interlude

bikkuri bahn

A nice sequence of the coupling of the up Minakami (in shonan livery) and Kusatsu trains.

Interesting factoid: though the Kusatsu service leaves the Joetsu main line at Shibukawa and continues on the Agatsuma Line, joining/unjoining of trains occurs at Shin Maebashi.

*There is an interesting operational story about the Kusatsu service and the Agatsuma Line I came across in a book, I will try to post it tomorrow.

The more I look at it, the more I think they should have gone for a 165 Series, instead of an 80 Series paint scheme. From the side on the train looks great, but then the front comes up where you'd expect straight lines as well, and then funky combinations of 60s curves and 80s lines comes up. They could even have gone for a classic Ltd. Express colouring as made by MicroAce once (but with more distinguished feathers at the front instead of just the suggesting form).

post-224-13569926407809_thumb.jpg

Yes, the 157 series paint scheme would match much better, considering the almost identical lines:

http://www.geocities.jp/tnk_ko/157K/m157/157K_19730815n_s1024_I20.jpg

But the fact is the shonan scheme was chosen because the first services 50 years ago using the Kusatsu name (a semi-express, or jun-kyu then) used the 80 series emu, which were in the selfsame livery.  It is a tribute to the history of this service.

CaptOblivious

I'm actually really warming up to the Shonan livery on the 185. Hoping Kato does a run of them, so I can have a set to couple to my recent "185 Express" liveried set.

I'm with Alvin on this. When so many railways seem ashamed of their history, or seem hellbent on denying that they even have trains, it's great to see something this flash running around.

Cheers,

Mark.