Odakyu VSE towed by DE10

bill937ca

Anyone know why a JRF DE10 is towing Odakyu's VSE Romancecar? It appears to be electrified track, but all the pantographs are down. Its dated November 5, 2011.

Martijn Meerts

Could be it's broken and being towed to a service depot. It makes an interesting combination though, especially with the YO 8000 =)

The trainset was built by Nippon Sharyo at their plant at Toyokawa, which is the neighboring city to Toyohashi.

Any idea if this is another VSE set or just a repair?

Is the YO 8000 for a ride-along support crew (something that's common in the U.S. for high/wide trains, but not for vehicle delivery), or is it being used as a spacer between the train and loco or extra braking or something? Anyone know?

My first thought was that it was there to adapt between coupler types. but in the second video it's clear that the VSE has a knuckle coupler fitted at the other end (perhaps a temporary structure given the framework around it).

I've seen these in other delivery videos, so I'm guessing it's some kind of standard practice, but I'm curious as to why.

Is the YO 8000 for a ride-along support crew (something that's common in the U.S. for high/wide trains, but not for vehicle delivery), or is it being used as a spacer between the train and loco or extra braking or something? Anyone know?

I read on one site that it's used as a spacer between the locomotive and the rolling stock, mainly to keep debris such as rust from soiling the new stock, which comes off the pantographs of electric locomotives.

Now that's an answer I never would have guessed.

And an excellent excuse for making a YO a coupler adapter, to model a rolling stock delivery without modifying the stock.

I read on one site that it's used as a spacer between the locomotive and the rolling stock, mainly to keep debris such as rust from soiling the new stock, which comes off the pantographs of electric locomotives.

But it's being towed by a DE10...

I'm interested too in whether or not this is new or a repair or something.  New vehicles often get some kind of protective covering over the ends, and I'm not seeing anything on the net about Odakyu ordering more of these, but for what kind of repairs would the whole train have to be sent back to Nippon Sharyo?

But it's being towed by a DE10...

I doubt it was towed the whole way to Kanagawa Pref. by the DE10.  I assume an electric took over, as JRF wouldn't want to have a long shuttle move (light engine) for what is essentially a yard switcher.

When electric Ltd Expresses were towed up the Hohi Line from Kumamoto to Suizenji they used a YO with a generator to power the lights and A/C.

post-218-13569926405371_thumb.jpg

I'm not seeing anything on the net about Odakyu ordering more of these, but for what kind of repairs would the whole train have to be sent back to Nippon Sharyo?

It appears they were sent to Nippon Sharyo starting on Sept. 7 for something (repairs?) and this is the return working.  The units were pulled by a EF 65 locomotive based at Shin Tsurumi Loco Depot from Nishi Hamamatsu to Matsuda.

http://railf.jp/news/2010/11/09/095900.html

Video of move to Nippon Sharyo (with a little bonus at the end!).  Note there is no crew car.

And the YO isn't present in the video.

Maybe it was just used by the local crew picking the train up from the factory for some reason such as when U.S. locals take along a caboose for backup moves.