Shinkansen Withdrawals & Scrapping?

yakumo381

Does anyone have details of the set numbers of the remaining 100-Series and 300-Series on the Sanyo and Tokaido Shinkansen? Also set numbers of the remaining 500-Series that have been reduced in length and are now running as Kodamas?

Also where do old Shinkansen go to die? Has anyone details or, even better, pictures or film of then being broken up - especially 100 & 300 Series?

Hi!

see on

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_Series_Shinkansen

12 P sets (4 cars) and 10 K sets (6 cars)

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/300_Series_Shinkansen

29 sets survived

About 500 V set I'm not sure, I know that 7 sets has been formed but I think the last 2 sets are under transformation.

disbanded trains are scrapped at JR Central Hamamatsu Work and JR West Hakata depot,

JR East trains are scrapped at Sendai depot.

Excluding a limit number of preserved cars, all the rest are cut up and recycled

ciao

Massimo

Looking at the Japanese Wikipedia page, it looks like the ID numbers stayed the same through the conversion to 8 car consists, that is, the 16-car W3 became 8-car V3.  Also, there seems to be some inconsistency between the English and Japanese pages.  The English page does say 7 sets in existence, but the Japanese page seems to show that only 6 8-car sets exist  There is no conversion date for 16-car sets W1, W7, and W8.  In fact, there is no retirement date at all for W1, maybe it's still running as a 16-car set, but I thought all had been withdrawn.  W7 and W8 were the last two to be withdrawn, in January and March of this year respectively, maybe they are being converted.  I'm not having any luck finding explicit information.