MicroAce Production Issues?

Krackel Hopper

Krackel Hopper

hey hey,

I've noticed lately that MicroAce seems to be missing a lot of release dates.  Their DD53 Rotary plow was due in mid-Aug, then late-Sept, now late-Oct and is still not out.  Many of their October releases are still available for pre-order.. and there's 4 days left in the month..

I'm not complaining, I'll continue to patiently wait for the release(s).. I am just curious if anyone happens to know what the story is.

Jon

CaptOblivious

I've noticed that too…they only just released some of their products promised some months ago, too. I wonder?

There is also a trade war going on between China and Japan over the detaining of a Chinese fishing boat captain several months ago.  China has been holding back exports in some cases.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/china-japan-trade-war-looms/article1722324/

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/business/T100926001854.htm

China toughens customs clearance

The Yomiuri Shimbun

In what appears to be retaliation for Japan's handling of the recent collisions between a Chinese fishing boat and Japan Coast Guard vessels, China has toughened customs clearance procedures, delaying shipments to and from Japan, The Yomiuri Shimbun has learned.

Some customs houses in China have stiffened inspections of Japan-bound exports of rare earths, which are vital for the manufacture of many high-tech products, and ordinary goods exported to and imported from Japan, government sources said Saturday.

Fearing delays in customs clearance will affect operations of Japanese companies, the government has been urgently investigating the matter, the sources said.

According to sources well informed about Japanese-Chinese trade relations, Shanghai customs authorities informed major Japanese transport firms last Tuesday of a decision to immediately boost the ratio of imports and exports subject to sample inspections at the city's customs house from the previous 30 percent to 100 percent.

Shanghai's quarantine authorities have also raised the ratio of quarantine inspections of commodities from the previous 10 percent to 50 percent, they said.

Because of the subsequent delay in the clearance and quarantine procedures, many air cargoes bound for Japan, including electronics parts, remain in Shanghai, according to the sources.

Similar measures have been taken at many other customs houses, including those in Fujian, Guandong and Liaoning Provinces, the sources said.

(Sep. 27, 2010)

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/national/T101018003728.htm

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20100908a4.html

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/eo20101020a2.html

I cannot remember which of the Chinese factories produces Micro Ace models. If it is Sanda Kan then perhaps the rumours are true.  There are other factories in China capable of producing models just look at alibaba.com but are they up to the standard that MA require?

MA in 2010 have tried to compete on new issues with Tomix and Kato but have increased the number of re-issues which is good news for those who missed out the first time but one of their original aims was to have one production run of the livery etc.

This year few of their releases have tempted me with the exception of the DF50 Kyushu version and the two DD54s. The DD54s are on order as I missed out on the Kato versions.

I still await their monthly announcements but they appear to rely on Joyful Trains and Private Railways. Apart from the C56 in Imperial Livery the number of steam models has been very few this year. OK production costs of a steam model are more than the equivalent diesel or electric but I would have expected some re-issues or new variants of existing models.

Also their pricing would suggest a change in factory or supplier arrangement. The proposed brewery hopper wagon pricing is excessive even allowing for the strength of the Yen especially as Kawai appear to have made it previously.

Hopefully, they and not the factory own the tooling.

In this country Hornby had their models made by Sanda Kan and now Bachmann own the company, their products are made by their closest rival!!! There have been rumours that Hornby will transfer some production to India as some Airfix moulding is carried out here.

Kato have always mostly relied on home production while Tomytec could be made anywhere in SE Asia as Tomy have many factories throughout this region.

Micro Ace arrived on the scene with the D51 and over the years several of their marketing ideas have been matched by Kato as regards coach and wagon sets.

Hopefully they will continue to offer models to suit all Japanese interests.

• Like 1

Don't think model trains are on the same level as rare earth exports...But, at least on the HO scale front, delays in releases from China have been going on for much longer, predating the Senkaku dispute.  I believe it is a industry specific issue rather than anything political.