JGR and JNR era station buildings?

miyakoji

I was searching for some images of Minatomachi Station for that other thread when I came across this picture of an early iteration of Sakurajima Station

sakao.jpg

I've also got these two images of an old Okayama Station

okayamastationfront.jpg

okayamastation.jpg

I did a quick search for 鉄道省 時代 駅舎 but that turned up nothing.  Does anyone know a name for this style of stationhouse?

Some of what I assume are the successors to these still stand, Okayama for example.  Shin-Osaka is another, with that black siding and white lettering.  I saw that station in a movie from the mid-70s, it looked exactly the same!  Okayama's fascia has been covered up or removed, but it's of the same era.  JR West is knocking some of these down, Himeji and Fukuchiyama come to mind.  They also demolished Kameoka Station; not one of these, but old, in decent condition, and kind of cute, as I recall.

Does anyone know a name for this style of stationhouse?

I'm no architecture expert, my only education in the subject being a course in Los Angeles architectural history back as a college undergraduate, and I don't know the Japanese term, but stylistically, I think for Okayama Station would be art deco, which jibes with its build date of 1926.  My elementary school in the suburbs of LA, as well as the LA coliseum, are also in this style.  Apparently this station building housed the first flush toilets and beer hall in the prefecture.

Sakurajima station is more utilitarian, though the french doors are art deco(?) or craftsman in style.  

Yeah, I'd agree that Okayama is an art-deco building. Probably my favourite western architectural style. Interesting to see the Japanese interpretation, very nice!

Cheers,

Mark.

Mudkip Orange

The massing and emphasis on the verticality are definitely shared with Art Deco. But the relative lack of ornamentation makes it more Rationalist/Fascist.

What's particularly interesting is that in the bottom (presumably older) photo, the building and all articulations all have shallow cornices, whereas in the top photo, they've been stripped off. Throwing context to the wind, I'd call the bottom photo Art Deco and the top photo Rationalist - even though they're the same building.

Of course I, too, am completely ignorant of any Japanese-specific architectural movements which might have produced this and other similar stations.

Interesting observation, Mudkip. I hadn't noticed the differences between the two photos until you pointed them out. Perhaps when the building gained the illuminated sign it was altered? Or the rendering could have been damaged and then replaced? Either way, it certainly alters the appearance a bit.

Cheers,

Mark.