Kato 800 Shinkansen Bullet Train Tsubame 6 Car 10-491

Guest Closed Account 1

Guest Closed Account 1

Hello:

Newbie here.

I am wanting to buy the Kato 10-491 Tsubame (Swallow).

Can anyone confirm with a fresh picture that the body is white and not some weird beige as seen in some pictures online?

Kato Japan's site says "The body of Perfect White, a beautiful reproduction body paint of fresh red and gold decor of the corporate color line" but some sites show a bad beige hew.

Also is this baby DCC friendly and does anyone know the pole count of the motor?

Any chance we can create a Shinkansen Forum within the N Scale Forum?

Krackel Hopper

hey hey,

My father won an 800 Series off Ebay just recently.  I can indeed confirm that it is white.  It is a beautiful runner and Kato doesn't skimp, so I would assume it's a 7 pole.. not sure on DCC compatibility.  I'm sure there is someone on here who can give you a rundown on the DCC install.

Welcome to the forums!

Jon

webskipper - Welcome to the forum!

I'm attaching a photo of my Kato 800 Tsubame, to let you judge for yourself if it's truly white.  

The Kato version is a 5 pole motor and is easy to solder in a decoder into the motor car which is in the center.

If you want to control the headlights in the head and tail cars, you'll need a decoder of each car. So for total DCC control, you'll need 3 decoders.

post-22-13569926334823_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
CaptOblivious

I don't think Kato ever produced a model with a 7-pole motor. According to The Ghan, this model should have a 5-pole motor according to it's inventory number:

http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php/topic,3599.msg35889.html#msg35889

Still, I can certainly attest that even Kato's 3-pole motors are champs, and the 5-polers are flat-out jaw-dropping at low-speed operations (I've gotten my Kato EF65 down to about 1–2 scale MPH).

Guest Closed Account 1

The Kato version is a 5 pole motor and is easy to solder in a decoder into the motor car which is in the center.

If you want to control the headlights in the head and tail cars, you'll need a decoder of each car. So for total DCC control, you'll need 3 decoders.

Sweet!  Thank for the pics and the welcomes, I'm glad it really has that sports car color scheme.

Solder? Going to need my hand held for the first one with lots of pics.  Solder Station to the rescue. Do I need a decoder for each cab as well or do the lights change from white to red?

Does this one lean into the turns?

The 800 isn't a "Tilt" train like the Kamome, Sonic or Super Ozora, but Shinkansen's have longer cars and need a wider radius when it comes to curves.

You can have just one decoder in the motor car if you don't mind have both red and white lights on in the head and tail cars. Kato also has decoders for the interior light sets for each car. (getting into very expensive territory though)

Soldering isn't too hard it just takes practice.

What DCC system are you using or planning on using?

Guest Closed Account 1

Digitrax. Was told that was the best choice to communicate with the Kato decoders. Probably the Empire set since it promises to be more 'expandable'.  Lots of time to think. I just bought the Tsubame on feebay and will see it around Thanksgiving.

No Tilting no problem.  Designing a layout with double super elevated wide curves. I have room for a 46 X 94 table.

You don't need a Digitrax command station to work with a Digitrax/Kato decoder, since the DCC protocols make decoders and command stations mostly independent. There are likely exceptions, but I don't know of anything special about Digitrax and/or Kato decoders other than "transponding".  For that you need a computer and LocoNet with special occupancy detectors, but you could use anyone's Command Station.

All that said, Digitrax is a good choice.  However, the Super Empire Buillding (which is what I assume you mean) uses the DB150 Command Station, not the DCS100.  That has some serious limitations, the worst being write-only programming. The Super Chief is $100 more ($455 vs $355 US MSRP), but you get a much better command station (this is what I have, although I bought the DCS100 separately, as I already had DT400-series throttles that I'd used with a Zephyr).

For a bit more money than the Super Empire Builder (about $400) you could buy the Zephyr (DCS50) and a DB402 throttle and UP5 separately. And while that's limited to 10 trains and 3 Amps instead of 22 trains and 5 Amps, that's likely to be enough for most normal-sized non-sound layouts. You can also cut costs by putting off buying the walkaround DT402 throttle. And it's close in functionality to the DCS100 and just as expandable. And unless you need the walkaround throttle, I'd suggest putting the money into the new Zephyr Xtra ($225 US MSRP) instead, as it has the same 22 locomotive limit as the DB150, rather than the 10 loco limit of the original Zephyr (although it's still limited to 3 Amps).

I recommend that you take the time to read the manuals (online) and Digitrax Knowledge Base articles for the command stations to get a better picture of the features they each have and see if they matter to you, but I'd really recommend not getting the DB150.

Martijn Meerts

Kato's 800 is a good one for a first decoder install. It's real easy to hook up a decoder to the motor car, and there's plenty of space to hide the decoder. The cab cars are a bit more difficult considering you'll need to change polarity of 1 of the LEDs (de-solder it, turn it around, and solder it back in place again.) There's also not that much room around the car area, but it's easy enough to hide the decoder in the underbody (underneath the seats) as long as the function decoder is small enough.

There should be a thread with pictures of an install of the Kato 800 series on the forum somewhere =)

Spaceman Spiff

I just ordered my 800 from Ace of Bicycle -Ebay. I ordered my decoders (DZ125 & FL4's) from Model Train  Stuff. Now I eagerly await. We'll have to compare notes on the decoder installs.

Spiff

Guest Closed Account 1

Ordered mine from them yesterday, too Spaceman. Now we wait till turkey day.

I'll get my decoders and unitrak sets from another feebay dealer because the prices are so much better. Maybe another bullet. I'll buy the controller from my lhs for warranty and you have patronize one good shop to get help and great deals in the future.

Ken- that's a lot to digest. It would be easier if I could just use my iPhone. :)

Ordered mine from them yesterday, too Spaceman. Now we wait till turkey day.

I'll get my decoders and unitrak sets from another feebay dealer because the prices are so much better. Maybe another bullet. I'll buy the controller from my lhs for warranty and you have patronize one good shop to get help and great deals in the future.

Ken- that's a lot to digest. It would be easier if I could just use my iPhone. :)

You can http://jmri.sourceforge.net/help/en/package/jmri/jmrit/withrottle/UserInterface.shtml

Inobu

Guest Closed Account 1

My 800 arrived on Monday. My neighbor brought it over because I wasn't home. I'm just amazed that a box can make it that fast from Japan in 3 days.

Guest Closed Account 1

Why didn't anyone warn me that Kato N scale Bullet trains are addictive?

I opened up my Kato 800 Bullet and found a jewel train.

I also ordered a 500 series with a 4 car addon.  They'll keep the dopamine level pretty high for a long time. :)

I don't think Kato ever produced a model with a 7-pole motor. According to The Ghan, this model should have a 5-pole motor according to it's inventory number:

http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php/topic,3599.msg35889.html#msg35889

Still, I can certainly attest that even Kato's 3-pole motors are champs, and the 5-polers are flat-out jaw-dropping at low-speed operations (I've gotten my Kato EF65 down to about 1–2 scale MPH).

I can confirm Kato are not making 7 pole n-scale models.  Also, I've checked 10-491 on the Kato website.  USUALLY, the models with 5 pole motors are advertised as having the flywheel.  Such a feature is not listed for this model.  I believe that 10-491 was released in November 2004 - right at the time the 5 pole flywheel motor was being introduced.  I'm surprised the hear from Bernard that 10-491 has 5 poles, but Kato might have forgotten to put it on the site.  If it matters to you, take the motor car apart and have a look.  As the Captain says, the 3-pole motors are good.  Running one slowly on a steep grade is usually a give-away too.

Digitrax. Was told that was the best choice to communicate with the Kato decoders. Probably the Empire set since it promises to be more 'expandable'.  Lots of time to think. I just bought the Tsubame on feebay and will see it around Thanksgiving.

No Tilting no problem.  Designing a layout with double super elevated wide curves. I have room for a 46 X 94 table.

I'm a Digitrax Super Chief man.  I don't like the DB150 Command Station.  I've got a 5A DCS100 and 20A power supply.  STRONGLY suggest you consider the Super Chief if you can spare the bucks.

Kato decoders slip into their "DCC Friendly" trains.  The decoders are designed by Digitrax and have transponding built in.  I'm presently installing transponding into my layout.  It is expensive, but worthwhile if you're going to control you layout by PC or notebook and want to know what train is where on screen.  While you can use any digital system to control the decoders, only te Digitrax system will support the transponding feedback.

I have discussed the options for decoders in cab cars in this thread: http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php/topic,3599.0.html  I'm going to use up my TF4s and then use Kato FL12s for cab cars in the future.  Setting the cab car decoders up the same as the motor car decoder will mean that I have occupancy and transponding for the full lenght of each train ... ie: my notebook will report where the train is accurately if it occupies two or more sections.

Hope this helps

Cheers

The_Ghan

I also ordered a 500 series with a 4 car addon.  They'll keep the dopamine level pretty high for a long time. :)

If you're like me, pretty soon you'll be snuggling up with that baby in front of a log fire, sharing a mug of hot chocolate. ....  :love4:

• Like 1

Oh it gets worse.....if you want to know how bad it can get, start a thread called, "What's in your roster?"

You'll see how addicting this hobby is.  :grin

Samurai_Chris

Agreed. After just my first two weeks. I had already became the owner of 2 Shinkansen Starter sets, and had enough viaduct to build a 3meter layout!.. 2 months on. I have only bought a local set, and some foam for polystyrene for the layout as well as a few buildings, track, ect ect...

Very addictive.. If I wasn't taking the family home for Xmas. I would have the Kato 800 set you just got, and an N700 set....

Chris