not Japanese, but found it at Hobby Search

nik_n_dad

1) I'm losing my mind and probably testing the missus' patience, but I've really gone on a buying binge the last month or so

2) It's not Japanese, but I did find it at Hobby Search originally (but they were out, so I had to scrounge)

3) Related to my potential insanity in #1, I've been getting a number of European and Swiss things lately

KATO 2887 N CFL NOHAB diesel

10110222a2.jpg

Hmm that looks like a Santa Fe, perhaps you can run a Super Chief or El Capitain set behind.  Also from Kato  :grin

I've got two Super Chiefs and an El Capitan but I've got plenty of Kato F7's to power them at half the price of the NOHAB loco. If it didn't have a typical European price I would have picked one up as a novelty, even in Tokyo hobby shops were I saw them I could have gotten three Japanese locos for the same price.

BTW there is also a prototype in Great Northern green and Orange but I don't think Kato have done it, yet.

Martijn Meerts

I saw a NOHAB drive by back when I lived in Norway. Sure was noisy, and the amount of black smoke was quite crazy as well =)

I saw a NOHAB drive by back when I lived in Norway. Sure was noisy, and the amount of black smoke was quite crazy as well =)

The sound of EMD engines (non-turbo) are among the classics of aural ferroequinology- smooth and even, unlike the phlegmic coughing or chugging of four-stroke engines, which nevertheless have their own charm.  Nowadays though, environmental regs have pretty much muffled/silenced the sounds (and the character) of diesel engines, at least on the new models.

I got it because, as Nik put it, "that's weird, Dad".  (we like unique trains).  Price was ok, $146US.  A few more purchases, and I may have to start selling blood plasma.

The sound of EMD engines (non-turbo) are among the classics of aural ferroequinology- smooth and even, unlike the phlegmic coughing or chugging of four-stroke engines, which nevertheless have their own charm.  Nowadays though, environmental regs have pretty much muffled/silenced the sounds (and the character) of diesel engines, at least on the new models.

The funny thing about non-turbo EMD locos is that a lot of the noise you hear is the radiator fans and roots blowers. One time at Eveleigh we were overhauling 4918, an EMD G-8C. The drive to the radiator fan was disconnected, but I had to start it up briefly so it could be moved a few feet. Once it was running I was surprised at how quiet it was, compared to the usual "yum-yum" sound it made.

I must admit my preference is for "Alco music", as my son calls it.  :grin

I certainly agree with your comment about modern diesels. The local railfans have nicknamed the NR class locos "Kelvinators", because they sound like a big refrigerator.

Cheers,

Mark.

Very nice.  VR Blue and Gold looks very (very) Erie-like

It should, as it was designed by the EMD styling section using the Erie scheme with the VR blue and yellow colours introduced in 1937 for the beautiful streamlined "Spirit of Progress".

SpiritofProgressAdvertising.jpg

Like most of the colour schemes designed by EMD, I think it's a timeless classic, and it looks as good today as when it was new. There are a few preserved VR diesels still running in this livery.

Spirit-of-progress-70th-anniversary-2007.jpg

Cheers,

Mark.

Aww, he looks so sad!

It's hard to get a satisfying long run when you work for the Luxembourg railways. Back and forth, day in and day out, same routine all the time.

• Like 2

You could fool a lot of casual US railfans into believing that shot was taken in the U.S., the rolling stock being so alike.  Though the width of that track in the foreground is telling...

Those EMD stylists were busy in the 50's, if you look closely at a NSWGR 42 class the paint scheme is a copy of Santa Fe's 'cat's whisker' freight scheme with tuscan red replacing the blue.

You could fool a lot of casual US railfans into believing that shot was taken in the U.S., the rolling stock being so alike.  Though the width of that track in the foreground is telling...

You probably could. But didn't the Erie start out as a broad-gauge railway?  :grin

Cheers,

Mark.

Those EMD stylists were busy in the 50's, if you look closely at a NSWGR 42 class the paint scheme is a copy of Santa Fe's 'cat's whisker' freight scheme with tuscan red replacing the blue.

Well spotted, Alvin. It's another classic scheme, IMO. Apparently it wasn't the first choice for the 42s. I have a NSWGR promo brochure somewhere showing the initial colour scheme that was proposed, and it is very much like the Boston & Maine whisker/stripes scheme.

Cheers,

Mark.

Martijn Meerts

That "Spirit of Progress" looks great, but as it's Australian, I guess we'll never see a model of it =)

Martijn, that depends on how much you want one. There have been HO scale models of the SoP cars produced by Powerline, although I believe they're currently out of production. The S class steam loco has been done in riotously expensive brass from Trainbuilder, or as a white metal kit from Steam Era Models.

Cheers,

Mark.

Martijn Meerts

Martijn, that depends on how much you want one. There have been HO scale models of the SoP cars produced by Powerline, although I believe they're currently out of production. The S class steam loco has been done in riotously expensive brass from Trainbuilder, or as a white metal kit from Steam Era Models.

Cheers,

Mark.

Let me rephrase the original statement:

That "Spirit of Progress" looks great, but as it's Australian, I guess we'll never see an affordable N-scale model of it (from Kato for example, same as their American named train releases) =)

Nothing against the H0 version, but over the years I've started to see H0 as too big for long trains, and too small for the really nice details (hence me doing N-scale and 0-scale :))

When paint schemes were designed by manufacturers rather than railroads, you get this sort of thing...

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=129072

http://emdexport.railfan.net/mideast/israel4.html

There are some cases where one was a copy at a much later date:

http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=2191 

http://www.locopage.net/iran-u30.jpg