DIY: Station Platforms and Elevated Supports (COOL video too)

SubwayHypes

if you can get over the terrible music, these videos are an excellent example of how to use DIY platforms, supports, etc. 

So, instead of dropping crazy amounts of money on manufactored platforms and elevated supports, which cost about 20 a foot, lets come up with some cool ideas on how to make nice scenery using some wood and paint from home depot.  (you are probably going to need a wood cutter, but at most home depots they cut your wood if you bring specifications)

I have a few ideas floating in my head right now that im going  to sketch out and post later.  but im not a genius at this, so i was hoping someone had their own ideas to input.

heres my rough sketch on what i thought i saw them do for their platforms

diyplatform.jpg

im probably going to buy the kato double platform with overhead pass kit, because i need at least one section of manufactored platform.  once i know the width (or height) of the platform i can try and find some kind of wood with the same thickness, im thinking that plack wood.  (MAYBE ONE OF YOU CAN GO MEASURE YOUR STATION PLATFORM REAL QUICK??

i have a ton of KNEX that i had as a kid, i could easily paint a few of the 1inch peices and use those for supports.  you could also use a dowel, and cut it into small pieces.  then find some balsa wood, and cut that to lenght and lay it on top of the supports.  make sure you hit everything with a nice coat of Rustoleum TEXTURED spray paint!  they have cement texture, sand, metalized, etc.  i would probably use a flat primer gray on the platform, and then hit it with a mist of cement.  for the roof i would probably use whatever color closest matched the kato.  You dont even really need a roof if you just making platform extensions.  use Kato roofs for the main part of the station, then add lenght by using a few feet of DIY platform.  this way your train doesnt look funny with 3 cars sticking out at the end of the station, this is a pet peeve of mine.

For the elevated track supports, you can also use thick dowels.  they seem to use two X 4s that are cut into little chunks.  it also seems that they have a thin layer of wood between the supports and the actual track.  my question is how to curve this wood with the curve of the track?

im also thinking that you could simply just use thick dowels for the elevated track supports, and just cut them yourself. 

in the first video, it looks like they are simply just taking the top of the station overpass (the blue/white one) and just laying that on top of their own little DIY platforms.

Subway - I like your thinking, you bring up a very good topic at times like these, "saving money". Yeah why can't we improvise with other materials for our layouts.

That is some big layout but it seems awfully hard to access a train on an inner loop if it derails. (I even wonder how they put together the scenery in the middle, they must have hidden hatches for access.)

Good question on how to make bridges or viaducts that bend with the track plan. Here are three photos of how I did this for 2 bridges on my layout:

I learned this method when I have to bend wood when I make hulls for model boats. There are a few things you will need: CA glue medium or thick, CA accelerator and a bendable wood like basswood. What I did was make a pattern of the curve I needed to make (base & sides of bridge)  sketch it onto the basswood, cut & sand the rough areas of the wood, then I would use the CA thick glue (you get a little more time before it sets) clap it down or hold it with your fingers (then you need someone to help you) spray the CA glue with accelerator. Some people soak the wood but I find it might warp too much.

I need to make trees for my layout and I think I might make some in the foreground and use green toned cotton balls bunched together as a background behind the "real" trees to give a texture of a forest. 

You've opened up some good ideas to think about!

post-22-13569922027363_thumb.jpg

post-22-13569922027877_thumb.jpg

post-22-13569922028234_thumb.jpg

cool pictures, i like your use of wood and foam as supports and beams.

yes, in times like this, i cant justify spending $300 on a big train station and elevated track.  i just spent 180$ on a train and im going to really feel hit my checking out when the credit card bill comes!@  im thinking you can make a nice station and elevated track for under $50 bucks here.

This is a good idea. I think it would be pretty easy to do with basswood plywood and some extruded styrene I-beams (for the roof supports) and textured styrene (for the roof). It should be pretty easy to make custom platforms to conform to curved trackplans and the like, too, which would be nice.

The Tomix platforms are actually pretty simple structures, except for the texturing on the roof. I'll see if I can't post a profile of a Tomix platform with dimensions in the next few days (which could be easily modified to fit Kato track if someone can tell me the spacing betwen track edges for Kato stuff).

ALSO IF ANYONE CAN IDENTIFY THE TRAIN AT 4:14 IN THE SECOND VIDEO I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE.

i swear to god it looks like the Tokyo Metro Hibiya Sen.

well, i found a good deal on the older model of Kato station platform, so i just plunked down and bought it!

so much for DIY.