201 series "orange" last run

bikkuri bahn

Asahi (newspaper) video footage- arriving at Toyoda to receive passengers, and departure to the shouts of "thank you!"

*Yesterday was the last run of the 201 series on the Chuo Line.  A special train (H7 trainset) was run from Toyoda to Matsumoto (Nagano Pref.) As expected, big crowds at stations and along the right of way.

There are a slew of lineside and station arrival videos, too many to sort out, but this one is of the arrival at Kofu Station (Yamansahi Pref.) Note EF64 units in background.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFuEdo6FrkU

• Like 1

What can you say about a country where crowds like that turn out for the last run of a commuter EMU.

I liked the 201's and the like, they make a more colourful scene than the newer stainless steel trains with just a small stripe of colour along the sides.

Such a shame those 201 had to go. Many people have good memories of these trains and I have a few Japanese friends who are quite upset by these EMUs leaving the scene on the Chûô line. Gonna miss that good old DC motor sound when I'm back on the Chûô...

I agree, I love those trains. They still look sharp even after 30 years of service.

The 201 is still in service for JR West, isn't it?

I agree, I love those trains. They still look sharp even after 30 years of service.

Yes, on the Osaka Loop Line, and sporting the same colors.  IMO a much more interesting loop line operation-wise than the Yamanote, though certainly much slower and prone to delays.

Yes, on the Osaka Loop Line, and sporting the same colors.  IMO a much more interesting loop line operation-wise than the Yamanote, though certainly much slower and prone to delays.

I'm not sure on up-to-date JR West info, but blue 201s were doing local service between Kyoto and Nishi-Akashi (I think this has ended, replaced entirely by 321s), and lime green ones are still operating on the Yamatoji/Kansai Main Line between Nara and Tennouji/JR Namba.

This page has some "uso-den" based on a 201 pictures: http://blog.livedoor.jp/koganei_hyogo/archives/50158341.html  To think of the 201 on the Moonlight Nagara service... well, it makes my ass hurt.

Bikkuri, why do you think that the Osaka Loop is more interesting than the Yamanote?  Not that I disagree, as a former frequent passenger of JRW, but I don't really think of the operational side of things.

Bikkuri, why do you think that the Osaka Loop is more interesting than the Yamanote?

Basically, the Yamanote is a closed loop-self contained operation- very efficient, but boring too. The Osaka Kanjo Line (loop line) has run through operations from the Yamatoji Line (Kansai Main Line trains), as well as limited expresses bound for Wakayama/Kii Peninsula, and oh yeah, the universal studios trains.  Just more complication to make operations more complex. 

Bikkuri, why do you think that the Osaka Loop is more interesting than the Yamanote?

Basically, the Yamanote is a closed loop-self contained operation- very efficient, but boring too. The Osaka Kanjo Line (loop line) has run through operations from the Yamatoji Line (Kansai Main Line trains), as well as limited expresses bound for Wakayama/Kii Peninsula, and oh yeah, the universal studios trains.  Just more complication to make operations more complex. 

I've always thought of the Yamanote Line the same way I think of the Shinkansen, an easy way to get from point A to B to see something more interesting rather than an attraction in it's own right. Not to say it isn't an amazing achievement in public transport and I admire how they can keep the trains so clean you could eat off the floor.

Some photos taken during Orange 201's last run. I stopped at Toyoda at about 8:26, about an hour and a half before 201 arrived.

Fans were starting to line up at the platform. Station staff were there for crowd control.

DSC_0026.jpg

I thought that these people lining up were part of the lucky 400 who would ride on the train, but later I realized that there was a special gift shop set up at the station and they were waiting to have a chance to enter it. I'm sorry that I missed it but I didn't have much extra cash to spend either.

DSC_0027-1.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

Some of the fans were quite young and with nice cameras.

DSC_0036.jpg

The sign basically says 30 years, thank you. Good bye Orange Chuo line. Toyoda to Matsumoto. The smaller orange katakana reads hatota H7.

DSC_0038.jpg

This fan is recording the station announcement with his cell phone. He ran to the end of far platform to get a clear recording, I believe.

DSC_0039.jpg

Back to Takao Station, but the ever increasing numbers of fans on both platforms made me decide to leave the station and seek a spot at the crossing west of the station.

DSC_0263.jpg

There were eventually three older women with point and shoot cameras at this spot and more mothers in that group on the opposite side of the street.

DSC_0277.jpg

More to come.

Best wishes,

Grant

This fan is recording the station announcement with his cell phone. He ran to the end of far platform to get a clear recording, I believe.

DSC_0039.jpg

Wait what?  Has men's fashion in Japan gone that... far?

There was a helicopter flying above just moments before Orange 201 came into view.

DSC_0300.jpg

DSC_0301.jpg

DSC_0303.jpg

Stepped down the telephoto lens.

DSC_0304.jpg

DSC_0305.jpg

DSC_0306.jpg

DSC_0311.jpg

DSC_0314.jpg

Orange 201 didn't stop at most of the stations along the way.

Only 400 fans could ride the last run so the cars were relatively empty inside.

I had bad luck the last two days before this. The last scheduled run was apparently on Friday and I missed it. And on Saturday there was a special run to Tokyo Station. I didn't know about that and also missed it, but realized what happened when a fan showed me his photo of Orange 201 taken earlier that morning and also because the Chuo line was running late at Shinjuku. I suspect the crowd at Tokyo was pretty massive. Hardly fans at Shinjuku that morning.

Felt pretty bad that morning.

The weekend before I rode Orange 201 most of the way to Tachikawa and back. Lots of fans and kids were riding also and I'll post photos later. That was interesting and lots of fun.

Best wishes,

Grant

Yes, he did stand out, but he was having a good time, and I think was no more unusual in his way than we rail fans are in ours. Sorry, just thought the photo might be interesting. Many different people showed up to say good bye.

best wishes,

Grant

Martijn Meerts

It still amazes me how so many people are that interested in trains. Over here when a train gets taken out of service, you really don't find out about it until you notice the train you're getting on is all of a sudden a different one =)

My student says that it will be scrapped. She read it in a the newspaper article. She brought it up in our lesson that the last run was on the nightly news and morning programs that Sunday and the day after.  Perhaps others might have different info.

Best wishes,

Grant

Wait what?  Has men's fashion in Japan gone that... far?

I think that "he" is actually a "she", or else a dude that looks good in black stockings...

Great photos as always, as good as being there ourselves.

I notice an old blue and white 115 in the background in one of the photos soldiering on while it's younger cousin goes to the scrapyard.