Kato Shinkansen Series 0 or 100 - Good set, easy decoder install?

Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff

Hi there, me again with noob questions. I am thinking getting more of an original Shinkansen Series 0 or 100 as opposed to the 500 series. I figure getting something vintage and and a 800 series would be better.

I was wondering if the Kato Series 0 or 100 sets are good? Are they easy for decoder installs? Same questions for the 800 series.

Any comments or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Spiff

I don't know about the dcc install but I have a kato series 0 and I love it, it runs beautifully and looks so classical.  The only downer is that is uses rapido couplers instead of the close couplings that all my other kato stuff has

I'd certainly recommend it and they tend to be very reasonably priced

Graham

Spaceman Spiff

Thanks for the reply Grumbeast.

Can the rapido couplers be switched over?

Do you have both the 0 and 100 series? Which do you prefer?

Cheers

Spiff

Hi Spiff,

of course, Kato 0 series is very beautifull but is the oldes project of Shinkansen model, at 99% is the same train until 1984 (the last 10-453/10-454 release have only a new pantograph). That's the reason for the old rapido coupler, you can change it but the space between the cars remain, is only reduced.

I think is better if you buy a new Tomix set, maybe the R61 last run set that can run correctly with the 500 series or you wait the next re-release of the R set with new Kodama color (black/green stripe).

In case you can wait the next Microace release of the old Hikari/Kodama original set (with new coupling type)

About DCC installation I don't think you find to much trouble, but is not so simple like the last plug and play Kato models (E4, E3, E2 1000)

ciao

Massimo

I have the latest Kato 0 series (10-453) and I like it, but it's clearly not up to the standards of the current models.  Not DCC ready, no diaphragms, non-prototypical space between the cars, the rapido couplers, etc.  I bought mine because it was very cheap - in fact I think the store I bought it from ("Ace of Bicycle" on Ebay) had it priced wrong because I got it for $156.99 and after I bought it, he reposted the same set for $199.

For $199, I would definitely get something else.  I think it was worth what I paid for it, but not more than that.

I do like having a 0 series set as my first shinkansen, but Kato is not the only company making 0 series sets.

Spaceman Spiff

Hi, well I pulled the trigger on the Tomix set on the advice received here. I hope you guys know what your talking about :) lol.

I should have probably asked before buying them but will the TOMIX N Scale 92963 JR Series 0-7000 Sanyo Shinkansen "Hikari" (Good Bye Series 0 Hikari) Set (Limited Edition) connect up to the TOMIX 92357 Shinkansen Bullet Train 0-2000 4-Car Add B with no issues?

Does the Good Bye series have 1 or 2 motors?

Also can some one tell me which decoders I need for this train?

Cheers

Spiff

P.S.  The is the set I bought but not from this seller.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/TOMIX-SHINKANSEN-0-7000-MAX-6-CARS-BASIC-SETS-RARE-PSL-/310222807291?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item483ab860fb

I can't say whether they'd connect to the add-on, but be aware that the 6 car set is most likely prototypical.  The last runs of the 0 series were 6 car trains.  The real life set that your set is probably modeling is the R61 set (which made a special Hikari run in 2008) - here is a video of the identical R67 set in its last year of revenue service:  

Kinda wish I'd bought this set; it's only a little more expensive than the Kato one I got (per car) and then I'd be able to just run a 6 car train and know I've got the full set :)

Hi Spiff,

the guy of this auction is a little bit insane, the price in Japan is around 14000JPY and this set is not so hard to find, for example here is still available

http://www.rainbowten.co.jp/english/index.html

this set have only one motorized car and for 6 cars formation you don't need more

about coupling type, you can't connect the old single cars and you can connect the 0-2000 add on set but why??? this set is already complete, 6 cars like the R61/R67/R68 last run

if you connect another add-on set the cars number doesn't mach, your car formation is not prototypically correct and the color doesn't mach!!! the "last run" set is white/blue painted, the 0-2000 (new or old is the same) is cream/blue

believe me, the 0 last run set born and die in 6 cars formation, if you want a much longer Shinkansen you need to buy another...

sorry, about DCC I can't help you

Ciao

Massimo

Spaceman Spiff

Thanks for the video spacecadet.

jappomania thanks for the info. I didn't realize the add on set didn't match up color wise. Is the color difference considerable?

Spiff

Guest Closed Account 1

Back in stock at HS.

Kato 10-453 and 10-454 Series 0-2000 Tokaido/Sanyo Shinkansen Bullet Trains.

Just reserved both sets.

I was thinking about reserving one of the Kato sets myself as the 0 is my favorite shinkansen, but was wondering can you buy diaphragms for the Kato set, or are they not offered?

Guest Closed Account 1

What's the deal with the Rapido couplers.  Can't a suitable Kato coupler be used? I wonder if this is just a rerelease and using all the old parts.

angusmclean

If it's alternative couplers to Rapido, I used the Kato 11-722. Twist out, twist in.....eaaaasy! Also never uncouples, and has air and electrical connectors simulated.  And cheap.  Ten vehicle sets in a pack for Y360. They will take curves much less than the minimum advised, so long as the track is canted. All my extensive stable is converted to these :)

Angus

Hmmmm .... I've got a 100 series 16 car set and I love it.  Haven't converted it to DCC.  But .... I've just ordered the Kato 0-2000 16 car set.  I've got to wait until June .... long wait.

On the coupler scene, I've just had a look at Kato 11-711 coupler.  Personally, I prefer the look of 11-703 tight lock, but they come undone sometimes.  This leads me to a new problem: what type of coupler is prototypical for the 0 series?  I don't have a single picture in either of my shinkansen books and I couldn't find one using Google.  If anyone can help, please post.

Cheers

The_Ghan

I don't know if they all use the same coupler, but here's a photo of a representaive one from this Japanese Wikipedia page, and this photo (if you enlarge it) appears to show the same coupler on a type 0.

This was a derivative of the Shibata coupler used on most Japanese EMUs, although it has a round profile more similar to the original Scharfenberg design than to the square-profile Shibata.

Hi KenS,

Thanks for the photos ... someone should go to jail for letting the old girl get like that !!!

On to the couplers: the 11-703 tight lock coupler is probably the closest offering from Kato.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Guest Closed Account 1

On the Kato Series 100 Grand Hikari. There are 3 sets to purchase 10-354 10-355 10-356. That's only 14 cars. Does another set of 10-356 have to be purchased or is there a complete set of 16?

Guest Closed Account 1

Page 29 of the catalog shows 16 cars. Each of the 6 Pieces sets has 2 double deckers.

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.katomodels.com%2Fn%2F100kei%2F&sl=ja&tl=en&hl=&ie=UTF-8

● By combining two sets of two in both two and six sets 増結 増結 set basic set can reproduce the 16-car train Sweet!

I'm glad this set has the diaphragm couplers. No searching for prototype replacements.

Guest Closed Account 1

My Kato Series 100 Grand Hikari just arrived. So beautiful.

Check out the surprise at the bottom of the box in the picture below.

Looks like a Kato DCC EM13 can be used.

post-436-13569928259409_thumb.jpg

If you don't mind me asking, where? That looks like the standard Kato pre-DCC Kato design (not the drop in design for the EM13) - 2 tabs from the motor foldered up over the pickup strips and held in with a plastic retainer. The only question is if it's the old-old design (solid chasis) or the new-old design (milled out section hidden in the chasis just big enough for a Digitrax DZ125 decoder to be hidden for a hardwired installation).