Do you like or hate these videos?

NF - Excellent quality on your videos! The only suggestion I would make is on the 1st video if you have an editing program, I would edit a little off the front next time, otherwise very good! :icon_thumright:

NF - Excellent quality on your videos! The only suggestion I would make is on the 1st video if you have an editing program, I would edit a little off the front next time, otherwise very good! :icon_thumright:

Ok.. I will try it next time if I can.. :)

I enjoyed watching them, thanks for posting.

Since you asked for feedback, I'll say a bit more on the parts I didn't like as much, in the spirit of constructive criticism. But I don't want to discouage you from doing more of these. I've seen (and made) much worse, and I'm certainly no expert on movie-making.

The camera-shake, particularly in the start of the second video and the long telephoto shot at the end of the first is very distracting.  I'm not sure how to deal with that without a tripod (which probably isn't allowed on a station platform), but perhaps leaning against a support post or placing the camera atop something could help.  It's very hard to notice such shaking when you're taking the pictures, since your eyes and brain correct for motion. But if you're aware of it, you may be able to minimize it.

The other area to pay attention to is sticking to your subject. The second video was nicely structured around the departure of the train, but in the first there seemed to be a long stretch at the front when nothing was happening, as well as a very distracting jump to the passing airplane.  On the plus side, I liked the bit with the station employee looking through his pockets, even though it didn't seem to be related to the train you were watching.

Finally, and I'll admit this is something of a matter of style, where there is no single "right" answer, composition is something to keep in mind. I thought the shots of the front of the train in the second video were too close. It's probably better to show more of the surrounding context, and to keep the photography "rule of thirds" in mind: the point of compositional focus in a photograph is usually best located 1/3 of the way in from one of the edges, not centered.  I think the shots of the front of the Shinkansen in the first video were better in this regard.

But that aside, I think you generally did a good job of keeping to a specific subject, and the departure of the train in the second video was nicely shot, with relatively smooth motion and good framing.

• Like 1

I've never seen a train video I didn't like. :grin

Keep posting.

I think the others' comments are pretty good advice so I won't go into long winded repetition. One thing about modern digital video cameras is that you can shoot almost continuously, in the old days you were a bit selective to save tape or batteries. An editing program can be your most useful tool to cut out the bits where nothing much is happening.

I enjoyed watching them, thanks for posting.

Since you asked for feedback, I'll say a bit more on the parts I didn't like as much, in the spirit of constructive criticism. But I don't want to discouage you from doing more of these. I've seen (and made) much worse, and I'm certainly no expert on movie-making.

The camera-shake, particularly in the start of the second video and the long telephoto shot at the end of the first is very distracting.  I'm not sure how to deal with that without a tripod (which probably isn't allowed on a station platform), but perhaps leaning against a support post or placing the camera atop something could help.  It's very hard to notice such shaking when you're taking the pictures, since your eyes and brain correct for motion. But if you're aware of it, you may be able to minimize it.

The other area to pay attention to is sticking to your subject. The second video was nicely structured around the departure of the train, but in the first there seemed to be a long stretch at the front when nothing was happening, as well as a very distracting jump to the passing airplane.  On the plus side, I liked the bit with the station employee looking through his pockets, even though it didn't seem to be related to the train you were watching.

Finally, and I'll admit this is something of a matter of style, where there is no single "right" answer, composition is something to keep in mind. I thought the shots of the front of the train in the second video were too close. It's probably better to show more of the surrounding context, and to keep the photography "rule of thirds" in mind: the point of compositional focus in a photograph is usually best located 1/3 of the way in from one of the edges, not centered.  I think the shots of the front of the Shinkansen in the first video were better in this regard.

But that aside, I think you generally did a good job of keeping to a specific subject, and the departure of the train in the second video was nicely shot, with relatively smooth motion and good framing.

Well em.. I forgot to bring along my tripod as it is too heavy to carry and secondly the weather in Japan one that day was so hot that I was continously sweating like a dog! :laugh:  Anyway , I will get a light tripod soon and a brand new camera so that I can even take my video quality to a whole new level. Lol, I didn't notice the station employee in the video until I notice it.. To all members posting in this thread: Thanks for the advices! I will listen to all of them.