Ok, talk to me about the Tomix 5 piece N700 sets..

Samurai_Chris

Samurai_Chris

Hi guys. I have been thinking about getting the Tomix N700-3000 starter set with the 3 cars track and controller.. But I will want to upgrade it at some stage with one of the 5 piece sets that go with this set to make it an 8 car Shinkansen..

The thing is. Although I want to have it authentic, I am thinking that with the poor running of my Tomix 500 motor, I am thinking about going with two motors on both my 500, and if I get the N700-3000... My Tsubame 800 runs like a dream!

So in saying that. Which of the 5 piece sets have a motor?

ps, I can not find any upgrade sets for my Tomix Tsubame 800. So I will be buying the 8 piece Kato set.. I will be running it on my Tomix track with Tomix controllers.. What should I look out for if anything?

Chris

I can not find any upgrade sets for my Tomix Tsubame 800. So I will be buying the 8 piece Kato set.. I will be running it on my Tomix track with Tomix controllers.. What should I look out for if anything?

Nothing. Everything is pretty inter-operable. I've run Kato's and Microace's trains on Minitrix/Fleischmann/Tomix with a Fleischmann powerpack without any problems whatsoever. Don't worry.

Samurai_Chris

PS: I am asking about the 92354 Tomix C 5 piece set? Does the pantograph cab have a motor also?

Or should I just get the starter set and the 92352 Tomix A 5 piece set?

I want to just run an 8 car setup. But am worried about if two motors will be better than one?

I looked at the Kato sets today, but I would like to stick with Tomix if possible..

Chris

Hi Chris - I have the Kato version but I think Marti, Jeff or Quinn might have this model. I've heard good things about it, it supposed to have better pick up since I believe all the cars are connected with brass strips.

If you are going to run the train as DC you should have no problems, if you are planning to go DCC (someday) in my opinion, it's a little harder to put decoders in Tomix trains and you would have to put in 2 with the N700.

Samurai_Chris

Thanks guys. The reason I am leaning toward Tomix, is because I can get the N700 starter pack with extra track and controller for 9,998JPY here in Fukuoka (Toys R Us have a special pack sold only in thier stores!). But that may change if that set doesn't have the brass strips....

To buy the 3 piece motor set on its own is 10,800JPY. So I thought I could get the starter set with controller for a steal, and add a 5p or 3p set to it.. I am thinking about running it as an 8 or 6 car set. But my Tomix 500 Nozomi is giving me the shytes as the motor it farty and jittery with only 4 cars, so I am thinking about running two motors for anything over 6 or 8? (I am actually leaning towards 6 cars...) So I was wondering what add on set had a motor? I am not worried about the car numbers, as I will be using this set as a custom build into an N700-7000 Sakura... (Yes I know there is a Sakura comming next year. But as a custom model builder, I want something different to do)

Anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated..

I will be getting the 6 piece Kato 800 Tsubame also in the next month or so. So that will be my first foray into Kato gear...

Samurai_Chris

Ok, just got back from Toys R Us, and while there, decided to check out that N700 Nozomi set.. It appears that it only has the normal coupling like the one used on the Tomix 500 Nozomi.. So I put it back, and thought at 9,998JPY it had to be too good to be true.. So now I will have to go the two set rout and pay a little extra.. I am leaning toward Tomix because of the all wheel system. But I guess it will depend on availability...

Chris