Water Surface Materials

Thanks for the interesting link. I've tried a few of those products — the wax blocks make terrible water! — but not the "Grain Paint" series yet. I think I'll give that a try in my next diorama.

Bill - Thanks, simulating water for me is hard, so far WS Realistic water has had the best results but at 20.00 USD a bottle...well WOW!

Bill - Thanks, simulating water for me is hard, so far WS Realistic water has had the best results but at 20.00 USD a bottle...well WOW!

WS Realistic Water is just artist's acrylic medium repackaged, isn't it? You should be able to get the same stuff for less than half the price at an art shop.

WS Realistic Water is just artist's acrylic medium repackaged, isn't it? You should be able to get the same stuff for less than half the price at an art shop.

That's what I thought it was but it is a little different. If I had originally cut into the foam not so deep I might have been able to use the Artist's acrylic or Mod Podge. WS realistic water pours on thicker than the others, Artist acrylic goes on like a paint in a thin coat. This has been a learning experience though.

Martijn Meerts

What they do in Rotterdam, at the big layout they have there, is use some rough wallpaper, paint it various colors (light blue for shallow beaches, green/brown for rivers and ponds, dark blue for larger bodies of water etc.) and then just add some glossy floor polish (like the future floor wax stuff). From a distance it looks great, close up it still looks good. Obviously, there's no real feeling of depth though.

A big advantage is that they can easily step on it without destroying anything, seems like a rather nice advantage for such a large layout :)

In Hamburg at miniatur wunderland they have a large bit with real water, and it looks absolutely terrible ..