New Asahikawa Station

bikkuri bahn

The new elevated Asahikawa Station opened today (news report):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE4XA09JT2g

*no good pv's yet- one nearly crashed my computer, and had annoying background diesel engine sound at full blast

I will try to visit this Tuesday to get pics.  I will take a 711 series train (2149M) that's an all stops local from Otaru to Asahikawa. Departing Otaru, the rear 3 cars will be detached at Iwamizawa:

A 711 series train (not 2149M, but rather local 2232M for Iwamizawa) arriving and departing the old Asahikawa Station in winter.  You can see the new elevated track in the background:

• Like 1

Nice news! From my previous experience, the old Asahikawa station was really crap with not much platforms. It 's time to see the Hakodate to Muroran route being electrified soon! BTW, I love the hot Japanese girl in 0:40 of the video.. :grin

The old station might have been crap but like all the old stations it had a railroady, lived in feel to it. While they are a welcome investment in rail transport as a railfan I'm not a big fan of these new style of huge elevated stations, especially if like at Kochi or Izumoshi it means the adjacent yard is moved outside of town and harder to get a look at, though Kochi with it's beautifully done wooden trainshed does have a bit more class than most. It will be interesting to go back in a years time and see what use they have made of the open space in front of the station when the old one is demolished or whether any use has been made of the space under the approach viaducts. I wonder if the Lotteria hamburger joint will move into the new station?

It will be interesting to go back in a years time and see what use they have made of the open space in front of the station when the old one is demolished or whether any use has been made of the space under the approach viaducts. I wonder if the Lotteria hamburger joint will move into the new station?

I believe the open space will be utilized for a landscaped station square of some kind.  Unfortunately the motive power depot/yards (including a nice roundhouse and turntable) near Asahikawa Station were already demolished a few years ago- "right sizing" and efficiency you know...I'll check the station amenities and burger joints when I visit.

A good video of some of the action you can see at the new station, including three freights: