Best Shinkansen Starter Set. Kato or Tomix? 500, N700 or 800?

turtlebaggins

turtlebaggins

Hello!  I am so happy that we found this forum.  We are interested in getting into N-guage, Japanese, Shinkansen, bullet-train-style railroading, especially since my son is a true train-lover.  Does anyone have some good advice on the best starter set?  I found a thread here with some great info on the Kato and Tomix N700 sets, but we really like the styling of the 500 set.  Tomix are really hard to find and I have found a few sites with Kato 500's for a decent price.  Can we go wrong with starting with a Kato 500?  Does everyone agree the led light sets are a must?  Thank you for your expertise!

You can find Tomix at several Japanese internet sites.  Payment is either credit card or PayPal.  Shipping is either EMS (more expensive, very fast, trackable, insured to 20,000 Yen) or SAL (not expensive, not insured, not trackable, slower).

Hobby Search

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/rail/

Plaza Japan

http://stores.ebay.com/Plaza-Japan/_i.html?_dmd=1&_fsub=0&_sasi=1&_sc=1&_sop=1&_vc=1

Hobby World Japan

http://www.hwjapan.com/sh/kengte.aspx?mk=&sc=28

Hey Turtle,

I expect that you're not going to rush into things, especially since you're taking the time to post here first.

Here are my views:

You need to think carefully about starter sets.  Often the best trains don't come with the best track.  For example, I believe the Kato Shinkansen starter sets ship with 282mm radius curves, but Kato recommends 315mm or 348mm radius for Shinkansens.  My opinion is that Tomix track is superior in a number of ways, but they don't offer any "DCC Friendly" trains.  So, as I'm going DCC, most of my trains are Kato models that can accept the proprietary, slide in, Kato decoders.

Divorce yourself from the thought that you need to get your trains and track from the same manufacturer.  Even if you are not going down the DCC (digital) path, different manufacturers concentrate on producing different types of train.

The 500 series Shinkansen is one of my favourite trains.  A good choice for starting out.  Kato and Tomix offer the Nozomi 500 series as a starter set. http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10050583 and http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10049696.  The Kato version is not one of their DCC Friendly range anyway so I suggest you compare the track available from each manufacturer and pick one. BTW, I'm using the Hobby Search website for reference only, but they are a good retailer.

If you do go down the DCC path non-DCC Friendly trains can still be retrofitted with decoders anyway.  I am yet to fit decoders to my 500 series, which is a Kato.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

The_Ghan

• Like 1

I started with the Tomix 0 series 90152 basic set because it doesn't come with a small layout like the others and especially because it's a 6 car set that looks more like a "real train" than a 4 or 3 cars set.

10075530a3.jpg

I'm really happy about it! ^_^

CaptOblivious

I think the Kato 500 starter set is a fine choice. Either manufacturers' starter sets are a nice discount beyond buying the train, track, and throttle seperately. Also, its a good way to get a smal sample of that manufactuers track to see how you like it. Kato Unitrack is good, and easy to acquire outside of Japan. I prefer tomix track, but I have to import it myself from a Japanese retailer, which is a turn off to some, and that's ok.

And welcome to the board!

turtlebaggans - Welcome to the board!

I just have 2 questions, how old is your son and will you be doing the hobby together? I ask this for a couple of reasons: if he is a "little guy" the N scale might be too much for him to start off with, there are some great Japanese sets for kids that I think Don's daughter has.

If he is older and responsible (these n scale trains can be expensive) then go for it.

If it's a hobby for both of you, which is the best of all situations, you'll get to spent a lot of time together and create memories and you can't put a price tag on that. (My fondest memories of my father is running trains together)

That's my 2 cents, otherwise the guys here are giving you great advice and breaking down all your options, (the pros and cons of each set)....enjoy! 

I think the Kato 500 starter set is a fine choice. Either manufacturers' starter sets are a nice discount beyond buying the train, track, and throttle seperately. Also, its a good way to get a small sample of that manufactuers track to see how you like it. Kato Unitrack is good, and easy to acquire outside of Japan. I prefer tomix track, but I have to import it myself from a Japanese retailer, which is a turn off to some, and that's ok.

And welcome to the board!

A starter set is also a good way to avoid failing to get a key piece like a Tomix DC feeder.

• Like 2

I think the starter and other sets made by both Kato and Tomix are infinitely better value than any other train set on the market and you couldn't really go wrong with either bearing in mind the points Bernard made.

Going against the grain a bit, from a cost perspective it might be best to consider where you live. Even SAL shipping can be expensive (and it is only allowed up to a certain size, starter sets are certainly EMS), and those starter sets are heavy.

If you want to go with Tomix track, then you will almost certainly need to buy it from Japan (and pay the shipping). If you want to go with Kato track, then depending on your country it may be much cheaper to buy the track locally, and order just the trains from Japan. Buying the track/controller locally also lets you avoid any questions about the compatiblity of the power supply.

If you're in Australia it's much cheaper buying anything Japanese from Japan even with EMS shipping, Kato track is also cheaper from the U.S. than locally.

In the U.S., a 4-car Kato 500 Series train (no track) is available from MB Klein (aka modeltainstuff.com):

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/KATO_N_10510_Series_500_Shinkansen_Nozomi_4_car_p/kat-10510.htm

and they also carry Kato's M1 starter set (track and U.S.-spec power pack):

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/product_p/kat-20850-1.htm

In fact, if you aren't committed to the 500 Series, they have Kato's 700 Series Starter set (track, train and power pack) as well:

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/product_p/kat-10-007.htm

The train does look better on large radius track, so you might want to consider separately buying the train, power-pack, and something like the V11 double-track set, which uses R381/R414 radius curves (although you'd need to trains and two power packs to use both tracks, one train alone still looks really cool on double-track):

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/KATO_N_10510_Series_500_Shinkansen_Nozomi_4_car_p/kat-10510.htm

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/product_p/kat-22014.htm

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/product_p/kat-20870-1.htm

See their Japanese Prototypes and Starter Sets pages for other options:

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Kato_N_Japanese_Prototype_s/2448.htm

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/category_s/410.htm

While you can add lighting, and the LED version is definiely preferable to the original bulb lighting, it's a pain to install and can be quite frustrating. I'd recommend just getting the unlit train to start, and enjoying that.  Lighting is something you can add later, which is what I did, although I haven't yet added lighting to my Kato Nozomi 500 Series.

Note: This sounds a bit like an ad, but I have no affiliation with modeltrainstuff other than as a satisfied customer.

Note: This sounds a bit like an ad, but I have no affiliation with modeltrainstuff other than as a satisfied customer.

I was going to mention MB Klein (ModelTrainStuff) but I have no idea if he lives in the US or Canada. Unless you have a LHS selling Unitrack for below MSRP, it's hard to beat.

Turtle,

welcome to a fun new hobby!

I would caution on the kato n700. having both the kato and tomix versions i found the kato one very fiddly and would not run well on the large radius kato viaduct track. the tomix runs like a champ and has the all wheel pickup (power is shared between cars thru the couplers). the kato might be frustrating for a kids or someone starting out. it got frustrating enough for me that i sold off my kato n700!

I have both the kato and tomix 500 series and love them, they run well on the kato double viaduct track. i have not run them much on smaller radius track except for a few extreme tests which it would take some pretty narrow curves, but look really bad!

the regular 700 is also really an nice train. both kato and tomix are good runners.

the kato double viaduct is a really good track set if you want to do some shinkansens first. its very strudy and you can easily add in the viaduct station platform set later as well. then later add ground level tracks for local and express trains. nice thing about the elevated viaduct track is that it keeps it off the ground if you are setting up on the floor temporally! it also has a very tight and tough connection system so it keeps its shape well if banged into. if you watch on ebay these sets come up at times cheaper.

on the trains dont be afraid to buy from japan thru Hobby world or Hobby search. you will find it just like buying from a us online store and some of the prices can be better than buying in the us and definitely a much larger selection!

kato unitrak may be the easist thing to use. its available all over the place in the us. tomix fine track is nice, but not distributed in the us so you have to order it from japan. while not horrible to do this and shipping is not too bad on it, you can pick up a pack of track from the LHS! also the unijoiners on the kato track are replaceable and these are the bits to get wrenched more my smaller kids snapping and unsnapping track.

take a look at what our club did on our first layout and you can see what you can do pretty easily w/o nailing things down to get started having fun with japanese trains! http://www.japanrailmodelers.org

have fun!

cheers

jeff

Samurai_Chris

Hi and welcome. I too am only new....

I got both the Tomix 500 and 800 "Tsubame" starter sets so that I could take advantage of the extra track and controllers.. I plan on picking up the N700 next month for yet another controller, and the chance to have my first go at transforming it from an N700-3000 to an N700-8000 Sakura (My daughters name)... Will be repainting and doing the decals myself...

(The reason I will be going with all three (500, 800, & N700), is because they are used in my local area Kyushu and Fukuoka. But if you wanted the whole box and dice all over Japan. I am sure you will find it in some way or another!)

You can't go wrong with the starter sets if you need controllers and are just starting out. But getting the extra cars is a hassle, unless you purchase the full sets.. I just picked myself up the 4 piece extra set for my 500 to make it an 8 car Hakata set. And I am just about to get the full set of 6 of the Tomix 800 Tsubame. (This will however leave me with the original starter set sitting idle)....

You could also do what Kumo has done, and gone for quantity. But that is if you are into the older series Shinkansens (And I am not) No disrespect Kumo..

The fact is, starting like me only a few weeks ago, I had nothing. Within 2 weeks, I am now the proud owner of two starter kits. With two more upgrade sets on the way. And in the process building my first layout.. So don't get too addicted and research everything thoroughly... I am lucky that I live in Japan, and have everything within driving distance. So if you do buy, buy what you can afford to start out.. This really is a fun hobby...

The thing is, I am getting alot of enjoyment not just for the trains. But the planning of how I want to set them up and all that goes with it....

• Like 1

You could also do what Kumo has done, and gone for quantity. But that is if you are into the older series Shinkansens (And I am not) No disrespect Kumo..

None taken.

I don't want to model a particular era or area. I just want the trains I like, thankfully 0 series was one of them.

Iif I can, later I even plan to add some Swiss trains to what I own but compared to Jtrains, they are sooooo expensive (1 loc = 1 Shinkansen set...).

What I could advice is: take the one you like! Take your favorite train and you'll be happy with it.

On Kato vs Tomix, if your not into DCC (I'm not) just think if you want to order all your tracks on the web or if you can have the Kato on the local store. Again, it was not a problem for me as Kato and Tomix are both not easy to find in Switzerland and I'm used to order a lot on the internet.

I have Tomix tracks, 2 Tomix trains (Shinkansen) and 2 local Kato trains and still addicted! Too bad I'm broken at the time to keep goin' !  :grin

turtlebaggins

Thanks for all of the great replies and advice!  There sure is a lot to consider and anytime I find a good deal, the shipping from Japan is a killer (Thanks for the tip on Modeltrainstuff - their shipping prices are good).  We live in the US so if we can find US dealers, it is better.  I would also hate for a set/train to arrive from Japan damaged and then have to deal with shipping back.  Thus, for about two seconds, I looked at the Bachman Acela sets, but if you read reviews on their own website, NO ONE is pleased with them.  The Japanese Shinkansens are way cooler anyway and closer to the look that my kid likes.  He is seven now, but a total train nut, who has lovingly ran my old HO sets and the larger Lionel O gauge for a few years now, and is begging for a real electric bullet train for Christmas.  I am intrigued if anyone knows of a good kids' bullet train set aside from Kato or Tomix N-gauges, that would maybe not be such a financial investment, but I know that he will not be thrilled on Christmas morning with a Tomy plastic-track train that crawls around the track.  (Unless, of course, there is a set that really does move quickly around a track and has a fairly authentic look.  I haven't found any, but am open to any and all suggestions!).

Based on this thread and everyone's replies, my take-aways are that either Kato or Tomix would be good, but that the starter kits that I was researching included tracks with too small a radius on turns to look good for Shinkansens.  That would put me in the position of buying the pieces separately, which is fine.  I think I would just lean towards Kato because their stuff is simply more widely available in the US.  We would actually also prefer a double-track, as a few posters suggested, because of the cool look and potential to add trains and a second power source down the line.  I checked-out the Kato Double Viaduct set (12?), but it looks like you would need two of these at least to complete a full circle?  Whereas the Double Track Elevated Loop V13, looks like a simple loop, which seems like it would be good to start with and costs in the ballpark of $100, which is around what I want to spend.  Is anyone familiar with this track set and whether the radius is more acceptable for running the Shinkansens?  Then, I think the Kato 22014 is the right power source, but online suppliers seem to disagree on whether this is 1 or 1.5 amp.  Lastly, the set we would be looking at would be the Kato N 10510, which is the four car 500 set.  We would like more cars but the grand total for the four car set ($127), the power source ($47), and the double-elevated track ($119) is $295 before shipping.  Luckily, somehow, modeltrainstuff, says they can ship this UPS ground for $11, which is far cry from the $80 EMS prices from Japan.

Does this look like it would be a good "starter set" if we bought these three things?  I am also really intrigued with the Kato led coach lights.  Does anyone know if these can install in the front and back "engines" as well?  I like to disassemble stuff, so install should not be a problem for us if you think they add a high degree of "cool factor" for a 7-year old.

If we get this set for my son at Christmas, he will about blow the Santa budget!  Don't know what the other three kids will be getting!  ;)

Thanks!

Jennifer

CaptOblivious

Since all (or nearly all) the carriages on a shinkansen are self-propelled, the frontmost and rearmost carriages on the shinkansen are "cab cars"—they contain the driver's cab. Both the Tomix and Kato interior lighting units are designed to be very easily cut down for fitting into slightly shorter cars—the instruction booklet that came with the train will tell you when and if such cutting down is necessary, and where to make the cut. The Kato ones, at least, are a bit fiddly, so be prepared for some frustration in getting the various bits and bobs aligned just so, so they don't flicker and stay on reliably. But the effort is totally worth it, 'cause they look really good!

As for which track set to buy, the V11, V12 and V13 are all wider radius double track sets (the tracks are 15" and 16", wider then the 12" radius in the M1 and starter sets, though I'd argue 12" is just barely enough to run a shinkansen, though it looks silly).

The V12 viaduct set is really meant to be combined with another set (like the V11), it doesn't seem to have enough curves to complete a loop like the V2 set (which still looks silly if you run it by itself). Kato includes a booklet with all the sets suggesting track plans for various combinations.

The V13 set is a raised track set - it's also unique in that it models slab rail design, so there are no sleepers. Unless you are set on a raised track it would not be my choice for a first set, as it's just an oval on raised peers, and without the V12 set or similar pieces you can't connect it to group level track.

The V11 set would be my choice - not only is it the cheapest, it is also an interesting track plan on it's own, and easily connects with other sets. The savings could easily be translated into a second controller (the blue Kato power pack is 1.5 amps last I checked, either way more then enough to run 1 or 2 trains).

Clearly don't blow over Santa's budget. You don't need to. Start with something small, your kid will be more than thrilled in any case. Take the starter set you wanted and maybe throw in a little something more if you really feel like it (like a sidding or such to add some fun / you can even think about only adding a layout track book it will make him dream and drool for hours). You'll have enough time (and occasions) to buy more track (and trains/cars) later. No need to overdo and extend yourself for a first contact with N scale.

Jennifer,

i was referring to the v13 set for the double track elevated loop. its around $100 or less if you lurk ebay or $120 at modeltrainstuff. this is a very simple starter set that keeps stuff off the floor if you are running there! its the wide radius for the shinkansens and keeps them from looking too strange on tighter radiuses.

the tomica trains you got are great. there are loads of japanese prototypes you can buy on ebay from sellers in hong kong at reasonable prices shipped. very fun way for smaller kids (and you) to play with the trains. there are some that are remote controlled as well! lots of interesting track variations as well.

on the shipping from japan, SAL is another option when ordering from hobby world or hobby serach. its about the cost of priority mail in the us, small orders are $5-10 and larger ones closer to $12-15. it maxes out at around 1.5-2kg where it gets cheaper then to send things ems. but usually for a 7 car train set its about $8-10 to ship it SAL. it takes usually about 2 weeks to get here (sometimes a week or less, sometimes up to 3 weeks as it comes air when there is room on the plane). you dont get tracking or insurance like you do with ems. i have had like 200 sal shippments over the years and none have gone poof and only a couple with some box squish, but never anything broken. ive samed a few thousand dollars in shipping so im now pretty self insured. others have had some minor damage to items, but usually the train sets are pretty tough as they all come in very nice storage boxes that are then wrapped in bubble wrap, padded with newspaper and good cardboard box then (hs has really thick boxes). never had a set damaged in shipping and i must have over 100 trains now... (look what you got yourself into!)

kleins is now stocking some of the kato trains which is nice and the prices are not too bad (about 20% over hs and hw), but the selection is thinner and they go hot and cold on stocking japanese trains. they are great for unitrak as they are a regional distributor so tend to have a very good stock and good prices.

the kato power pack is fine to run shinkansens, plenty of juice, i would have to look but i think my us wall wart version is a 1amp. we run two motor, 16 car trains on the jrm layout all the time with it and no problems. just about any n scale power pack will work fine with these trains. just make sure to keep the throttle down if you have an HO pack that goes up to like 16v.

You are in luck for a cheap starter set for a kid, kato just released new productions of the pocket line trains. there is a set with the little steam engine and two passenger cars, loop of track and a very simple battery powered transformer that has some sound. bout $85 shipped from japan.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10113317

also they have just engine and two car sets available you can just use on a loop of unitrak and a regular transformer

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10113314

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10113311

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10113309

while not shinkansens they are quite fun.

another cheap throttle option for kids is the tomytec battery powered throttle. no sound, but nice trottle action and direction lever! fine to power the small sets above or a tram.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10072782

one last kid cheaper option are the bandai b-train shorties. you can find some threads about them in the forum here to learn more. basically they are little 1/3 length snap together models (sort of cute squished versions) that bandai makes for kids, but have become a big collector item. you buy the static model (snaps together in like 10 minutes), then you can replace the trucks/wheels with metal running ones and put in a small motor chasis into one of the cars (all simple snap together upgrades)

http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php/topic,3321.0.html

http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php/topic,377.0.html

basic static 4 car train is about $20-25

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/list/717/0/1

problem is they get sold out pretty fast as they tend to be collector runs now and shinkansens are not as well represented (500 was the last shinkansen they did this year and it sold out w/in a couple of months). it is also hard to go above a 4 car train for most of them as they sell either 2 packs with a head and middle car or 4 packs with 2 head and 2 middles for most trains. a few they sell 4 packs of center cars but thats rare. so usually you are limited to 4-8 car trains w/o investing a lot of money and throwing half the cars away! but with the btrains having a shorter number of cars is cool as the cars are shorter!

power chasis is about $23

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10123652

or you can use the kato versions a little cheaper at $19

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10032823

then running trucks about $3/pair or car

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10032824

you can also put on nice pantographs as well

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10003615

so it costs about $60-70 or so to do a little 4 car train all decked out. not that cheap, but its sort of a fun way to assemble your trains some. they are not difficult to do at all, would take a lot of supervision with a 7 year old, but might be a fun thing for him to do. static modes are fun by themselves and pretty sturdy.

have fun!

jeff

Clearly don't blow over Santa's budget. You don't need to. Start with something small, your kid will be more than thrilled in any case. Take the starter set you wanted and maybe throw in a little something more if you really feel like it (like a sidding or such to add some fun / you can even think about only adding a layout track book it will make him dream and drool for hours). You'll have enough time (and occasions) to buy more track (and trains/cars) later. No need to overdo and extend yourself for a first contact with N scale.

Overblow the budget, a 500-series is worth it.  :cool:

Krackel Hopper

one last kid cheaper option are the bandai b-train shorties. you can find some threads about them in the forum here to learn more. basically they are little 1/3 length snap together models (sort of cute squished versions) that bandai makes for kids, but have become a big collector item. you buy the static model (snaps together in like 10 minutes), then you can replace the trucks/wheels with metal running ones and put in a small motor chasis into one of the cars (all simple snap together upgrades)

I'll add another vote for the B-train Shorty!

I love these things.  The basic model is nice, but adding the N-scale trucks and motor, these little guys go, and look awesome doing so!

Another great thing about them, you don't need huge radius curves to run them on.  These little trains will run on even the smallest (well, second to smallest) Tomix 140mm radius.. so if you got a basic Kato M1 or M2 starter set, the Unitrack 315mm curves will be a breeze..

4 car 500 Series set A:  http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10119042 ~ $25

4 car 500 Series set B:  http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10119043 ~ $25

or

4 car 700 Series Set A: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10069504 ~ $25

4 car 700 Series Set B: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10069506 ~ $25

Kato motor: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10032823 ~ $20

7 Kato trucks: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10032824 ~ $21

Roughly $100 shipped for an 8 car 500 Series.. add on an M1 or M2 purchased via Ebay (or locally) for roughly another $100..

Here's a video of someone who pieced together a full 16 car set.  

turtlebaggins

Krackel,

I love the Bandai Shorties!  The look and size is perfect for a seven-year old who loves trains and is now utterly enthralled with the Japanese Shinkansen bullet trains!  They seem like a great next step, while leaving lots of more sophisticated options in marketplace for him to grow into as his railroading hobby develops.  I can also shave about $100 off the cost for his gift and he gets an 8 car train instead of a 4 car Kato or Tomix. 

Loved the video with the speed and the tight turn radius!  I think the M2 track would be perfect from him with the siding so he can line-up his train before hitting the rails.  It also includes the Kato 22014 power pack, or at least that is what one of the vendors claims.  Do you think the trucks and motor would be pretty easy to install and are you sure these are compatible?  (Not second-guessing, but I would be ready to order this now, I like it so much for him!)  We are always cannibalizing old train parts around here and reassembling, so I am pretty confident in our install abilities if you say it's easy.

Thanks for the great suggestion and solution for newbie Japanese model-train railroaders like ourselves!  I am going to have one happy little boy on Christmas morning, and I get to have my new train fix!  I don't know who's going to be more excited, me or him....

Jen

Krackel Hopper

hey hey,

As Jeff said earlier, these come as "plastic kits".. pre-painted and rather easy to assemble.  A 7yr old may need some help or supervision.  Some parts need to be clipped off a plastic sprue.  The Kato motor I suggested just drops into the bottom of the car.  It has clips at the same spacing as the undercarriage of the model.. so instead of installing the undercarriage provided, you just drop the motor into it.. very simple.  Installing the Kato N-scale trucks is also very simple.  Possibly easier than installing the trucks that come with the kit.  This undercarriage piece has a hole at either end, and the Kato trucks have a plastic pin that you just press in.. and done..

Here's a review of how to assemble a B-train Shorty.  This happens to be a commuter car, but it is the same basic concept for all B-trains..  takes maybe 15min per car.. if that.. probably closer to 5min once you assemble a couple.

http://www.1999.co.jp/blog/img/bt_e231s_e.html

It is indeed a good way to grow into the hobby.. at 7yr old, the Plarail stuff might be a little too kid like for him.. hopefully this is a little more grown up.. and still very durable.  The actual N-scale makers (Kato/Tomix/MicroAce/Etc) are very delicate and things like pantographs and hand rails can easily break.. as I am sure many on here know from first hand experience..

and yes, the M1 & M2 come with the Kato power pack..

Jon

• Like 1