National railway day

bikkuri bahn

This October 14 is national railway day in Japan.  Many railway events, shed open houses, and lectures are scheduled during the month to commemorate the event.  This poster was at my local subway station with a schedule of events in Hokkaido in the lower portion.  With the exception of the Goryokaku (Hakodate) Maintenance Depot Open House on Oct. 9, most of the events are smaller indoor affairs, reflecting the colder temperatures here in Hokkaido (most outdoor events i.e. depot open days, are held in the summer months here).  The picture is of a C58 hauling a rake of 12 kei coaches across the Oyahana Bridge on the Chichibu Railway in Saitama.

post-167-13569926180643_thumb.jpg

Nice poster! I love the idea of a national railway day. Says a lot about the way the railway is regarded in Japan.

Cheers,

Mark.

Yes, I would think some other countries would have similar days (especially Great Britain, it after all invented the railway- possibly that nation's biggest contribution to mankind other than the English language).

Curiously, national railway day in its current form began back in 1994.  Previously it was known as "railway anniversary day", and was mainly an event focusing on the JR Group companies (and JNR before that).  The current event is intended to celebrate the history and contributions of all railway and mass transit companies and workers.

This October 14 is national railway day in Japan.  Many railway events, shed open houses, and lectures are scheduled during the month to commemorate the event.  This poster was at my local subway station with a schedule of events in Hokkaido in the lower portion. 

There are a couple of railway events here in the Nagoya area too, mainly on the 9th and 10th. Hopefully I'll be able to go and check them out.

17 October 2010 "JR 2010 Plant Festival Kokura Kyushu"

The body of a 415 series 1500 series] is [Kuha 411-1613.

※ The 883 system back and Kobe (Kawasakizyuukou) are parked before the train journey to Furike s s Shi.

2010.10.17 JR Kokura Plant Kyuusyuu

JR freight open house in Hiroshima I'm going to.  But looks like the weather won't cooperate (rain).  Oh well, at least the bogie swapping/carbody lift demo will be indoors...