Tomix E3 & 400 Series, what is the driving mechanism inside?

Bernard

I'm looking at a Tomix E3 & 400 series trains and I curious what the driving mechanism is inside the cab that drives the trucks. If it's that "spring drive" like the attached photo? Also if any members have these models, what are your opinions on them?

Thanks

post-22-1356992614003_thumb.jpg

Bernard,

I'm afraid I don't have those models to say. I'd be surprised if they did rely on spring drives, though (perhaps that is youthful optimism,.)

Look at the Tomix parts list here:

http://www.tec-station.jp/shop/ProductSearch.do?action=simplelist&search=2&sub_genre_id=10115&genre_group_id=1&grand_genre_id=101

This is a list of all the spring drives currently in production. Given that neither the E3 nor 400 is listed, I would guess they do not use a spring drive.

Indeed, here is proof the 400 at least does not:

http://www.tec-station.jp/shop/ProductDetail.do?sub_genre_id=10114&pid=JF03

Plain old plastic drive shafts for the 400-series!

Don - Thanks! I decided to go with the E3.

I purchased a older Tomix series, the Nagoya 70000, a while back and it came with that spring worm.....can I say LOUD! Plus I don't like the fact that I personally believe that the design will wear down the gears that it "meshes" with on top of the trucks will wear down at a faster rate than normal.

I'm hoping the conversion to DCC goes easy on the E3.

spacecadet - I have a feeling that Tomix no longer makes the spring worm. The drive shafts are a nice smooth fit to a worm inside of the trains trucks. Whereas the spring worm lies on top of the truck that it "meshes" to the gears on top of the trucks. The Nagoya train is by far the loudest in my fleet and getting replacement parts from Japan isn't a breeze.

Martijn Meerts

What's the deal with spring drive vs. a driveshaft?  Why is the former less desirable?

Mainly because the spring drive is noisy, unreliable and gives the train really bad running characteristics and next to no pulling power ;)

As for the 400 series, I have an older Tomix 400, which actually runs quite well. It's a bit noisy and the detailing isn't like the modern stuff. But what's interesting about it, is that the motor is in one of the end cars, not very common with Japanese trains it seems ;)