JNR 185 Series in Shonan livery

miyakoji

Here's a brand new one out on youtube from the prolific contributor tobu2181

Of course it isn't a reaction to JR West's decision to go with solid (and sometimes hideous) colors for their non-express rolling stock, but it's great to see some interesting liveries.  And if paint jobs really do make a difference in the bottom line, I guess it makes sense that JR East, who I always think of as having funds, to go with something a little fancier.  Of all the JNR-era liveries, I'm actually a bigger fan of the Yokosuka scheme, but this is still cool.

Nice one there.  If I really blur my eyes, I can imagine it as a 165 series.  Anyway, this is a one-off for the 50th anniversary of the limited express Kusatsu (serving Kusatsu hot springs in Gunma Prefecture).  Here's the schedule of this special train:

October 9/10 Kusatsu #51 Shinjuku 10:59dep.  arr. Naganoharakusatsu 13:28

October 11 Kusatsu #52 Naganoharakusatsu 12:13dep.  arr. Shinjuku 14:54

*this trainset in shonan iro will also be used for selected Kusatsu, Minakami and Akagi services through the duration of the campaign period until the end of November.

is that the 185-0 series (runs south out of Tokyo Station) or the 185-200 (north out of Ueno)?

300 subseries.  If you watch the vid in HD, it looks like 185-306.

That looks just horrible. A 185 Series trying to be an 80 Series... :sad:

Ouch!

That looks just horrible. A 185 Series trying to be an 80 Series... :sad:

The paint scheme doesn't really match the busy (aluminum sashes!), squarish and typically early eighties front end, but the sides are nice, and no wonder- their lines are pure 70's JNR in inspiration.