Private Railways in the 1960s

marknewton

Another very interesting blog, with some lovely photos of private railways, tramways and "keiben".

http://umemado.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2010-01-01T00%3A00%3A00%2B09%3A00&updated-max=2011-01-01T00%3A00%3A00%2B09%3A00&max-results=50

There's some great images on this one, including my two favourite Japanese steamers.

900-113+img205-1.jpg

Jobu Railway No.7, Pittsburgh 1711 of 1897. Judging by the amount of water streaming from the cylinder drain cocks, No.7 was being lit up at the time the photo was taken.

800-100+img149ss.jpg

Jobu Railway No.3, Dübs 2765 of 1891. No.3 was originally Osaka Railway No.6. As far as I'm aware it was the first engine in Japan with Walschaerts valve gear. And she survives today, preserved in Tokyo.

Cheers,

Mark.

My pleasure, Toni - glad you liked it. Did you have a look at the Enoden pages yet?  :grin

Cheers,

Mark.

EDIT: I'm a bonehead, I'm thinking of another blog, which I haven't posted a link you yet. Sorry!  :sad:

Man...  I love these small little railways.  Makes me seriously think of backdating Shintahara to the late 60's (Still want to have a 581 series ;) )  Excellent find...  this puppy's going into the bookmarks for sure, thanks for sharing :)

Man...  I love these small little railways.  Makes me seriously think of backdating Shintahara to the late 60's (Still want to have a 581 series ;) )  Excellent find...  this puppy's going into the bookmarks for sure, thanks for sharing :)

My pleasure Dan. There's a few other blogs and sites I've found like this, I'll post them when I get a chance tomorrow. It's great to know there are others here who share my passion for the smaller railways.

Cheers,

Mark.

Toni, this is the blog I was thinking of!

http://blog.goo.ne.jp/miznetx/c/19b46516dcd7b45ad1afcc6022be4e78

Thanks for the link! Unfortunately the Enoden is such a small railway line all blogs are basically of the same breed and tend to get boring very quickly.

However, the link you posted in the thread opening is much more interesting and very very interesting and inspiring! I love those villages where the trams/trains used to run on non-paved roads, close by houses and shops, shoddy trackwork and a wonderful atmosphere surrounding the scenes (despite the poverty sometimes displayed). All in all a great inspiration for my future modules! :)

Jobu Railway No.3, Dübs 2765 of 1891. No.3 was originally Osaka Railway No.6. As far as I'm aware it was the first engine in Japan with Walschaerts valve gear. And she survives today, preserved in Tokyo.

Cheers,

Mark.

Oh good, glad to know that. She is a sweet little loco...

Cheers NB

Nick, I haven't seen the engine in person, but it's apparently located at a "railway school" in Ikebukuro. Be interesting to know more about this - perhaps one of the forum members in Tokyo can tell us more?

87_big.jpg

http://wikimapia.org/10856772/Seibu-Railway-Steam-Locomotive-No-3

And yes, she is a lovely little engine. It's a funny thing, for all the time I've spent working on big mainline steam locos, it's quaint little machines like No.3 that hold the most appeal for me. I'd love to have a chance to run her.

Cheers,

Mark.

Thanks for the link! Unfortunately the Enoden is such a small railway line all blogs are basically of the same breed and tend to get boring very quickly.

That's fair enough. I suppose there's only so much you can say about a small railway like the Enoden.

However, the link you posted in the thread opening is much more interesting and very very interesting and inspiring! I love those villages where the trams/trains used to run on non-paved roads, close by houses and shops, shoddy trackwork and a wonderful atmosphere surrounding the scenes (despite the poverty sometimes displayed). All in all a great inspiration for my future modules! :)

They are very inspirational images, aren't they? The only downside is that there aren't enough hours in the day to model them all!  :grin

All the best,

Mark.

The blog post from Sept 12 on Okayuma Station is awesome.  That would make for a perfect Micro layout in On30.  Three turnouts and a curving line off through trees to staging.  Who could ask for more?  I happen to have a stripped down Athearn S12 chassis at home that I don't know what to do with....  Hmmmm