Remote uncoupling

maxa1

Hi all,

How do you practice remote uncoupling with Microtrain(Kato) and Kadee couplers? Are there any commercial un-couplers available for Z/N gauge(Permanent magnets or coil type)? Assume that not everybody is using the big hand from the sky  :grin

Also noticed the lack of working color signals on many layouts(both here and on the web).....any reason for this?

Cheers

Max

Both Kato and Tomix make working color signals for DC layouts, but the Tomix ones are often sold out, and both are quite expensive (Tomix also makes two-color, two different four-color and five-color signals).  I'm going to eventually do working signals, but I have a DCC layout, so I'll probably end up making my own, both for cost and because I don't need the DC control logic.

I run passenger trains, which are permanently coupled sets, so my uncoupler is the "big hand from the sky", on those rare occasions one is needed.

I use the big hand from the sky because that's the way we do it on the real thing. Hand uncoupling tools are available from a number of sources.

• Like 1

For Microtrains you could use permanent magnets - neodynium magnets are powerfull and cheaper than those ready made one, but I have not tried them - but you need metal hooks on the couplers else it does not work. Or as said before: the hand from the sky (use skewers instead of buying some tools, much cheaper and they work better).

Andreas

I remember when I was a kid, I had a Märklin un-coupler for my HT trains. It was so much fun to switch from passenger train to merchandise train without moving from the throttle! ^_^

But with J-trains, it's not the same I have to admit, I won't uncouple my shinkansen or relay tsubame really often... (and I dont't have -yet?!- a freight train).

Rix Products makes a magnetic hand uncoupling tool for Kadee(microtrain?) couplers. Pins,screwdriver blades etc might do the job too,albeit that requires good spot lightning, keen eyesight and a steady hand.

J-trains do have lots loco hauled equipment, if you model the earlier JNR period, so you have to attach/detach a suitable loco as required. Coaches and wagons can be kept as rakes,shunting is notoriously unreliable with N gauge and smaller, mostly due lack of weight.

Tomix and Kato color signals are rather overscale and over priced.....the lenses of real signals are only 150mm OD. Probably scratch building can solve this problem.

Cheers

Max

I spent almost a year developing a system that works about 97%, tried to get companies to look at it and got no where. Even got a warning that they will only try to take the idea and patent around it. Put a lot of time and money into it so its just hidden in the closet now. LOL

Inobu

Both Kato and Tomix make working color signals for DC layouts, but the Tomix ones are often sold out, and both are quite expensive (Tomix also makes two-color, two different four-color and five-color signals).  I'm going to eventually do working signals, but I have a DCC layout, so I'll probably end up making my own, both for cost and because I don't need the DC control logic.

I run passenger trains, which are permanently coupled sets, so my uncoupler is the "big hand from the sky", on those rare occasions one is needed.

Ken,

I'll be curious to know how you proceed with the home made signals as I'm also on DCC and looking to add signals to my layout.  What DCC supplier did you go with?  Have you thought about the Digitrax signals?

Cheers

The-Ghan

I use the big hand from the sky because that's the way we do it on the real thing.

Okay, that made me laugh out loud!  :grin

Also noticed the lack of working color signals on many layouts(both here and on the web).....any reason for this?

I'm building my own signals, but these are really only for turnout/points indication purposes (they'll be 'working' in that they'll be primarily a red and green LED indicating point settings)...not the sort of prototypical block signaling that you may be referring too.  In fact, I started to read some of the materials from Viessman on wiring up their lights for operation based on the German/DB system...my brain started to smoke so I quickly stopped that investigation!  Anyhow, I'm using basic manual toggles as well, and not DCC, for these signals.  Not sure why.  Maybe because if there's an EMP blast I'll only have to replace the decoders in my locomotives!  :grin

I'll be curious to know how you proceed with the home made signals as I'm also on DCC and looking to add signals to my layout.  What DCC supplier did you go with?  Have you thought about the Digitrax signals?

I actually bought the SE8C and wiring, as well as several TSMK boards back in June.  I'm planning to scratch-build my own signal masts, to be able to use four-light heads, replicating one of the common Japanese designs, and control them using JMRI's software.  However, work on that is on hold, as I've been too busy trying to get the trains running this summer.  I hope to resume work this fall.

I have a page on my plans, although it's still somewhat in a draft state at this point and likely to change as I learn more.

Inobu,don't hide it...put it on here  :cool:

Cheers

Max

I spent almost a year developing a system that works about 97%, tried to get companies to look at it and got no where. Even got a warning that they will only try to take the idea and patent around it. Put a lot of time and money into it so its just hidden in the closet now. LOL

Inobu

OK,

This is the actual modules in operation. The modules operates the couplers based on your movements. It works about 97% of the time, from time to time you can have a mishaps but it just takes some manipulation onto another module which makes it realistic enough. I have another video that shows the Kato's maxi IV operating in the same manner but this is the MT's .

This is all one video, I think some people think I am doing stop action with the camera but it is all one shot non stop.  

I liked interaction and wanted to shunting the yard. Now that I switched to JDM I want to be able to shunt koki's and the M250. I need to convert the JR rails cars to magnetic one but have not had time to develop a mod for them yet.

Here is the youtube it is a blast when you have complete control over the complete yard.            

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-FESXZhmbo?fs=1&hl=en_US

Oh,, on one of my test cases I have the module on the main line ran a slow roll for 45 laps and of the 46 lap I stopped the train releases a group of car and picked the up from behind. 

• Like 1
Here is the youtube it is a blast when you have complete control over the complete yard.           

When I first read that, I wasn't convinced. :grin  After I watched your video...that seems so cool!  :cheesy

Yet, one more feature that I have to make a decision about at some point!  :grin

Inobu, that video is awesome. Is this secret system of yours installed in the track or is it a modification to the coupler system? I hope you don't mind me asking. I'm just curious because I've never seen anything like that.

Also, I know that kato makes an uncoupling track section that I've heard described as just a magnet built into the track. How does the kato system perform? Anyone using it?

Never having used M-T couplers, I'm not aware of the shortcomings with the usual M-T magnets that the uncoupler in your video addresses, Inobu. Judging by the reactions here, you've clearly got an improvement, but for those of us who don't know, could you explain what's new?

I actually bought the SE8C and wiring, as well as several TSMK boards back in June.  I'm planning to scratch-build my own signal masts, to be able to use four-light heads, replicating one of the common Japanese designs, and control them using JMRI's software.  However, work on that is on hold, as I've been too busy trying to get the trains running this summer.  I hope to resume work this fall.

I have a page on my plans, although it's still somewhat in a draft state at this point and likely to change as I learn more.

Ken,

You've got to be proud of that page of yours.  There is so much information there.  I've bookmarked the site and plan to sit down with a beer and go through things properly.  At first, I'm interested in how signalling would work in a subway situation in Tokyo.  I haven't lived there for years and didn't pay much attention in those days.  If you can point me in the right direction for that I would be grateful.  Also, I've discovered http://www.cmlelectronics.co.uk/  ... their stuff works with Digitrax and Loconet.  I particularly like their panel controller but they have a signal controller too.

Cheers

The_Ghan

We've veered a bit off topic here, and should probably start another thread on prototype or N-scale signaling, unless a moderator wants to split these posts off.

But to answer your question: I haven't spent much time researching subway practice in Japan (or elsewhere).  I have seen a few comments on wikipedia that they use some slight differences due to the constrained space and visibility, but are otherwise similar to the outdoor signaling system.  Tokyo Metro has a couple of comments about their practice on their safety page.

Since I am thinking about eventually signaling the subway, I really should  think about this, and research it, more.

I'll try to answer the questions real quick.

The prior art or design causes unwanted disconnects or uncoupling, which limits the placement of the uncoupler. Most of the time the last car uncouples itself as it passes over the magnet. As you can see in the video my uncouplers resolves that issue. There were about 100 or so cars in the yard and I could shunt any one of them. The ability to manage the yard brings another level of interaction. I would spend hours building shunts moving them to the adjacent yard.

What was cool about that layout was the main lines met in the center where I had isolators, DMZ and uncouplers. I would pass the shunt from one yard to the other.

I created them so they can be placed anywhere on the track. There are designed specifically for unitrack but can work on other systems.

My testing : Although she (my sweet heart) is not interested in tains I was able to convince her to test the functionality of my design, she did it with no problem and enjoyed it. I was able to explain to her the reason for the long waits at the rail road crossing sometimes. So, if she could do it the anyone could.

The design is based on a magnetic system to allow for mobility.

It is funny how many are skeptical about it until they see it in action.

Here is another video that proves its mobility, you will get a kick out of where the layout was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40PjblpW3qQ?fs=1&hl=en_US

Inobu