Nagoya Municipal Subway - links to JR/Meitetsu?

miyakoji

So I noticed this in my suggestions on youtube:

This is at Kasadera.  There are other vids of these on the Nagoya Minato Line.  Does anyone know if I'm correct in assuming these are taken up to Nagoya, then taken back down the Nagoya Minato Line from where it splits from the Tokaido Main Line just north of Otobashi, and then finally into the subway system at the Meiko Works west of Tsukijiguchi Station?  I can't recall other places where the system links up with others.  I have this impression of some disconnected systems in Nagoya, but it may not be accurate.

Hi Miyakoji. I'm not quite sure what you're asking.

There might be some linkages between the Nagoya subway and JR (where, I couldn't say), but in general, the Nagoya subway is more closely linked with Meitetsu. Some lines operate as both subway and Meitetsu lines, and they tend to share trains on those lines. Prepaid commuter passes are also good for both Nagoya transit (subways and buses) and Meitetsu trains.

The video in your post shows a new 6050-series train being transported by JR. It appears to be getting delivered from the manufacturer, Nihon Sharyo, in Toyokawa. According to Wikipedia, the train was taken to Oeki (a Meitetsu station) for test runs before being put into operation on the Sakuradori subway line (hence the red stripes).

I took another look at the map and I think I see what you're getting at. Nagoya Transit has a railyard and construction facilities on the harbour near Tsukijiguchi station, and I presume there's an underground link there where subway trains can get to the facilities.  

Then from Nagoya Transit's railyard, there's a grade-level line that appears to connect to the JR Chuo line at Sanno Station. I'm not sure where the linkages occur between JR Chuo and Meitetsu or the subway, though. Maybe at Nagoya Station.

Yeah, maybe I was not clear there... I meant, it does not appear that these were transported by truck at any point, so by some route, there must be a physical connection between JR and the Nagoya Subway system, although I suppose a crane could have been used.

Yeah, maybe I was not clear there... I meant, it does not appear that these were transported by truck at any point, so by some route, there must be a physical connection between JR and the Nagoya Subway system, although I suppose a crane could have been used.

So it could be JR Chuo (Sanno Stn) -> Nagoya Transit Railyard -> Meiko Subway Line. I know there's also a short length of shared track between JR and Meitetsu near Toyohashi, but that's a bit farther away, and that stretch might be too busy for use by unscheduled trains during the day.

The rail network is so complex here, I have yet to get a handle on where everything is. Nagoya/Aichi has railways I haven't even ridden on yet, like the Aichi Loop Line.