Old Asahikawa Station

westfalen

Part 6.

In the final shot note the bracing holding up the platform roof, I guess someone decided it wasn't worth making permanent repairs.

post-218-13569925831213_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569925831602_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569925831949_thumb.jpg

post-218-1356992583231_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569925832637_thumb.jpg

post-218-1356992583292_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569925833306_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569925833682_thumb.jpg

Interesting photos.  I hate to say, but it looks like an old warehouse with train platforms.  Not what I think of as JR station architecture but still very interesting.

I see you got all the points covered- notably the elevators which I presume were originally used for moving parcels, as well as the old part of platform 1, where the stopgap scaffolding is in place.  Asahikawa station is arranged in the classic prewar JGR style, the new station will be the standard utilitarian elevated type, albeit with some nods to aesthetics in the interior, which will hopefully make it more pleasant than the dark, dank confines of Sapporo or (even worse) Kanazawa Station.

At first I thought it was Maibara.  Bigger than Maibara, but some of those interior shots seem familiar--although I've never been to Hokkaido.  Does JR Hokkaido really have the money for a new station?  Maybe just some new platform roofs...

Does JR Hokkaido really have the money for a new station?  Maybe just some new platform roofs...

It is a completely new station.  The new station is part of a re-development plan for the area, including the riverfront, so JR Hokkaido is not the only entity footing the bill .

Side view and cross-section of the new station:

http://www.city.asahikawa.hokkaido.jp/files/ekikaihatsu/pubcom/shiryou/danmen.jpg

general overhead map of area:

http://www.city.asahikawa.hokkaido.jp/files/ekikaihatsu/pubcom/shiryou/heimen.jpg