modifying kato overhead station ideas?

nik_n_dad

Hello.

Nik & I are planning on using the Kato overhead transit station (the one with the red roof) on our new layout.  Originally we were going to put the downtown\city on the same level as the station, so the tracks are on the same level as the streets\buildings and the station is elevated.

We've been playing around with having the city\streets\buildings above the mainline tracks and still use the same station, essentially making the station at street\building level, and having the track below.

(we're non-prototypical in any fashion)

Looking for a few ideas of what to "front" the station with as an entry, or other thoughts on modifying\bashing the station to make it work out

thanks

I think that's a really interesting idea! Not sure if you've seen my 'interpretation' of the Kato station, but I'm sure its from the same sort of challenge that you are looking at in that there's no 'front entrance' to the overhead station (although I used the 'green' / older version than you, I think the concepts the same)

kato+%26+vollmer.JPG

hybrid+1.JPG

hyrbrid+2.JPG

More here: http://quinntopia.blogspot.com/2010/03/new-station-combining-kato-with-vollmer.html

With the elevated station providing the concourse, all you really need is a tunnel/corridor to one side with something small at the end.  You could use the horizontal corridor that comes with the expansion set or scratchbuild something of styrene.  And what goes on the end can be literally anything with a couple of signs, as in the real world there doesn't seem to be any attempt to make them match each other or the rest of the station.  Some examples:

Photo 1: Harajuku Station on the Yamanote line.

Photo 2: One entrance of Ochanomizu Station on the Chuo line, which has platforms below street level.

Photo 3: Another entrance to Ochanomizu Station.

Kato's Community Center might make a good entrance, although the Suburban Station entrance might work with a bit or surgery to remove the stairs at the back.

post-264-13569925516361_thumb.jpg

post-264-13569925516792_thumb.jpg

post-264-13569925516967_thumb.jpg

Quinn - Great kitbashing! I read your blog because I couldn't figure out what the second structure you used. I was surprised to find out it was a Vollmer kit.

Quinn- somehow I missed this on your blog.  Thanks!  Now all I have to do is figure out how to bid in the vollmer building on "the hood" and I can plagiarize your idea!  :grin

Ken- thanks for the ideas and pix.  It helps a lot.

Thanks Gentlemen!

Nik: To be honest, I think your idea of having the entrance and 'overhead' section on one level will look a LOT better than my version, where-in theory-there are elevators/escalators inside the main station building that take the passengers to the 'over-the-track' waiting rooms.    :cheesy

Bernard, this station fell to me in a lot of buildings...I really had no plans for it until I noticed there was some similar (or maybe 'compatible) archetectural aspects in the Vollmer building and the Kato station....the roofs are 'metal' on both, the 'glass' on both is also in a similar color.  By painting both structures in the same scheme, it sort of worked out!

I'll post back here if I see any of these Vollmer kits on the 'bay.  They don't come up too often, but they're not all that rare either.  Its a lot easier (of course) if you can find an un-built, 'new in box' version.  Unfortunately, I didn't have one of those so had to do the painstaking disassembly with a blade!