Suggestions for branchline diesels ca. late 70's/early 80's?

DanMacK

Hello all,

I'm looking at possibly running freight on my in-progress Shintahara layout, and I'm looking for suitable diesel locomotives for branchline freight.  The main plan is for coal trains, and possible local freight as well.

Bearing in mind this is 'T' Gauge, I'm looking for suitable prototypes.  I'm certain I'll be doing some scratchbuilding, but the question is how much. 

I'm looking at DE10's and possibly DF50's as potential candidates.

Any suggestions?

Regards,

Dan MacKellar

Claude_Dreyfus

For the heavier trains, would a DD51 not be suitable? Granted, it would be a little tricky with the extra bogie, but not necessarily insurmountable.

Also, if you wanted to retain the Bo-Bo chassis, try soemthing like a DD16...

Thought about the DD51 - And I could theoretically do it without any chassis modifications to a Hankyu 9000 chassis (the 1m length difference is negligable) 

Hardest part would be doing the hood and keeping it to a scale width

Loaded trains would be running downhill, so power isn't a huge issue.

bikkuri bahn

I understand that you are operating under the dimensional constraints of the scale, so that is your primary consideration, but from the purely prototypical standpoint, all of the types mentioned are possible, with the DE10 being the most plausible.  I fact, DE10s were the main motive power on the Horonai Line here in Hokkaido, serving the coal mines located nearby.  Also, DD51 are quite appropriate, their bogie design allowed for operation on lighter track found on branch lines.  The DF50 was more of a mainline locomotive, but it did haul coal trains, notably in Shikoku.

Thanks for the input! :D

Ideally, I'd love to use DE10's, but that may not be possible with the current mechanisms.  The gearbox is currently 5mm wide roughly, and the trucks are held in place with tension springs.  The width here is still approx 5mm, and when the loco is only 7mm wide, that can cause an issue... lol.  I may tow around with it a bit and see if I can design a narrower chassis/gearbox combo, but in the meantime, I'll plan for DE50's if I opt for coal service.  Biggest problem with coal trains...  I can't hide motors in the cars...

I can probably build and power a couple of Waki10000's for general freight however.   These would enable me to push an unpowered DE10.