JR Tohoku train departs without passengers, conductor

Guest ___

JR Tohoku train departs without passengers, conductor

Wednesday 18th August, 09:00 AM JST

TOCHIGI —A Tohoku line (Utsunomiya section) local train bound for Ueno from Koganei Station in Shimotsuke, Tochigi Prefecture departed empty, leaving behind 16 passengers waiting on the platform and the conductor at around 4:25 p.m. on Tuesday.The problem is thought to have been caused by a misunderstanding between the train driver, 29, and the conductor, 32, who was responsible for opening the doors and boarding passengers on the uncrowded train.According to the JR East branch office in Omiya, the conductor was in the staff room because he “mistook the train’s departure time.” The train was forced to continue to Koyama Station.A JR East Omiya spokesperson said: “The parties responsible have been disciplined and retrained in the importance of careful time management.”

http://www.japantoday.com/category/national/view/jr-tohoku-train-departs-without-passengers-conductor

I hate to point the finger at a fellow train driver but it would seem he is the one at fault here for taking off without getting right away if the conductor/guard was still in the staff room. Procedures differ from railway to railway but I would think the driver would have to wait for some signal from the guard that it was ok to depart.

Densha-De-Go penalises you for trying to leave before the Guard Light is out... or is that lit? I can't remember, but you also get a bell/buzzer when time to go.

Driver fail.

Oops!  :grin

Obviously the train didn't have traction interlocking...

Cheers,

Mark.

For the uninitiated: If the doors are open you don't get power to the traction motors to move the train.

If the passengers were left on the platform I'd assume the doors were never opened, looks like the driver just hopped in and took off without thinking.

bikkuri bahn

Westfalen you're correct, the doors were not opened which prevented passengers from boarding.  This was the originating station for the train, I assume a turnback service, the doors were likely closed during layover as Japan is experiencing a particularly sweltering summer.  Must have been an especially sleepy station, only 16 passengers for a 15 car train, apparently no station platform staff to check the departure either.  Another article I read stated the driver didn't know he was without a conductor until he got a radio message from staff HQ, which in turn had been notified by a green car attendant who was supposed to have been on the train, but of course couldn't board either.

車掌休憩中、ドア開かず発車 JR小金井駅、16人置き去り

(8月18日 05:00)

17日午後4時25分ごろ、JR宇都宮線小金井駅構内で、小金井発上野行きの上り普通電車(15両編成)が、発車時刻を間違えた男性車掌(32)を乗せずに発車。発車前にドアが開閉せず、乗客16人が乗れなかった。

JR東日本大宮支社によると、男性車掌は発車時、「発車時刻を勘違い」したまま休憩所で休憩中。運転席にいた男性運転士(29)は、ドアが閉まっていることを示すランプが点灯していることを確認、定刻になったため乗客を乗せずに発車した。

男性車掌がホームに着いた時、電車の姿はなかったという。乗り遅れた乗客らは、7分後に到着した後続の普通電車に乗車した。

同支社広報室は「こうした事態が二度と起こらないよう、再発防止と安全輸送に努めたい」としている。

It says the driver thought the train was ready for departure, because the light for the doors indicate closed. It still doesn't make sense though, when the light probably never indicated the doors open. Anyway, maybe the driver was late getting on the train, and thought he was the last one on.

It says the driver thought the train was ready for departure, because the light for the doors indicate closed. It still doesn't make sense though, when the light probably never indicated the doors open. Anyway, maybe the driver was late getting on the train, and thought he was the last one on.

This is where things are a little different here in Brisbane, here the driver operates the doors so the scenario would be less likely as he would probably realise the doors hadn't been opened when he went to close them. I had a JR guard from Tachikawa ride with me one day a few years ago when I was a guard and he expressed surprise that the driver was operating the doors, in this case though it might have been an advantage. In any event, here at least, you don't move a train away from a station until you get the right away signal from the guard to signal that passengers are clear of the train, our rules even require it when an empty train not carrying passengers stops at a platform without opening the doors, maybe on JR the fact that the doors are closed is enough authority to move. I'll have to make a few observations during my coming Japanese trip to see if I can see what their procedures are.

If he was running late you would think he would have noticed the passengers waiting at the closed doors to get on board

Whatever he was thinking I bet he never lives it down.

bikkuri bahn

There is one man operation of trains here in Japan also, frequently on less trafficked lines (to lower labor costs) as well as lines with automatic platform gate doors (as on the Tsukuba Express and Sapporo Subway Tozai Line, which btw also use ATO operation).

I am sure someone will know more than me on this but ...

In the UK there have been ding ding and away rail crashes where the guard presses the buzzer indicating it is ok for the train to go. However the train has not got a green light and been given a clear right to go. The train then drives straight into the path of another.

So on some stations you will see a sign that says 'OFF' which indicates to the guard it is OK (signal off) and then he presses buzzer. In Birmingham New Street there are other means of giving the driver the ok-I think from platform staff turning a key.

Graham

I am sure someone will know more than me on this but ...

In the UK there have been ding ding and away rail crashes where the guard presses the buzzer indicating it is ok for the train to go. However the train has not got a green light and been given a clear right to go. The train then drives straight into the path of another.

On Queensland Rail our safe driving rules whenever you are stopped at a red signal are to put the train in neutral, brake in full service position, parking brake on, take your foot off the dead man's pedal and lastly switch off the headlight, if you do all this and then the guard gives right away on a red signal (he's only human, I did it myself a couple of times) you are reminded you don't have the road. Of course there are always drivers who think they are good enough not to need any driving aids or safe driving procedure and who eventually come to grief but by putting it officially in the rulebook they've got you if the black box shows you didn't do any of it.

If he was running late you would think he would have noticed the passengers waiting at the closed doors to get on board. Whatever he was thinking I bet he never lives it down.

LOL! You're not wrong!

Cheers,

Mark.

CaptOblivious

Side note: The trains in Brisbane confused me mightily the entire time I was there last year, because although the driver may unlock the doors…the passengers have to open them! I missed more than one stop thinking what a rude driver not to open all the doors at my station stop… ;D