Tomix J.N.R. C57 - How to get a replacement for my lost 'Combination Lever'?

nicholaslimck

nicholaslimck

I recently bought a Tomix J.N.R. Steam Locomotive Type C57 (C57 135), and lost part of it. The lost part is called the 'Combination Lever' in the instruction manuals. I have searched around the web but have not been able to find a way to obtain a replacement for it. Does anyone here know any way I might be able to get one? (without having to buy a completely new train)

Thanks in advance.

(Attached image is the side with the remaining combination lever and the side without)

Combination_lever.bmp

Martijn Meerts

I'm pretty sure those can be ordered at a Tomix dealer. If I remember right, they have a bit about how to install the things in the manual that comes with the loco, which should mean they're aware that they can get lost ;)

nicholaslimck

I'm pretty sure those can be ordered at a Tomix dealer. If I remember right, they have a bit about how to install the things in the manual that comes with the loco, which should mean they're aware that they can get lost ;)

Thanks for answering!

I did notice that they had a bit on the manual about the 'combination lever', but there wasn't anything about how they could be purchased. I looked around using Google, but wasn't able to find a online e-tailer that could provide me with the part. Since I'm kinda new to these trains (and actually just bought my C57 around 2 weeks ago), it would be great if you could tell me if there are any online Tomix dealer sites and what they are, as I'm living in China and don't really think there are any Tomix dealers here.

Martijn Meerts

You could just try asking at Hobby Search in Japan. According to other posts on the forum, it seems they're able to get most spare parts, even if they're not listed in their webshop.

nicholaslimck

You could just try asking at Hobby Search in Japan. According to other posts on the forum, it seems they're able to get most spare parts, even if they're not listed in their webshop.

Thanks! I'll try there ASAP.

Nick,

I changed the way I viewed things and it has helped me out in similar situations. Sometimes it easier to find the part than to re-order it. Depending on the environment, the proverbial needle in the haystack can be found based on the circumstances in which it was lost. If you know it was in hand at one time then it has to be in the area that you last saw in it. It cannot disappear. It can only be in a location that you cannot see.

You often find the part in the most obscured locations. As funny as it sounds the reality is, these parts that we lose track of actually hides from us. I often play hide and seek and find them. Sounds crazy but that is the essence of losing and finding something. The only difference is the parts don't giggle when you are close to them.

I refuse to give up and have found most of the part that I lost/dropped. I use either magnets to scan the carpet, magnifying glasses and scouring the area inch by inch. I once lost a tiny screw on my caliper and placed a new bag in the vacuum, ran it in the general ares I used the caliper in. I cut the vacuum bag open and found it.

Re trace the area in which you had it and you should find it. Its only lost if you never had possession of it or the area that it is lost in is outside of your home.

Good luck

Inobu

nicholaslimck

@Inobu

I read through your post but have tried desperately to search for my missing part (magnets can't be used as it is plastic). The part would actually stand out on the floor (grey on wood), but I haven't been able to find it at all, and I actually lost it around 5 days ago and only realized the morning after. I lost it in my room, but my floor was cleaned on the day I probably lost it. The most probable place it could be in now is where all the trash goes to in China... Thanks for trying to help, though.

nicholaslimck

Sent an e-mail to Hobby Search and just got their reply. Apparently, they can't find the part even at their wholesalers... Oh well. Maybe I could try making a replacement myself... :p