Lowest Prices for Unitram in N. America

With all the talk about MB Klein, I would like to let you know there is a reputable online store that has traditionally sell Kato Unitrack products that is very competitive or lower than Wig Wag or MB Klein.

That store is Toy Train Heaven

http://www.toytrainheaven.com/

How would you like a Kato Portram for less than US$90?

http://www.toytrainheaven.com/.sc/ms/cat/N%20Locomotives%20Kato--Portram%20Light%20Rail

Or how about the Unitram V50 set for less than US$140?

http://www.toytrainheaven.com/.sc/ms/dd/ee/78445153/Kato%20N%20V50%20Unitram%20Basic%20Track%20%26%20Road%20Plate%20Set,%20LIST%20PRICE%20$190

If you can find a lower price, please feel free to let me know, I am currently planning to add another level to my layout!

I never really looked at them before, could have been the words 'toy train' in their name being a bit of a put off.

You can never have too many hobby shops to take you money. :grin

Toy train heaven has been one of the best prices around for unitrak in the past. i did two large orders with them like 5 years back when we were doing the jrm layout and at that time it was the best prices around.

HS/HW 20% off list is $87.60 so that is a good price at 89.38! their shipping is now a flat rate $9.50/9.95 at tth.

cheers

jeff

Hobby Dreamer

Thanks to2leo!

For Japanese N, the stores you mention are great. There are some stores with great prices for other items that one comes across; for example foliage, sales etc.

Maybe we can just continue a thread on good hobby stores.

Thanks again!

Their prices for a lot of Unitrack actually seem higher then MB Klein (based on a few items, like switches and V3 sets I've had reason to review recently). However they are at least advertising some old stock - plate track and K3 sets. The plate track is discontinued and straight plate track pieces are impossible to find - I'll give them a try to see if they really have stock.

Thanks to2leo!

For Japanese N, the stores you mention are great. There are some stores with great prices for other items that one comes across; for example foliage, sales etc.

Maybe we can just continue a thread on good hobby stores.

Thanks again!

yeah i try to buy most of the general train stuff at the shows from the dealers that have been coming for a long time to them and give a decent discount, but i realize they cant cut it to the bone with coming to shows. you make it up on the shipping, especially on stuff like ballast! leestrains.com is a good old stalwart. decent prices and hes known mokei for ages so trys to keep greenmax and tomix buildings in stock. he will special order kato and tomix catalogs for us in batches for the club thru mokei as well. he can get mokeis stock japanese train list as well, but the prices on these are usually a little above list and just an odd assortment of one or two units as he has to get his stock from his distributor in japan.

unfortunately we really dont have much of a LHS for trains around here locally. the chain hobby shop has the token smattering of trains, but nothing that i can use. bit of woodland scenics at full price which i ill buy a little of if i need it now and then to keep that stock moving. lots of styrene sales from me so i keep them reordering evergreen stuff!

on toy train heaven i have not really looked much at their prices in the last couple of years. i do remember comparing them to some other cheap source someone was touting on the unitrak list earlier this year and the deal did not seem quite as good as it did when i ordered 3 or 4 years back. im pretty sure unitrak took a good jump in price pretty much across the board late last year or earlier this year and not sure how all the dealers have synched up on that and their individual channels may effect how it effects their final retail price.

cheers

jeff

FYI, for those who are interested in getting the modern paint scheme of Amtrak Superliner, they are having them as Cloud 9 sale for $65/set!

http://www.toytrainheaven.com/.sc/ms/cat/Cloud%209%20Sale/11

The P42 engine price is not bad either!

http://www.toytrainheaven.com/.sc/ms/cat/N%20Locomotives%20Kato--P42

I too did bought tons of Unitrack before the prices went up and become more expensive than Wig wag.

To be honest, I never heard of them either. Now, my local shop in Blue Ridge Summit, Mainline Hobbies has told me he can get anything out of the KATO, Jp catalog, but have yet to try that out, and I'm not sure what his markup would be, but even though I have known the Wolf's for years, I wouldn't expect many favors in the price, and suspect it would be closer to MB Klein's, hence I just order from HS.

To be honest, I never heard of them either. Now, my local shop in Blue Ridge Summit, Mainline Hobbies has told me he can get anything out of the KATO, Jp catalog, but have yet to try that out, and I'm not sure what his markup would be, but even though I have known the Wolf's for years, I wouldn't expect many favors in the price, and suspect it would be closer to MB Klein's, hence I just order from HS.

Interesting news, i wonder if Kato Japan is on one of the swings to open up to Kato USA. this seesaw has happened in the past, will be interesting to see how it goes! the relationship between Kato japan and kato usa is really an odd one. kato usa is pretty much controlled by kato japan in japanese business style. kato usa is definitely not free to behave like a us company at all. this has caused problems internally with them in the past and with former employees. i think its one of those situations where business styles and markets collide. with the trains they are pretty different markets and even the hobbyists styles are different. on the other hand the long quality history kato japan has created with the japanese market definitely made kato usa great when they went really pushed into the us market. hard to have your cake and eat it too sometimes (well most all times!)

in the past when kato japan has made japanese stuff open to katousa to sell to the us market the prices have been around list maybe a tad higher at the LHS end here.

cheers

jeff