Installing *that* tiny Kato antenna detail part

David

I've constantly had trouble installing this part on every set I buy. For a while I had one missing until I could get a spare replacement from another set. Either way I'm going to need to install 12 of them, so it would really help if there was some trick to getting this little antenna.

It seems to require force to install (friction fit) but it's so tiny that it's almost impossible to push it perfectly straight in without it flying off.

post-219-13569925151848_thumb.jpg

post-219-13569925152203_thumb.jpg

Get a miniature drill, some glue and presto! Maybe some forced drilling with a mini-awl will do the job as well. That's how I get things done in general...

CaptOblivious

I hate those too! The KIHA110 doesn't come with one, but most models come with a little tool for installing them. It looks just like a part of the sprue (because it is part of the sprue). You might rummage around for one in your bits box?

Otherwise, I actually drill out the whole to be just a little larger, and then use PVA (white) glue to secure the part.

I hate those too! The KIHA110 doesn't come with one, but most models come with a little tool for installing them. It looks just like a part of the sprue (because it is part of the sprue). You might rummage around for one in your bits box?

Otherwise, I actually drill out the whole to be just a little larger, and then use PVA (white) glue to secure the part.

My EF210 had such a piece, I'll check the box.

I lost another one (Kiha 110 only needs 2, but comes with 6. Now I've got lots of spares!) using the plastic tool before I figure out a really easy way to do it. This is the trick:

• First attach the tool to the top of the antenna (above the bulge, so that in theory you could use the tool to push the antenna down).

• Next, lay the car on its side, with the top facing away from you. I'm right handed so I placed the car so that the cab I wanted to add the antenna to was facing to the right as well.

• Now pick up the tool in your right hand (I can't really take a photo of this, but in the second photo take note of the orientation of the tool, that's how you'll be holding it).

• Carefully place the antenna over the hole - bend over so you are looking at what you are doing from above. With the car on its side you can line them up pretty easy.

• Now use your left index finger to gently but firmly press down while your left thumb holds the bottom on the car (a pinching grip). Use the tool in your right hand to adjust the angle of entry until the antenna is pointing straight down into the hole, at which point it will just pop right in. You may need to apply a little more press to make sure it is in all the way.

You are done! After I got the first one in using this technique the other 3 I had to do installed in seconds (not including time to cut from the sprue, get the tool attached, and in one case take photos). Now I just need to see what parts need to be installed on the 111/112 series (more antennas for sure).

post-219-13569925152726_thumb.jpg

post-219-13569925153226_thumb.jpg

post-219-13569925153738_thumb.jpg

post-219-13569925154229_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

You get one of those tools with the DE10 to install the whistles on the cab roof. After I lost the first one I decided to try the tool, the next two went on first time. Lucky Kato provided four whistles for guys who think there's a better way than what the instruction sheet says.

CaptOblivious

Awesome. Even with the tool, these fiddly bits give me fits. I'll be trying your technique next time!

All this time I thought I was the only one who was having this problem. It takes me longer to put in the antenna than to put in a decider. Great topic.

CaptOblivious

I've used tweezers, but the damned bits just go flying out...its hard to tell when you have too little grip on the part.

Sorry Don, I was being a bit cheeky!  :grin

I've had the same problem with tweezers, one thing I did was to roughen the tips by rubbing them with wet&dry to remove the shiny plating. This improves the grip. A mate of mine actually glued tiny strips of wet&dry to a pair of tweezers to achieve the same result.

Cheers,

Mark.

I just did my first Kato E231 antennas tonight, and mine didn't come with the tool.  What I did was take the upper part of the car off the floor assembly and place it upright on the workbench so it couldn't move, and then used tweezers to position the part.  A few dropped antennas later I got the hang of it, and was able to press them in easily (I didn't need to enlarge the mounting holes at all, and not much force was required).

I use more a "barbarian" way...

I just put the antena in the top of the hole then I tit it gently with a wooden stick.

Each time I hit, it goes inside a little bit, it takes some time but it's the best way imho to do it without having to drill or push hard.

Now! I wonder... Is that why I never buy any Kato or Tomix anymore? It's so much practical not to have to install such pieces. Microace is so praaactical (exept for the fact they don't have spare parts available).

The newest Kato toolings (E127) have had all the detail parts installed. Going further, they seem to be installed better then the Microace parts on the models I have (there are a few places where you can see evidence where they where cut from the sprue, much like a "home" installation, where as both E127 models seem to have a factory finish to the detail parts).