tomix -vs- kato??

bigford

Is there a diffrence between the the kato eh500 and the tomix??

i'm really loving the loco but i'm not sure witch one is better

I think the main deciding factor would be the Kato version being more DCC friendly if that is what you want.

CaptOblivious

Tomix does have a wider range of liveries available than does Kato: Both produce the "production type" livery seen on serial nos. 3 and up; Tomix also makes models of the prototype liveries on serial nos. 1, and 2 (both different).

I have the Tomix one. I know for sure it doesn't use a flywheel. At least my version doesn't. I am fairly certain, if Kato's is anything like their other locos, it will use a flywheel and will probably crawl better than the Tomix. Having said that, my Tomix one runs great!

Another consideration: the Tomix one comes in their usual cheapie cardboard box instead of a plastic case like the Kato one. Personally I think the Tomix box sucks. And... The Tomix one will accept microtrains coupler without mods, while the Kato one will probably require a slight widening of the couple pocket mouth on the pilot.

hey guys

i just got my tomix eh500 for $66. shipped

it came in a plastic case and is listed a ver one with gps

any idea what microtrain coupler to use???

CaptOblivious

hey guys

i just got my tomix eh500 for $66. shipped

it came in a plastic case and is listed a ver one with gps

any idea what microtrain coupler to use???

The fitting of M-T couplers to Japanese rolling stock is a subject we've only just begun to explore here…I think in general, you're going to be on your own to explore, and hopefully report back here, the options available.

That said, have a look at this thread, and the links contained therein for some guidance:

http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php/topic,3713.0.html

Hey Bigford,

Which version did you get?  If it is the Kato 3037-1 EH500 3rd Version then you've got a great model with flywheel motor.  The older Kato model, 2157 is still available from a number of vendors at a lower price, but does not have a flywheel.

Hope you have a lot of fun with your new model.

Cheers

The_Ghan