This is My Way (Kore Ga Watashi Ryu)

gmat

I happened to catch this on Terebi Tokyo, Channel 12 in Tokyo. It is a weekly hour long program from 8:00 to 8:55 on Saturday nights. It has pairs of TV personalities traveling to some location in Japan sampling the local sights, attractions and cuisine, especially eating the local fare. It's kind of a thinly disguised infomercial, but nicely put together. The first 15 minutes had two men riding to the end of a train line. Sorry, but I didn't catch what line it was, but it ended on an orange colored single car diesel. The TV guide said that they went to Hokkaido and went by sleeper train. They showed them riding the trains, looking around some of the stations and trying to take a photo of trains. One of the travelers is a neophyte at photography, which lends to its attraction. I think that he has a Nikon D3000. I recorded the last minute of that portion and will try to see if the two train guys are on every week. My wife who didn't watch it said that one of the men (Yoshizumi) was related to Tokyo Governor Ishihara and had a license to to be a TV weatherman. I think that the other might be a former Olympic gymnast.(Morise?) She also said that she doesn't know if it is on every week.

Best wishes,

Grant

bikkuri bahn

I think the title of the program is "zuuto ikitakkata! nihon no zekkei wo toru tabi" (ずっと行きたかった!ニッポンの絶景を撮る旅) or "I always wanted to go!, a journey to take the best shots of Japan".  The format is three pairs of celebrities go to various regions in Japan, cameras in hand, and take snapshots of their travels.  This evening the second group is the pair you mention, this time they take the blue train "Akebono" to Tohoku, and ride the trains in that area, among other activities.

bikkuri bahn
Sorry, but I didn't catch what line it was, but it ended on an orange colored single car diesel.

That would be the Kushiro based kiha 40's repainted in JNR orange colors, and used on the Nemuro Main Line.  Here is a schedule of trains that will utilize this color rolling stock:

http://www.jrkushiro.jp/kiha40unyou.html

Thanks, bikkuri bahn,

I got the title from the newspaper TV schedule. Is there a train segment every week? The following program had the best 30 things in Tochigi Prefecture and started out with a one or two minute locomotive segment.

On Thursdays on Channel 10, at about 7:00, there is another program that follows a train route. It uses an aerial view to follow the train line and has a grandfather voice along with a childish voice guide the viewers. The focus on interesting and unusual buildings, objects and locations near the line. I saw one that followed the Enoshima line and this week glimpsed another episode on another line.

Best wishes,

Grant

bikkuri bahn

I'm not sure if the train theme will continue, apparently those two celebrities like trains, so that's why the theme is taking pictures of them- I suppose as long as they travel together, it will continue.

The other program is "Sora kara nihon wo mite miyo" or "Lets see Japan from the air".  This is one of my favorite TV programs, as the route always follows a rail line (A similar US program, if it existed, would probably follow a freeway :sad1:)

Here is the website for this excellent program:

http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/sorakara/

bikkuri bahn
I got the title from the newspaper TV schedule

Ah I see.  If it's from one of the English language newspapers, the titles given are sometimes amusing, or bear no relation to the actual content of the program.  Sometimes the translators are too lazy and just write "variety" or "travel", and clock out at 5pm for an early beer, I suppose.

Thank you for answering,

I actually got it from my wife's Japanese Asahi News, but I could have asked her to read the wrong part of the listing for me.

If I actually do manage to record one of these programs, would it be OK to post it on Youtube for everyone?

Best wishes,

Grant

bikkuri bahn

It's probably copyrighted material, but of course that hasn't kept people from posting news reports of train services, travelogues, etc. before...

Can I ask, does watashi ryu mean my way then?  If so it seems like a good name for a layout, could anyone provide the Japanese text for this pleas, just in case  :cheesy

Can I ask, does watashi ryu mean my way then?  If so it seems like a good name for a layout, could anyone provide the Japanese text for this pleas, just in case  :cheesy

私流