Tomix 92332 Asakaze

Welshbloke

I've had this set for a few days now, in a word superb. The EF66 is pretty much silent, one of the two coaches has working tail lights:

DSCN2246.jpg

The other end of the loco has an "Asakaze" headboard,

DSCN2247.jpg

The fun part now - trying to find the matching coaches to extend it! I've managed to find the Kani 24-100 (8512) at HobbySearch but there's no stock of the 8509 and 8510. I did find an 8517 though which while not technically the right type is close enough in appearance to blend in.

Darren Jeffries

Very nice. How is the running? is it pretty smooth?

I have to say i like the color scheme, very satin looking blue.

Martijn Meerts

They have a certain something. I really like the one in the more modern JR-Freight colours, EF66-100 (Tomix 2124)

It's an incredible runner - silky smooth and with only a slight whirr at speed. It's better than Fleischmann locos costing twice as much. I can nose up to the coaches and couple without them moving at all, using the Kato controller.

I've since found that the 8517 coach has white rather than silver striping, but it should look ok. Better than a three coach train where one coach is a luggage van anyway! HobbySearch said they'd shipped it all yesterday so should be here sometime next week.

I've always liked the EF-66. I chose the Kato over the Tomix when I was in Japan, but I don't think I ever compared them side by side.

In all honesty I doubt Kato could better it for running. Not only is it incredibly smooth and quiet, it also managed to drag a dead Fleischmann loco that stalled in an inaccessible part of the test track without apparent effort. Add in the fact that the train pack delivered from Japan was about £53, which is about what I'd pay for a Kato loco alone here.

The 8512 and 8517 are here, turns out that 8517 has silver lining after all so I shall probably order another to bulk the train out a bit. Photo:

IMG_0164.jpg

Martijn Meerts

Kato and Tomix (and MicroAce, Modemo etc. for that matter) generally use the same motor type, so pulling power and noise should be fairly similar between engines with the same motor.

That said, some Japanese loco's are extremely powerful. Tomix's DD51 for example can push a 16-part Kato M250 super rail cargo (including the motorized car, which was temporarily out of order at the time) up a hill without too much problems ;)

Wow i was looking at that same set.  I was also on hobbysearch looking for matching cars, but it seems alot are sold out.

can you post more pics of each of the sleeper cars?

The set is around $70 and comes with the EF66 and two sleepers am i correct?  i was really close to buying this last night.

do you have any video?

Yes - the basic set has the loco, one Ohanefu sleeping car with tail lights and illuminated nameboard and one Ohane sleeping car. There's an excellent photo on the Hobbysearch site here (click the photos to see a larger one):

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10059227

The only "proper" additional coach I could get was the Kani 24-100 baggage/generator van, 8512:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10047585

I bulked the train up with a couple of 8517 Suhanefu sleepers:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10067434

I think these coaches are models of an earlier type, but they match the rest of the train and the only visible differences are a small vent on the roof and the slightly different underframe detailing.

wow i might have to copy what you bought LOL.  the sleeper blue train used to be my most favorite in japan.  i loved all the different logos that they used for each line.  post up some of the luminated signs!

my grandparents took me on this line once, i sleep the whole ride.  barely remembered a thing, doh!  i think theres pictures somewhere that i need to dig up.

The illuminated destination boards really don't photograph well, because they're absolutely tiny! It took me some time to find the matching transfer on the sheet supplied with the 8512 so that it would match the other end of the train.

One trick I found - when you come to fit them, it makes life a lot simpler if you unclip the glazing from the coach rather than trying to position the transfer inside the coach body. The glazing will then clip back in and so long as you aligned the transfer correctly it will work.

I think the two extra sleepers may end up with destination boards for a different train, as my plan (if Tomix re-release the correct extra coaches) would be for those two to start a second sleeper train sandwiching a handful of 8518 sleepers.

Wow i was looking at that same set.  I was also on hobbysearch looking for matching cars, but it seems alot are sold out.

The set is around $70 and comes with the EF66 and two sleepers am i correct?  i was really close to buying this last night.

The 92332 has been available again for some time.  A great train for anyone seeking a small Blue train for their layout or a first train.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10059227