Tomix vs. Tomytec

Guest ___

Killing time on Hobbysearch today and ran across the Tomytec stuff they carried. While I had looked at the Tomytec online it looked like most of the Tomytec stuff was collections. However while on Hobbysearch I did find figures to the 1:150 scale under Tomytec. So, I guess I am missing something, but what exactly is the TomyTec line of trains then?

Martijn Meerts

Tomytec (Like Tomix) is another subdivision of Tomy. While Tomytec doesn't make trains, a lot of their stuff is N-scale. Tomytec are collectables though. For example, the Tomytec bus collection is a series of 12 busses, but you don't know which bus you get until you open the little box. The idea is to trade with others and try to get the full set. Of course, if you buy a whole box of busses, you'll get 1 of each ;)

The details of the stuff Tomytec makes is real good. The busses and trucks look much better than anything the European and American brands come up with. Their houses as well are very nice, come pre-painted and pre-weathered. They're the type of kits where you don't need glue, but if you use them on a layout you're better off glueing them because they don't always fit too well =)

I actually bought a Tomytec bus while in Akiba. The store that was selling them was selling them in clear plastic bags. I assumed they were opened from the box, and then individually packed for resale.  I was really impressed by the detail.

Anycase I saw some neat N-scale figures based on an anime I watched while in Japan that I really iked on Hobbysearch and was thinking of ordering them for a future n-scale project but I was not sure as to exactly how close to scale they were.

I did see also they have a AA N-scale train throttle to power some sort of set. From what I saw it looked like there were N-scale Tomytec trains that are unpowered that sell for about ¥1700 then there were powered chassis that were ¥2300. I assumed they were designed to work together, but clearly;y not on a standard N-scale layout.

As you can tell, I'm still getting a feel for modeling the Japanese stuff. It's been a slow migration over the past 5 years from American HO to Japanese-smaller scales. (N, Z, and T)

Martijn Meerts

Tomytec is pretty much all 1:150, but they do have some figures that are much bigger. They're called Tetsudo Musume and are about 10cm tall.

The trains mentioned is the Tetsudo collection. It's like the cars, trucks, busses and houses in that they're collectables (well, unless stores sell them in clear plastic bags of course ;)), for which Tomix manufactures powered chassis.

It's a bit confusing really, since Tomix and Tomytec are different companies, but they have the same parent company ;)

CaptOblivious

Not all Tomytec stuff comes in blind boxes, or is really even collectable. The Human Series (example) is one such. Too, the detail on the human figures is disappointing—but it's the only way to get a wide variety of actual Japanese figures (Kato uses re-painted Preiser figures, which while spectular quality, doesn't offer the wide range that Tomytec does).

Tomytec is pretty much all 1:150, but they do have some figures that are much bigger. They're called Tetsudo Musume and are about 10cm tall.

The trains mentioned is the Tetsudo collection. It's like the cars, trucks, busses and houses in that they're collectables (well, unless stores sell them in clear plastic bags of course ;)), for which Tomix manufactures powered chassis.

It's a bit confusing really, since Tomix and Tomytec are different companies, but they have the same parent company ;)

I did see the Tetsudo Musume in Japan and almsot bought a few, but the figures I was referring to were N-scale based on a Japanese anime/manga. I thoguht when I built my N-scale layout, that they would make for an interesting obscure sight gag.

I did see the Tetsudo Musume in Japan and almsot bought a few, but the figures I was referring to were N-scale based on a Japanese anime/manga. I thoguht when I built my N-scale layout, that they would make for an interesting obscure sight gag.

I can see the appeal - I am vaguely hunting for a Toyota AE86 in two-tone black and white with "Fujiwara Tofu" on the doors. A yellow Mazda FD and white FC wouldn't go amiss either...

Tomytec originally was mainly collections only, but now is a lot more than just collections.  

http://www.tomytec.co.jp/diocolle/

They seem to have moved away from the exclusively collection based marketing strategy with mystery items inside some packages to a mix of individual items and collections.

The N gauge figures compliment the various scenes and building collections that Tomytec has issued. I believe the first figures were for the entertainment structures in Town Collection #7. These items are also used in subscription micro layouts and micro layout packages by Tomytec and others like Kodansha.

Watching the items being released this spring (curving platforms, arcades) suggests the new subscription layout may be an urban layout.

There are other figures and vehicles offered in different scales by Tomy, like Tomica vehicles in 1/80 and diecast 1/195 Shinkansen (lead car only), cars, trucks, buses.

I for one am glad they are going away from the special mystery items inside the collection. Then again, I am glad they are moving away from collections an moving towards a'la carte. Part of my issue with the town collections was that I had no need for twelve buildings, six of which were always the same in duplicate minus being molded in different colors. Personally, my entire layout consists of the TT buildings, and wish it would just replace the TOMIX stuff outright, which looks cheapo and plastic. (Buildings) Now that I think about it, all my cars, trees and people too are TT.

I for one am glad they are going away from the special mystery items inside the collection. Then again, I am glad they are moving away from collections an moving towards a'la carte. Part of my issue with the town collections was that I had no need for twelve buildings, six of which were always the same in duplicate minus being molded in different colors. Personally, my entire layout consists of the TT buildings, and wish it would just replace the TOMIX stuff outright, which looks cheapo and plastic. (Buildings) Now that I think about it, all my cars, trees and people too are TT.

I think the mystery item strategy is based on the idea that modelers will rush out and buy several packages in search of a "prize."  Remember how the Lawson Showa Streetcar collection was released as a product premium and within 24 hours several collectors had rushed out bought over 2 dozen bottles of green tea and collected the whole set of 9?

I've heard the collection strategy works because of the group nature of Japanese society.  A Tokyo Toei bus collector will trade with other bus fans in the group and bus collecting is a much bigger hobby in Asia than in North America. Layout photos sometimes show bus garages with a large fleet of buses all in the same paint scheme and they are not generally issued as singles so they have either to trade or buy on eBay or another auction site.  As usual Asian markets are more rigged against the consumer, well actually place the good of the nation ahead of the individual consumer.

Actually the first tomytec figures were farmers to go with the farm house series, the first buildings they put out individually followed by the small industrial buildings and workers. most times they are to match up with other buildings being produced and as bill mentioned they definitely have a larger theme in mind for the big subscription series that they also sell as whole diorama kits now as well.

great figures, best bang for the buck out there in figures. usually have 2-3 sets of the same 12 figures just painted differently.

Tomytec figures in order of release

Farmers (s1-3)

Factory Workers (s4-6)

Passengers (s7-9)

Working people (s10-11)

People at amusement A (s13-15)

People at amusement B (s16-18)

Festival People (s19-21)

students summer uniform (s22)

students winter uniform (s23)

people at shinto shrine (s24)

people standing still (s25-27)

people at temple (s28)

people walking (s29-31)

people at bon odori (s32-34)

people at fishing port (s35-37)

people at wedding (s38-40)

showa period people (s41-42)

workers (s43-45)

cheers

jeff

Be nice if they released some railway workers, in particular steam era. Right now the only choice are the two Kato sets (trainside workers and trackside workers), and while the quality is ok, the cost and quantity aren't so great.

Actually the first tomytec figures were farmers to go with the farm house series, the first buildings they put out individually followed by the small industrial buildings and workers. most times they are to match up with other buildings being produced and as bill mentioned they definitely have a larger theme in mind for the big subscription series that they also sell as whole diorama kits now as well.

great figures, best bang for the buck out there in figures. usually have 2-3 sets of the same 12 figures just painted differently.

Tomytec figures in order of release

Farmers (s1-3)

Factory Workers (s4-6)

Passengers (s7-9)

Working people (s10-11)

People at amusement A (s13-15)

People at amusement B (s16-18)

Festival People (s19-21)

cheers

jeff

Aww..., but I was close!!  :laugh:

So, I guess I am missing something, but what exactly is the TomyTec line of trains then?

I believe the Tomytec line is a nogstalga based line aimed at the Japanese market.  Obscure lines like the Kambara Railway http://www.japaneserailwaysociety.com/jrs/members/naito/kmbr/kmbr.htm, Choshi Electric, Kotoden, Niigata Kotsu, Hitachi Electric --all of which were rail fan favorites because of ancient equipment and were very common 10 years ago.  These cars and lines disappeared because of a combination of factors.  Kotoden's 80 year old cars weren't air conditioned, and many of these lines closed after the 90s recession and the shortening of the school week to 5 days a week around 2002. Of the lines mentioned, only Kotoden is running today.

These are interurbans, that is electric cars with more frequent station spacing than steam lines and often rolling, curving lines.

These cars generally were acquired second or third hand from major private railway lines in Tokyo and Osaka.  Kambara's final cars in 1999 were 1926 vintage Siebu Railway EMUs then running solo.

Tomytec also issues some major private railway cars of types that are that are not seen now.  While today major private railways have cars with at least three double doors, in the 60s there were 18 to 20m cars with only three single leaf doors like the Hanshin Electric Railway 3303 in the 5th Tomytec Railway Collection.

Tomytec has also made about two dozen special releases not offered to the retail dealer network.  These are usually produced for private railways (mainly major, but there have been some minor) and released around the Day of the Railway in October for sale only by railway offices.

Modemo already has the legendary lines like Enoden, the vintage Hakone-Tozan cars and  Meitetsu's 600v interurbans tied up.

By comparison other Japanese train manufacturers focus their train product lines on various niches (as I see it) with some minor deviations.

Kato-- JR primarily

Tomix -- JR primarily

Greenmax--major private railways, some JR

MicroAce--major private railways and some JR

Modemo--trams, Enoden and Meitetsu Gifu 600v interurbans

B-Train Shorty--novelty JR and private railway trains (many special releases JR West and various private railways)

In the Pro-Hobby collections if I'm not mistaking.

Do they?! that would be great. so far the only photographers i know of are the presser set and they aint cheap! but the pro hobby figures are not that cheap either! i keep hoping tomytec will do a line of folks snapping pictures and maybe one or two with a small video camera! so many scenes i want to do involve someone snapping a pict!

jeff

A minor point.  I perceive them as different brands owned by the same company.  Tomytec had about 6 pages in the 2009 Tomix catalog.  A Tomytec brochure I received with the Japanese train magazine DJ also includes some Tomix products. Their now is a single web site, for Tomix, Tomytec and several other product lines.  http://www.tomytec.co.jp/  If they are separate companies is only to for legal liability or minority ownership issues.

Incidentally, Tomix appears to be English and does not translate into Japanese, while Tomy does translate.

Do they?! that would be great. so far the only photographers i know of are the presser set and they aint cheap! but the pro hobby figures are not that cheap either! i keep hoping tomytec will do a line of folks snapping pictures and maybe one or two with a small video camera! so many scenes i want to do involve someone snapping a pict!

jeff

I have one of the TomyTec collections that came with a photographer taking a picture. I have him glued down to the end of the platform near the Shrine photographing oncoming trains arriving at the station.

im pretty sure tomix and tomytec are both owned wholy by tomy the big toy company. probably divisions that work together. probably use the same manufacturing.

cheers

jeff

jeff

I have one of the TomyTec collections that came with a photographer taking a picture. I have him glued down to the end of the platform near the Shrine photographing oncoming trains arriving at the station.

really, i never remember seeing either camera or video cameras at all in the tomytec sets. which one was this? im on the road right now so cant look in my tomytec figure box! bandai tv trucks did have film crew member with each truck (male and female reporter, camera man, and sound guy) but only one person per truck so you needed 4 trucks to get a full crew!

cheers

jeff

thanks, these are prohobby (icom). didnt know they had photographer sets like this! still wish tomytec would do a set of 12 photographers!

cheers

jeff