T-Gauge - more than just a gimmick?

Sir Madog

I am pondering to build a small T- Gauge layout on a shelf above my desk, just some dog-bone shaped, double track oval on a 1´ by 3 ´board. My local hobby supply store does not carry Eishindo products, so that I did not have the chance to see their products.

Before laying out the cash, I´d like to know, whether T-Gauge is more than just a gimmick for a few days.

How reliable do the trains run?

Any experience on "long-term" quality?

How good is the track?

How good is the overhead - does it brake easily or have they used a softer, more forgiving plastic.

Any experience you´d like to share with me is highly welcomed!

Based on personal experience, which is only with the new mechanism, the trains run great.  The original 103's had some teething problems, but apparently the new ones are much better than the old.  That said, you'd probably be better off with a KiHa or a Hankyu 9000 series.

Minimum radius you'd want to go would be 132.5mm, the 120mm is just too tight for reliable operation I've heard. 

I've got a pulse controller on the way from a Talking T-Gauge forum member, and this improves slow speed operation and response.  That said, the eishindo controllers aren't that bad.  The track is good as well, albeit oversized.  Only big thing I noticed is you really have to be careful about gtting the rails into the joiners, I've had to reassemble a couple of times because of the bump between tracks.  The flex track is goot, it just comes warped from the factory...  but once you work it a little bit and get it down, it's fine.

Biggest thing is the turnouts...  they're borderline from what I've heard, but them and the 'S' curve can cause some problems.  If you want an 's' curve, go with the flex and broaden it out.  Possibly that may be the route to go with the turnouts, especially if you don't need the diverging route to go directly alongside your main track.

T Gauge has more coming out all the time, and I must say, I'm in love with this tiny scale.  It opens up opportunities and possibilities not available in other scales.

I'd personally say take the plunge.  T can be had for less than N scale, but you get more bang for your buck.  I'm definitely going to be getting more in the future.

Madog,

I've had Tgauge since it came out and have had fun with it. it is tiny and the early equipment had some reliability issues, but its gotten better and better as they have been really good about trying to improve the mechanisms. thing to remember is its a very small company and basically driven by the owner, so they can roll out lots of stuff fast. they have done an excellent job of bring the whole thing from nothing pretty quickly. it will take some pertinence, but in the long run it really looks interesting, especially how much you can put in a small table top layout!!

cheers

jeff