JR West's Kisuki Line in Winter

miyakoji

Ok, Prototypes is dead quiet so here's something to consider: the Kisuki Line.  Not Kitsugi (it's written 木次), but Kisuki.  According to a vice-principal I used to sit next to, this is amongst the most remote regions in the country, and the outstanding youtube contributor nimo5 has documented it for us.  Every time I watch this, I could kick myself for not getting out here to see this.  Although, filming in this weather must have been a stroke of luck, and service on this line is pretty infrequent.  Southbound from Kisugi, there are only 8 departures per day.  You'll notice the day becomes brighter through the videos--this is train 1441D, which according to ekikara.jp departs Kisugi Station at 6:53AM and arrives at Bingo-Ochiai at 9:03AM (http://ekikara.jp/newdata/detail/2701341/35426.htm).  It's easy to get stuck in the middle of nowhere, I did it not too far from here on the Geibi Line, which come to think of it may have put me off trying to ride this one  :grin.

Kisugi to Shimokuno

Shimokuno to Izumo-Minari

Izumo-Minari to Izumo-Yokota

Izumo-Yokota to Yakawa

Yakawa to Izumo-Sakane

Izumo-Sakane to Miinohara

Miinohara to Bingo-Ochiai

bikkuri bahn

Yes, remote.  Connecting Shimane Pref. (uranihon-backside of Japan) and the "sticks" of interior Hiroshima Prefecture.  Many of these types of routes in the Chugoku region- some quite interesting as they serve as "cross country" lines linking the populated and less populated sides of Japan, for example the Hakubi Line.  This one quite scenic I suppose and entertaining for the mileage hounds, but the turnoff for me is the rolling stock- railbus (yecch!!) type kiha 120.  I'd much rather spend my money riding the kiha 181 Hamakaze- 500hp thunder beats a glorified bus on rail anyday.  Besides, the 120 will be around for awhile, the 181 is hurtling closer to its date with the scrapper.

I've ridden the Kisuki Line twice :grin, but not in the winter. There is a switchback at Izumo-Sakane. I've yet to do the Geibi Line from Bingo-Ochiai to Hiroshima though.

Thats quite the line

I can't watch the prototype thread anymore it just makes me mad that a trip to Japan is still years away for me! (we want our little girl to be a little older to really appreciate it)

I just needed to comment.  only 8 trains a day?

We have only 6 departures a week

*sigh*  I see more trains in my day trainspotting when we go home to to the UK than I see in a year here in Halifax

I just needed to comment.  only 8 trains a day?

We have only 6 departures a week

*sigh*  I see more trains in my day trainspotting when we go home to to the UK than I see in a year here in Halifax

Lol. I have here 8 in an hour in the evening rush hour. Just a stop down the line into the city this increases to about fourteen... Alas, these are U-Bahn (Subway) trains with only 4 types running around... :lipssealed:

Makes you wonder what Japanese tourists might think when they ask when the train comes in some comparable country town in Australia and they get told "next Tuesday", or more likely, "the last one was 40 years ago". :sad:

Makes you wonder what Japanese tourists might think when they ask when the train comes in some comparable country town in Australia and they get told "next Tuesday", or more likely, "the last one was 40 years ago". :sad:

Isn't that the truth.. the wierd thing here with Train 14 " The Ocean" to Montreal is that it doesn't run on Tuesdays.. thats right Tuesdays.. why I don't know.. but don't expect to get anywhere if you arrive Tuesday!  and its the only passenger train in the whole province.

Toni , I would love even some U-Bahn stuff, I *own* more trains that Via Canada! :)

G.

Yes, remote.  Connecting Shimane Pref. (uranihon-backside of Japan) and the "sticks" of interior Hiroshima Prefecture.  Many of these types of routes in the Chugoku region- some quite interesting as they serve as "cross country" lines linking the populated and less populated sides of Japan, for example the Hakubi Line.  This one quite scenic I suppose and entertaining for the mileage hounds, but the turnoff for me is the rolling stock- railbus (yecch!!) type kiha 120.  I'd much rather spend my money riding the kiha 181 Hamakaze- 500hp thunder beats a glorified bus on rail anyday.  Besides, the 120 will be around for awhile, the 181 is hurtling closer to its date with the scrapper.

I agree completely about the KiHa120s, I never liked them.  I had never thought of them as a railbus type vehicle, but now that I think about it, yes, that's exactly what's wrong with them.  It is too bad about the 181s, I liked their throttle behavior when accelerating from a stop.  Wide open or close to it, then back off, then back to full.  At least the 181's replacement is one of the nicest DMUs to be built in a while.  I liked the 187s when they arrived, but the 189 is much nicer and really something.

I've ridden the Kisuki Line twice :grin, but not in the winter. There is a switchback at Izumo-Sakane. I've yet to do the Geibi Line from Bingo-Ochiai to Hiroshima though.

If you're going to do the Geibi Line, make sure you catch the northeastern most section from Bingo-Ochiai to Niimi.

Yes, remote.  Connecting Shimane Pref. (uranihon-backside of Japan) and the "sticks" of interior Hiroshima Prefecture.  Many of these types of routes in the Chugoku region- some quite interesting as they serve as "cross country" lines linking the populated and less populated sides of Japan, for example the Hakubi Line.  This one quite scenic I suppose and entertaining for the mileage hounds, but the turnoff for me is the rolling stock- railbus (yecch!!) type kiha 120.  I'd much rather spend my money riding the kiha 181 Hamakaze- 500hp thunder beats a glorified bus on rail anyday.  Besides, the 120 will be around for awhile, the 181 is hurtling closer to its date with the scrapper.

I agree completely about the KiHa120s, I never liked them.  I had never thought of them as a railbus type vehicle, but now that I think about it, yes, that's exactly what's wrong with them.  It is too bad about the 181s, I liked their throttle behavior when accelerating from a stop.  Wide open or close to it, then back off, then back to full.  At least the 181's replacement is one of the nicest DMUs to be built in a while.  I liked the 187s when they arrived, but the 189 is much nicer and really something.

If you're going to do the Geibi Line, make sure you catch the northeastern most section from Bingo-Ochiai to Niimi.

Already done twice when I did the Kisuki Line, just got to go the other way to Hiroshima.