Bandai B-Train Shorty

Welshbloke

Hello Folks, I'm trialling these magnetic couplers from the British manufacturer Westhill Wagon Works. The magnetic couplers are on the left.  https://westhillwagonworks.com/14-hunt-couplings-elite-n
They appear to be OK for 183mm radius curves on the Bandai B Train Shorty units, and I think that 150mm radius should be OK also.

20231216_182709.jpg

20231216_182945.jpg

20231216_183058.jpg

Edited by Andrew G
  • Like 3
SwallowAngel

Quick question: Anyone here got the measurements for the old Bandai Diesel Chassis?

I was wondering wether or not I could just trim a KATO 4-axle Chassis to fit a DD51/DE10. While some heavy modification on the chassis seems neccesary, going off of pictures, it seems possible...

Dinosbacsi

Based on this video, it should fit I guess. Though it does seem to sit a bit high, but that might simply be because of the smaller bogeys used in the Kato chassis.

Super something  to keep me entertained behind you at the stoplight! Looks good to go. Just need to run the controller up to the front see so you can run it via the rear view mirror (well I guess I was running a train won’t be an excuse when you rear end someone though…)

jeff

• Like 1

@cteno4

The controller could be the radio knob in the car or the centrifugal forces of cornering like a roller coaster?! In any case, you'll get a lot of attention, even from the police 😅 🚔🚨👮‍♂️👮‍♀️ If you're lucky, you can convince him of the idea and he'll play with it himself...

Edited by lighthouse

That’s what T scale trains do. But then you need steel wheels and rails. It is effective with tiny T scale as you can even run the trains upside down hanging from the rail. That won’t happen with n scale unless the wheels are made from rare earth magnets! There’s a thought maybe put some rare earth bar magnets in the bottom of the chassises and some plate steel under the track roadbed.

jeff

There is already a large and convinently placed plate steel located above the engine of the car, so there's need to stare at the rear mirror any longer. The Traffic police should be happy about you looking out through the windscreen at all times. The windscreen wiper engines operate at 12V, so this is a perfect place to hook up the power for the model railway on the hood and the train can then be operated using the windscreen wiper switch on the steering wheel. 😁

Edited by MeTheSwede
20 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Super something  to keep me entertained behind you at the stoplight! Looks good to go. Just need to run the controller up to the front

I suppose having the trains set up on the track while on the go can't really work. Even if they are just stopped and not running, they would fly all over the place on bumps, lol.

About the controller, it is 12V for N scale, right? In that case I could run the controller off the power of the cigar lighter.

7 hours ago, Kingmeow said:

Need to figure out how to magnetize the wheels or tracks or both so you can run it WHILE driving.  🤣

That would be cool, lol.