Jump to content

Bandai B-Train Shorty


Welshbloke

Recommended Posts

Shinjinkun
On 6/28/2022 at 8:48 AM, disturbman said:

@lukewang01had developped a 3D replacement chassis, https://jnsforum.com/community/topic/18096-3d-printed-b-train-shorty-chassis/, but he has been MIA due to finals. I don't know if the thingiverse link still works.

That said, I think @5lyp3t3and/or @tossedmanhad worked out a solution and something was perhaps uploaded to Shapeways.

 

Thanks for the link, @disturbman. I checked the posts, but it seems that the thread has been dormant for a while. I posted in case it is still possible to get them. Unfortunately, I don't own a 3D printer, and I don't think is really cost-effective to buy one in order to motorize my shorties XD

Link to comment
wonge15
On 6/28/2022 at 2:48 PM, disturbman said:

@lukewang01had developped a 3D replacement chassis, https://jnsforum.com/community/topic/18096-3d-printed-b-train-shorty-chassis/, but he has been MIA due to finals. I don't know if the thingiverse link still works.

That said, I think @5lyp3t3and/or @tossedmanhad worked out a solution and something was perhaps uploaded to Shapeways.

 

Hi @disturbman, I can confirm the thingiverse link does still work. However one thing to note is that the holes on the chassis are a bit to small for directly popping in the kato bogies, so I had to sand the holes down. Otherwise, the 3d print chassis works just fine. 

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment

@wonge15 great news. Probably best to ream the hole out with a drill anyway. What did you print them with?

 

cheers,

 

jeff

Link to comment
wonge15
On 7/19/2022 at 2:24 AM, cteno4 said:

@wonge15 great news. Probably best to ream the hole out with a drill anyway. What did you print them with?

 

cheers,

 

jeff

Thanks for the reply. My friend helped me print it with an Ultimaker printer (print settings included below), it took around 2 mins to print eight.

WhatsApp Image 2022-07-22 at 3.14.24 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-07-22 at 3.06.59 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-07-22 at 3.06.53 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-07-22 at 3.06.42 PM (1).jpeg

Link to comment

So extrusion, correct? Seems like a good project even for a lower resolution extrusion printer! 
 

jeff

Link to comment
wonge15
17 hours ago, cteno4 said:

So extrusion, correct? Seems like a good project even for a lower resolution extrusion printer! 
 

jeff

Yes, definitely! IMO the resolution doesnt matter much anyways as you barely see the chassis 90% of the time, its only the overall rigidity of the chassis that really matters.

Link to comment

Thanks that was my guess as well and actually one of the most compelling reasons for me to try a small/inexpensive extrusion printer in the future. I’d still like to play with lighting shorties at some point and making custom chassis to run wiring would also be nice. Some of the older ones had the crescent cutouts for pickups around the pivot point, but that kind of went away later. Also could add more undercarriage details easily.

 

jeff

Link to comment
wonge15
On 7/24/2022 at 2:54 AM, cteno4 said:

Thanks that was my guess as well and actually one of the most compelling reasons for me to try a small/inexpensive extrusion printer in the future. I’d still like to play with lighting shorties at some point and making custom chassis to run wiring would also be nice. Some of the older ones had the crescent cutouts for pickups around the pivot point, but that kind of went away later. Also could add more undercarriage details easily.

 

jeff

I'm also thinking with toying around with 3d printing as well, but I'm planning to make b-trains of other existing trains. I've already got a model of a KTX-Sancheon locomotive adapted and ready to print, I'll see how that works out.

 

 

image.thumb.png.39d6f2ccbbba5dcef977b7303e786b53.png

 

 

image.thumb.png.ebb097245c28c031f9045567ee4360b0.png

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 7/26/2022 at 1:41 PM, wonge15 said:

I'm also thinking with toying around with 3d printing as well, but I'm planning to make b-trains of other existing trains. I've already got a model of a KTX-Sancheon locomotive adapted and ready to print, I'll see how that works out.

 

 

image.thumb.png.39d6f2ccbbba5dcef977b7303e786b53.png

 

 

image.thumb.png.ebb097245c28c031f9045567ee4360b0.png

 

Keep us updated about that. Really interesting 👍

Link to comment

Since there is no new Shorties coming, I thought I'll try something and did (in my best tradition 😅 ) a paper mockup of a new train. For this I chose the Berlin S-Bahn BR 481 as a test for S-Bahn and U-Bahn Shorties. It has a fairly boxy design and you can hopefully easily check for proportions and scale. I am currently building two wagons to figure if i go for 150 or 160 scale... Anyways, this is what i got so far. 

 

1447759145_kami_illy-b-train4811.thumb.jpg.12e9a886f310c93fe51a2ebcdc178e69.jpg

674137797_kami_illy-b-train4812.thumb.jpg.f5e56e1730be4ac3cb7fe83c306f5ca5.jpg

2052427811_kami_illy-b-train4813.thumb.jpg.561bb2d74a2ac6dff8701b9df9bb6bc9.jpg

1769856241_kami_illy-b-train4814.thumb.jpg.d2309455336f508980d000af76a6d34b.jpg

 

And in case you were wondering about the different prints in the first pic, the Berlin S-Bahn are changing liveries right now. So I drew old and new ones...

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Just now, kami_illy said:

Since there is no new Shorties coming, I thought I'll try something and did (in my best tradition 😅 ) a paper mockup of a new train. For this I chose the Berlin S-Bahn BR 481 as a test for S-Bahn and U-Bahn Shorties. It has a fairly boxy design and you can hopefully easily check for proportions and scale. I am currently building two wagons to figure if i go for 150 or 160 scale... Anyways, this is what i got so far. 

 

1447759145_kami_illy-b-train4811.thumb.jpg.12e9a886f310c93fe51a2ebcdc178e69.jpg

674137797_kami_illy-b-train4812.thumb.jpg.f5e56e1730be4ac3cb7fe83c306f5ca5.jpg

2052427811_kami_illy-b-train4813.thumb.jpg.561bb2d74a2ac6dff8701b9df9bb6bc9.jpg

1769856241_kami_illy-b-train4814.thumb.jpg.d2309455336f508980d000af76a6d34b.jpg

 

And in case you were wondering about the different prints in the first pic, the Berlin S-Bahn are changing liveries right now. So I drew old and new ones...

 

PS. in case there will be more content coming on this one and maybe @wonge15's project it might be worth to open a separate topic "B-Train Shorty (Worldwide)"

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...