100 Series Shinkansen Last Run

bill937ca

This movie shows the final departure of 100 series Shinkansen "Formation No.G47" from Tokyo station.

Both No.G49 & G47 Formation were wrapped in special design for their exhibition final running of retiring,

and G49 Formation was used in the final running from Tokyo at 16 Sep. 2003.

and This G47 formation,spare for G49, was forwarding(out of service) from Tokyo to Hamamatsu Factory at 2 Feb. 2004.

• Like 3
bikkuri bahn

What's remarkable about this clip is how so few fans are on hand to record this event, relatively speaking.  What a difference 6 years make!  If this were to happen now, there would probably be a mob, which is the current norm unfortunately.  I for one would welcome a return to the quieter days when you could stake out a spot, and not worry about idiots shoving their cheap pocket cameras and cellphones into your line of sight.  Japan is a nation of social booms, so there is hope...

Anyway, this clip is also apropos as JR West is repainting 3 of their 100 series trainsets in the original white and blue livery, as a tribute to the work these units have done over the years.  The 100 series are due to be retired from the Sanyo Shinkansen line in the spring of 2012.

ShinCanadaSen

Kind of sad to see the old trains go. I was really sad when I heard that the 0-series had been retired by JRWest. Just glad I got a chance to ride it from Osaka to Himeji when I was in Japan in 2006.

Hobby Dreamer

The first Kato train I ever saw was a green 100 series, maybe 20 or more years ago or so; way before the Channel Tunnel trains. It seemed light years ahead of the passenger trains we had in Canada at the time.

N-scale was not at all popular then but this model suddenly made you think that "N" was the way to go!!

I often wondered what a young Japanese modeller might think if he saw contemporary North American models at that time?

bikkuri bahn
It seemed light years ahead of the passenger trains we had in Canada at the time.

Dunno about Canada (btw I really like the classic Budd Cars used on the Canadian, and the VIA Renaissance types), but these are still light years ahead of anything in the USA, especially when you consider operations :laugh:

I often wondered what a young Japanese modeller might think if he saw contemporary North American models at that time?

To use a popular current term: "meh"...  Wouldn't you be when you knew what was waiting for you back home?

It seemed light years ahead of the passenger trains we had in Canada at the time.

Dunno about Canada (btw I really like the classic Budd Cars used on the Canadian, and the VIA Renaissance types), but these are still light years ahead of anything in the USA, especially when you consider operations :laugh:

Have you ever been on a Renaissance car BB?  They are hell.  There is no room for carry on luggage (room in the overhead bin for nothing larger than the typical woman's purse and no room at your feet), there is no place to get a drink of water, only bottled water for sale; two and one seating which nice in some ways but would be cramped for anyone not too much over 6 feet  and when you exit you have virtually no hand rail when climbing down the steps. Lots of fun at 11:45PM after a long day.  Ughhh!!  But the window shades are nice.

http://www.viarail.ca/en/about-via-rail/our-fleet/renaissance-coach-car'>http://www.viarail.ca/en/about-via-rail/our-fleet/renaissance-coach-car

Give me an LRC coach an day or a Budd coach.

http://www.viarail.ca/en/about-via-rail/our-fleet/lrc-coach'>http://www.viarail.ca/en/about-via-rail/our-fleet/lrc-coach

http://www.viarail.ca/en/about-via-rail/our-fleet

bikkuri bahn

re:Renaissance cars.  More impressed by their Euro-look i.e. something that looks like it was designed in the last decade or so, rather than perpetually stuck in a 1970's time warp. (they are after all ex-Channel Tunnel sleeper stock, perhaps based on mark 4?), other parts you mention are based more on VIA rail policy (how hard is it to install a drinking water dispenser?- you can find them on any 30+ year old design blue train series 14 or 24 sleeper).  Well, I suppose the British loading gauge makes things tight for um, bigger North Americans. Anyway, I'm one that's satisfied with a B shindai berth (lower berth thank you) or a couchette on a European overnight train, so a "cozy" renaissance room would likely be no problem.

The first Kato train I ever saw was a green 100 series, maybe 20 or more years ago or so; way before the Channel Tunnel trains. It seemed light years ahead of the passenger trains we had in Canada at the time.

N-scale was not at all popular then but this model suddenly made you think that "N" was the way to go!!

The green and white ones were the Tohoku Shinkansen 200 series, similar but different.

http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php/topic,2642.0.html

Hobby Dreamer

Thanks Westfalen

These trains still look more like aircraft!  At the time I saw these Kato models the store had one on a test track that labelled them as Bullets, only. (Not sure if that was the right name to the right model either, but it fit!)

I have to second the comments about the ren cars, they are awful, straight backed seats in the compartments and very uncomfortable.  The old budd cars are far more comfortable, we were really upset here in the east when they took away our budds. :(

I am 6'3 and ended up sleeping on the floor of the car instead of the bed in the cabin

G

I have to second the comments about the ren cars, they are awful, straight backed seats in the compartments and very uncomfortable.  The old budd cars are far more comfortable, we were really upset here in the east when they took away our budds. :(

I am 6'3 and ended up sleeping on the floor of the car instead of the bed in the cabin

G

You might get your Budds back.  The Rens are on the corridor while LRCs are being rebuilt.  Hopefully, they disappear soon after that.