Miserly Americans

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

Interesting article about electronics stores in Akihabara making efforts to attract wealthy Chinese tourists:

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-06-30/tokyo-gets-mandarin-makeover-as-sony-lures-chinese-tourists.html

But the most interesting bit was this:

Chinese visitors spend an average $1,300 per trip, compared with $340 by South Koreans and $280 by Americans, according to the Japan National Tourism Organization.

Of course Chinese are mainly in Japan to shop, and perhaps see a few sights, rather than to get a taste of the "exotic orient" (lol!), but looking at those figures, it's no wonder why Japan doesn't promote itself much in the U.S.- they get little return on investment!  Of course, I think the average JNS member would beat that $280 figure easily just with model RR related purchases :cheesy  Perhaps this is a hint to tourism offcials- niche marketing.

Actually, it's because the Americans spent all their money on the plane ticket.  :grin

Yeah, I think I'd spend a good bit more than $280 if I ever made it to Akihabara.  Probably a good reason not to go... nah.

Having made the trip, I know I spent *way* more than $280. :) I didn't spend it all at Akihabara, though. I found a well-stocked used Manga store about 2 blocks from Kyoto station....

Chinese have savings and probably little in quality alternatives back home.  Americans have debt and lots of alternatives back home.  On a economic macro sense China has savings and America has debt.

That is an interesting statistic about the Chinese compared to Americans. Also the proximity of China to Japan is a much easy travel and I would think less costly. I wonder why they mention South Koreans in the statistic, why not a European country too? 

bikkuri bahn
I wonder why they mention South Koreans in the statistic, why not a European country too? 

I'm not 100% sure, but I think South Korean visitors are the largest in number among foreign tourists in Japan- they certainly come up here to Hokkaido, though they are not as conspicuous as the Chinese traveling in large groups buying gifts and cold medicine in bulk(!).  European visitor numbers are minor in comparison, I think, though numbers may have increased due to the popularity of manga, etc.

CaptOblivious

Hell, Japanese electronics manufacturers would just be competing with themselves if they promoted consumer tourism in America! Having just bought a new digital point-and-shoot, I can tell you: I could have any camera I wanted, so long as it was Japanese. Are there even any American camera companies left? As far as I can see, aside from very small niche demographics, for the entire range of low- to high-end stuff, your choices are Japanese and some German, yeah?

That said, Amy and I spent way more than $280 apiece on our trip, without having bought a single train. Lots of china and pottery and toys. Hell, I must have spent nearly $200 on Revoltech figures alone (which were new at the time).

I wonder why they mention South Koreans in the statistic, why not a European country too?  

I'm not 100% sure, but I think South Korean visitors are the largest in number among foreign tourists in Japan- they certainly come up here to Hokkaido, though they are not as conspicuous as the Chinese traveling in large groups buying gifts and cold medicine in bulk(!).  European visitor numbers are minor in comparison, I think, though numbers may have increased due to the popularity of manga, etc.

Quite a few middle aged SKs I met in 6 yrs had Zojirushi rice cookers and carried really expensive handbags :-)

Actually, couple of times my wife and I visited Japan, we spent right around 3500 USD. So maybe it's all in the numbers! I spent too much at Tokyo Hands dept store I tell ya that. I did get put out to the dog house for that one. The train stuff was figured in right at 750, so I thought I was doing good at the time. That store has too much stuff, it overloads the senses.

It may also be the demographics of who is traveling to japan these days for tourism in japan from NA. i think the older you get the less you tend to spend on things and more on doing things when traveling. I know this is very true for me and also my wife over the years. We are down to a few small gifts, but only if we can find something that is really cool for the person, not just grab something just to bring the token gift home. even more careful with stuff for us, it has to sing. we might spend way more than we use to if we really find something cool, but that does not happen a lot.

I know next trip to japan we probably would not buy many things, again unless that perfect thing were to show up. As for trains i would only probably be shopping for a few rare things and not be on a big spending spree as i have a lot of the main trains i want. also would be looking for the rare bits and pieces.

I was never a big buyer of electronics on my trip to japan, even in the days before the internet. few little gadgets, but the big stuff like the cameras were a problem as some were not covered by NA distributors for repair. in the old days it was hard to find out what the exact scoop was so there was a gamble there. also in those days the stuff sold in japan only came with a japanese manual, no multilingual versions or download the english pdf. now days we can get most anything via the internet and the difference in the release times in japan vs NA has shrunk a lot and if you really want it its pretty easy to order from japan and have it in two days. we are also so inundated by tech goods now that i think most folks dont feel that what they see in Akihabara is so compelling to start buying lots. so i think the big hay day of NA tourists buying tech goods in japan is gone.

i think where japan can scoop more money out of NA tourists is to go for experiences as we do spend a lot on those still while traveling (friends came back from a cruise ship with their kids and grand kids and they spent 150% the cost of the cruise itself on side experiences while on the cruise!) and being in japan its just more exotic. cool rail trips that would be easy for the average tourist to do to interesting places, loops, etc would be great. would spread the money out around the country as well. money spent going into service stuff like experiences and the tangential spending goes through a lot more regular folks pockets than buying manufactured goods (especially electronics).

cheers,

jeff

ps i must admit that my first trip to japan in the early 80s while in grad school i came back with a whole duffle bag full of wind up toys (pre japanese train collecting days)! they were cheap and the chatchkies that a grad student could afford, but i was worried that customs was going to open the bag and hassle me! many are still treasures today!

From what I recall, even with a very cheap yen electronic products were cheaper in Europe than in Japan.

But like it was said before. I think Americans (and it might be the same for Europeans) are only interested to bring back some very "exotic" products (like china ware, kimonos, katanas and the usual gadget). The rest, they can find back home.

What impresses me is how low the figure is. $280 is nothing and I wonder if it includes hotel nights and food or not. Because, with that type of average budget you are in an average trip of four days or less, everything included.

The first time I was in Japan, when I stayed only in Tokyo for 10 days, I think I spent around 300 or 400€ without going crazy on anything (I just brought back about 60€ of trains).

i think that number was for take home purchases, not travel, food, and lodging. it would be a one or two day trip if that were the case!

i agree NA and european folks would probably only be really spending on the exotic things to take home in these days of the internet. even then its amazing what you can get via the internet now!

cheers

jeff

Since I do "carry-on" only, I just don't have space to carry things back. And even if I could, I wouldn't as there is no need to buy anything in Japan, that I can't buy here.

If they added in what we buy from Hobby Search and Plaza Japan we'd beat those darn Chinese. :grin

I find myself not buying as much when I travel these days, only things that catch my eye or is heavily discounted. If my time in Japan is limited I'd rather spend a day riding or watching trains than shopping.