I Guess It's a Bridge. Is It Worth Building?

In many parts of Western Tokyo, small rivers were covered and made into what is called Green Paths. This ditch (which seems to be hardly longer than the tracks are wide) is close to a green path, so it might be for over flows during heavy rains. The green paths are usually pedestrian walk ways. Recently some have been upgraded with a small stream running in the center. Some paths have cherry blossom trees on each side of what used to be the river. My wife prefers to walk along the paths rather than use the sidewalks along busy streets. The paths often wind between houses rather than along streets in residential areas. If you have a detailed map of Tokyo, the Green Paths are marked in green.

Here are some views.

About five minutes on foot from Kamimachi station, Setagaya line.

S7301976.jpg

Going towards Sangenjaya.

S7301943.jpg

This path is south of Shimikitazawa and goes toward Ikejiriohashi station, Den-en-toshi line. There is a small waterway in the middle of the greenery.

S7301313.jpg

Further down towards Ikejiriohashi. You can see the small waterway in the center.

S7301314.jpg

Still closer to Ikejiriohashi. The boy is looking at the small waterway. There are small fish including koi/carp. Further down, they have eel-like dojo/loaches, and crayfish.

S7301319.jpg

Best wishes,

Grant

Hope that this might be of some use.

Setagaya line, between Gotokuji and Matsubara.

They are fairly common in Japan.  I've seen similar bridges on the Hankai Tramway and on the former Meitetsu Tanigumi line.  Its just a small drainage ditch.  Probably essential during the rainy season.

You can probably find kits from Greenmax or Tsugawa that can be kit bashed.

This is south of Sakura-shinmachi, Den-en-toshi line. (Sazaesan-dori) There are cherry blossom trees on both sides of this small river. Further down, the river is covered and it becomes a green path.

S7301367.jpg

The same place as the photo taken near Shimokitazawa station. (Odakyu/Inokashira line)

S7301423.jpg

S7301427.jpg

You can see some unusual things along the green path. This is an abandoned house covered in vine.

S7300449.jpg

The same house in Winter. Note the collapsed roof.

S7301361.jpg

Best wishes,

Grant

More photos around the small bridge.

Left and right side views.

S7303800.jpg

Notice that the other side ends in a wall. There is no visible drainage hole there.

S7303801.jpg

From the opposite side.

S7303808.jpg

Left and then right sides and one more of the bridge.

S7303809.jpg

S7303810.jpg

S7303811.jpg

Best wishes,

Grant

I absolutely love the detail shots! Thanks for your hard work!

A request - when shooting things like signs can you try and get a good, straight, head on shot of them? That makes it easier for us to convert them into authentic n-scale details. I'd also like to get some good shots of store-fronts for authentic advertising and details for scratch building.

Whatever else, please keep posting your photos!

Grant, I'm with rankodd, your photos are a wonderful source of information and inspiration. Thanks again for sharing them with us.

If you wanted to build a model of this culvert, it would be a simple project. You could use styrene or card for the abutments, and either Plastruct or brass sections for the girders. I built something similar years ago, I'll see if I can find a photo.

All the best,

Mark.

rankodd and marknewton,

Sure, will do. I'll try to shoot the signs better, for you. I'll start shooting store fronts also.

Best wishes,

Grant

Mate, that would be terrific, I think everyone here will appreciate your efforts!

Thanks again,

Mark.

rankodd and marknewton,

Sure, will do. I'll try to shoot the signs better, for you. I'll start shooting store fronts also.

Best wishes,

Grant

You, sir,  are an officer and a gentleman!~ Thank you!

When I was in Japan I didn't have a good digital camera, so I didn't manage to get any shots like this - just the usual tourist claptrap. Now, all I want to look at are these kind of detail shots. Is that weird?

gmat, you're a legend.

That covered house is amazing! I wonder if anyone is squatting in there.

Meanwhile, those strung cables across the drain are awesome, will be modelling them.

Yeah, what they said.

It's details like this bridge that make a railway model more than just a length of track.  And things like the green path that give character to a city.  You've got a good eye. Keep up the excellent work.