Finding/Buying Kato spare parts - E233 powered bogies

David

A general question and a specific question.

First, any tips for how to find, get information on, and then buy spare parts for Kato models? Hobby Search has some spare parts (relatively easy to search and get info on), while HobbyWorld and other sources seem impossible to search (even with JAN codes). Is the only way to determine the spare parts to get the instruction sheet that comes with the model? (any online resources of scanned manuals?)

A more specific question is I'm trying to figure out the correct geared bogie for the Kato E233-0 (Chuo) powered motor car.

The powered section itself is easy to get (purpose being so that you can add power to the 4 car add on set instead of running it as a dummy):

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10109239

Kato's shop shows the part (sans picture and any useful information)

http://www.e-katomodels2.com/shop/g/g4731-1SB/

In the related products is ?something?, but I can't tell if it's the bogie, or the motor. And I can't find a store that sells it to foreigners.

I can't read Japanese so I'm sure I'm missing some of the subtlety, but my Chuo E233 (10-801) came with a three-page foldout instruction sheet that includes a parts list.  On it, the unpowered bogie (separate from the train floor assembly) is identified as "D" and the powered (or more strictly, geared) bogie is identified as "D1" (both bogies on a car appear to be the same).

On the parts list, the motor car lists the following text: "47311SD1" in the first column, and "(2) 1,470" in the second (where the "(2)" is actually a circled 2, and appears to be a quantity.

So my interpretation is that you're correct; that second part on Kato's site is the bogie.  But I have no idea where to get one. Perhaps you could email Hobby Search or one of the other stores that sells parts, and ask if it's something they can order separately?

Your link is for the whole power unit without bogie. As KenS pointed out, this is what you're after:

http://www.e-katomodels2.com/shop/g/g47311SD1/

People have had good luck in the past with fax orders through the Kato Shop in Shinjuku. I don't know if this is still the case.

Hobby World (hwjapan.com) can get stuff that is not listed on their website. Just email them with the exact part number. They speak pretty good English there.

My newest fave shop is Popondetta (popondetta.jp). Try emailing them. I can't find it on the website (they seem to carry bodies, power unit, and dummy bogie).  They can probably get it for you. I've been to the physical shop in Akihabara and I can tell you they carry lots of parts. Even though their website is completely Japanese, they speak very good English and ship internationally.

Good luck!

Try emailing Hobby Search (or any other dealer) about the part you want.  Although Hobby Search stocks Tomix parts, many times Kato parts have to be special ordered.