Yamanote or Keihin-Tōhoku Line

Guest ___

If you had to choose between the two, starting at Ueno and ending in Tokyo, which would you choose?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. If you had to choose between the two, starting at Ueno and ending in Tokyo, which would you choose?

• Yamanote Line
    • Keihin-Tōhoku Line

I was just thinking when I was in Ueno and had to travel to on the parallel lines, I would grab the first train that would arrive, but which line would local commuters go from Shinagawa to Nippori and points in between.

Depending on the time of day, the Keihin-Tōhoku could result in less crushing, unless you have a specific desire to ride a 6 door car before they are remove. Incidentally I'll likely be buying the Kato version of the E233-1000 this weekend (by chance a US source has it, so I can save on shipping).

CaptOblivious

Keihin-Tohoku line has rapid services that bypass Kanda and Okachimachi during rush hour.

Definitely Keihin-Tôhoku rapid services for this kind of trip. However they don't stop in Akiba where quite a few interesting model train shops are.

When there is a group of us on a tour travelling on that side of the Yamanote loop and both trains arrive at the same time, we often split up with some of us on each and have a race. :cool:

While, I normally have taken the KT Line, I prefer the Yamanote because they paint the trains green, so I'll vote Yamanote just to give them some love despite the fact historically I have ridden the KT more :P

Hezekiah Strawbody

Definitely Keihin-Tôhoku rapid services for this kind of trip. However they don't stop in Akiba where quite a few interesting model train shops are.

Akihabara is NOT bypassed  ??? The skipped stations on the rapid services between Hamamatsucho & Tabata are actually :

Nishi Nippori

Nippori

Uguisudani

Okachimachi

Kanda

Yurakucho

Shimbashi

Akihabara is NOT bypassed  ???

Whoops. Got mixed up there... Shows I need to go there again soon. I've ridden the KT more often I think, however rapids didn't stop at Nippori, my station where I'd had to change to the Keisei. Was probably mixing that one up with Akiba. :lipssealed:

TestudoToTetsudo

I said Yamanote because I only get to go to Japan occasionally and the Yamanote Line is such an icon of Tokyo I like to ride it when I can.  That said, if I were an actual daily commuter in Tokyo I'd probably go Keihin-Tohoku.

Of course this all gets more interesting in a couple years when the Tokaido Honsen and Takasaki/Utsunomiya lines run through...

SubwayHypes

it took me a while to finally learn to NOT take the yamanote line.  i would always stupidly hop on the crowded green train that made 100 stops.

then one day i finally learned to hop the shonan shinjuku or some of the other rapid lines.  it felt awesome shooting past yamanotes sitting at the stations....

best way from Ikebukuro to Shibuya is the shonan or the seiyko for sure.

on the other side of the city, its the orange and blues that work.

• Like 1

I never had a terribly good time railfanning in Tokyo, so I'm going to go for the Yamanote Line, because E231-500s accelerate faster than E233-1000s.  Just get it over with.

My wife used to take this route every day and she told me she'd just grab whichever was there but preferred the Keihin Tohoku.  We've also done this from other stations along the route, although I was surprised that I had to teach her the New York City trick of waiting for the next one during rush hour when the first train that comes is too packed to breathe :)  (She told me "that doesn't work in Tokyo!" but of course it does.)