Leaf Building from PAPER STRUCTURE

SONIC883_de

Hi,

in the last sleepless nights I want to try to build papercraft hoses for my layout, because I only find many different modern houses as papercrafts.

Producer ist PAPER STRUCTURE. He sell at Yahoo. See Auctions here

http://openuser.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/user/kurobou1101

He has a free builing as download on his page

http://www.zb.em-net.ne.jp/~pepast/Free/free.html

I want try this free building. The Picture quality is low but okay. I print the pictures with a laserprinter on a mid-heavy paper, but that wasn't to heavy enough for it. The big sides arn't really flat. The flaps arn't stable ...

But for my first try it dosn't look so bad.

post-78-13569924954114_thumb.jpg

That does look pretty good. I've never really liked the idea of paper buildings, but the examples I've seen (in photos) recently are slowly convincing me that these could be useful backgound buildings for filling in a dese urban scene.

Please keep us up to date with your experiences,

I really like the look of a lot of his buildings. Definitely something to consider, given that my layout is going to require a *lot* of buildings :(

The key to nice paper models is the cutting tools and paper stock.

Mat board and foam board for base.

Multiple paper stock - transparency, vinyl and inkjet paper.  cotton type not good - lint on cuts

Need photoshop to clean up the image to a higher dpi.

Spray on Adhesive

Glue first and clean cut to get the defined edges.

You want depth so overlaying gives the 3D look.

Transparency for glass appearance. 

Mat cutter wold be ideal -

I think they can look really good.

Inobu

Kai,

Having fun hey?! milk and cookies keeping you up at night?!

Paper structures like this like Inobu says does take a lot of careful thought into what you use where on materials. the photo buildings like this tend to work better in the distance as they have to be more 'flat' and thus if you see them closer you see the 2D nature of it. at a distance you get more 3D effect from the 2D photos.

mounting on a styrene, chipboard or foamcore base for all the main walls also helps a lot to keep the structure in tact. one big problem with cardstock buildings is keeping them nice and flat in the long run. in a year or two an unsupported wall can sag or warp with changes in humidity thru the seasons.

biggest problem with them in n scale is getting detail into them. since they are very 2D in the visual detail if you add small 3D visual details they can tend to visually stand out a lot more than they would on a plastic model with more 3D details in the walls. Senkai works on giving walls some depth by building them all up out of 2-5 layers so you get small indents for more depth detail.

the leaf building might work well with some styrene strips glued onto the walls for those verticals, but then you are almost getting into scratch building! i have been collecting paper buildings like this for use in tgauge (dont have to worry about the 3D details there as they are so small you would never see them anyway) and for start ideas for scratch buildings as well. yell if you want a pile of free pdfs like this i have collected from the web.

thanks for the yahoo links, interesting ideas there.

cheers

jeff

yell if you want a pile of free pdfs like this i have collected from the web.

Uh... Hiyah?

I'd love some building pdfs :) I'm planing on adapting them for a styrene based construction technique. Thanks to a local plastic shop, I have what amounts to an (n-scale) infinite supply of sheet styrene, and I have a *lot* of buildings that I need...

contact me off forum and and i can see about getting them to you.

plastic shops are great if they have a scrap pile/barrel they will let you rifle though! my local one also has a wall of scrap they sell at $1-2/lb, a steal! 4'x8' of 020 styrene was $6! 040 $8! i am sorely tempted to buy a 40" bench shear from a metal worker friend for $100. cuts styrene and chipboard beautifully in long straight cuts. problem is its about 250lbs and a bit of a monster and thinking that it might be just a bit too much for my shop!

jeff

SONIC883_de

Having fun hey?!

Yes, was a funny build. Some tricky parts, but that was okay

milk and cookies keeping you up at night?!

That's is not on my diet plan. So I haven't those delicious helper at home  :sad:

Paper structures like this like Inobu says does take a lot of careful thought into what you use where on materials. the photo buildings like this tend to work better in the distance as they have to be more 'flat' and thus if you see them closer you see the 2D nature of it. at a distance you get more 3D effect from the 2D photos.

mounting on a styrene, chipboard or foamcore base for all the main walls also helps a lot to keep the structure in tact. one big problem with cardstock buildings is keeping them nice and flat in the long run. in a year or two an unsupported wall can sag or warp with changes in humidity thru the seasons.

(SOME STUFF CUTTED)

them anyway) and for start ideas for scratch buildings as well.

You are right. Scratchbuild such buldings would be nicer. But for me is this a way to get more different buildings. In the moment the Leaf Buildings stands between the Tomix 5flor buildings and went you don't look direct to it you doesn't see it.

I haven't much space left on my Layout and the plastic skyscrappers arn't mine. They look like asparagus.

Then I like a flat/2D building more

yell if you want a pile of free pdfs like this i have collected from the web.

How lould must I yell?  :cheesy

thanks for the yahoo links, interesting ideas there.

I can take some photos of another angle when the kits has arrived and was build up :-)

In the moment we are looking for paypal, because he hasn't heard about it yet and the only way is the expencive bank transfer

cheers

jeff

sorry bout the cookies, was making the off-handed Blade Runner comment more than the foodstuffs.

I think you are right that to do the paper model justice in judging them they do need to get sprinkled into a scene with other buildings and then i expect their look might be very different than sitting all alone. some shadows alone may really change their look a lot and also only seeing parts of it at a time with other buildings obscuring them some. its easy to get picky when you just have the building sitting there alone with the lights blaring on it for a photo. also photos can change the impression a lot from what the eye sees. in a real scene some things can trick the eye into ignoring, enhancing, decreasing or filling in detail that does not happen as much or the same as when you see something in a photo. can work both ways as we use to make really simple chipboard models of exhibits with 2D cut out people standing around in them look totally detailed and real in pictures if we lit it just right! when looking at the scene we were shooting it didnt look at that real, even through the lens, but when you looked at the print it was a real change! I think this can work the opposite way as well with a paper model blending in well to a larger scene with lots of building and variation.

I think the variation here is the key to tricking the mind's eye into ignoring the 2D aspects of the paper buildings. with limited taller buildings the scenes tend to become monotonous with the same few taller buildings, usually repeated in a city scene, which you never see in reality (ie two buildings virtually the same w/in blocks of each other).

one small trick on these also is to run a felt tip pen thats around along the cut edge (the same color as a cut edge) to dull the white edge of the cut. makes the seam disappear at a very short viewing distance. also back them with heavier chip board or styrene as a bowing wall will ruin the photo illusion fast.

heard your yell ill send you a link to a pile!

so you were able to get contact with the guy on yahoo auctions to see about buying directly? let me know if it works out, might be interesting to pick one of these up to see how they work out!

cheers

jeff