Toden Arakawa Line, Cherry Blossoms and also Some Passerby Fans

Shot this April at the turn between Gakushuinshita and Omokagebashi stations. When I had my lessons near here, I would stop and shoot the trains at stations along the way home after class. This spot is very nice as the trains stop for the light when crossing the main street.

S7301428.jpg

S7301430.jpg

S7301431.jpg

S7301440.jpg

S7301447.jpg

S7301448.jpg

And some local people stopping to snap a few or watch with their kids.

S7301449.jpg

S7301453.jpg

S7301454.jpg

S7301457.jpg

Best wishes,

Grant

• Like 3

The next station past Gakushuinshita is Kishibojinmae and it is after a tunnel under a bridge.

From the station.

S7300493-1.jpg

Walking up from Gakushuinshita you can see the other end of the tunnel. It takes about seven minutes to walk from one station to the other.

S7300867.jpg

S7300499.jpg

S7300500.jpg

S7300865.jpg

S7300861.jpg

S7300866.jpg

Best wishes,

Grant

Arakawashakomae station is in front of the Toden Arakawa line's depot.

First visit.

S7300570.jpg

S7300569.jpg

S7300572.jpg

Second visit.

S7301098.jpg

S7301099.jpg

S7301100.jpg

S7301101.jpg

Just when you think that you might have a nice shot of the new pint job, a car pulles up in front of you and spoils the shot. i thought about standing in front of the lane to block any cars, but thought better of it. Some driver's are pretty unconscious or perhaps petty.

S7301107.jpg

There is a preserved train in front of the depot and parents bring their kids there to play inside and with their friends there. Other people stop by to take photos like me.

S7301108.jpg

Best wishes,

Grant

CaptOblivious

Grant, this is a great thread you've started, and a wonderful look at the Toden system!

Thank you, CaptOblivious,

I didn't see much pictures on the threads that I peeked at, but mostly videos, so I wondered if people might be interested in photos.

Taken at Arakawa Nanachome Station.

There is a curve here so after shooting some photos, I tried something different. I lay down on the ground and found that with the right zoom, I could catch the tram leaning to one side.

S7300551.jpg

S7300552.jpg

I found out that people make the photos more interesting. My student who likes trains, liked shots with people on the side. I thought that this lady might be waiting for her child, but she left after the tram passed.

S7300556.jpg

Best wishes,

Grant

Excellent photos, Grant! Thanks for sharing them. I particularly like those with people in them, makes a pleasant change from train-only views.

My only other comment - more please?  :grin

Cheers,

Mark.

Nice action angles you've shot at! Also, shame about the car that blocked your view, but day-um! That's a fraggin' really really nice AMG Mercedes there! A beast! Ahum...

I think the Arakawa line has a serious fanbase, as seen from your pictures. Ranging from die-hard fans to the more common by-passer spending a few minutes to watch this unique traction action.

Some great shots. I've ridden the Arakawa Line on several of my visits to Tokyo but I'm ashamed to admit I've never been all the way to either end of the line.

Next to Arakawa.nichome, about four stops from Minowabashi terminal, there is a ramp going towards a park near the Arakawa river.

You can shoot an above shot like these. Not the best, but different.

Like the people walking on the ramp in the first shot. Not deliberate, fool's luck.

S7300275.jpg

S7300276.jpg

S7300277.jpg

S7300278.jpg

Best wishes,

Grant

The tram turns from the main avenue before Asukayama, and it's a nice place to shoot it in the middle of a street.

S7300573.jpg

S7300574.jpg

S7300576.jpg

Best wishes,

Grant

Heading towards Waseda, and on the other side of Otsuka station, the tram passes by a bus parking area and then goes up a slope. Taken near dusk so the people are blurry.

S7300579.jpg

S7300585.jpg

S7300584.jpg

S7300582.jpg

If I had a better camera with a proper zoom lens, this would have come out less grainy.

S7300581.jpg

After the next station, Mukohara, and until past Higashi-Ikebukuro.yon.chome, I remember that the line often cuts through residential areas where it doesn't have a street running alongside. It was hard to follow the line on bicycle.

Best wishes,

Grant

Nice shots again. I really do like those from the bridge. A really good reference for modellers like me :grin shows the ROW and relation to the closeness of buildings to the tracks really well.

Never get to see the 9000's

I believe I've even ridden one when I was there. Same as the Enoden 10 and 20 series. Fake and uninteresting, just like a VW New Beetle and a New Mini.

TestudoToTetsudo

Great shots!

When I stayed in Tokyo last year I stayed in Otsuka and saw the Toden Arakawa Line cars, but didn't ride them (I stuck to the commuter rail mostly...).  I love that neighborhood!  Dense enough to be genuinely Tokyo, yet small enough to not feel overwhelming.  I took a few pics of them at Otsuka, just need to get around to posting them...

Grant,

thanks great shots! lots added to my street car reference files! it really helps getting shots of all the different angles and kinds of ROR for my ttrak modules! your shots are nice "scene" shots that capture the scene as well as the car!

more are welcome!

thanks

jeff

Thank you, cteno4,

Your comments will help me know what to shoot, so that I can help people here. I have many photos of the Setagaya line as it is near my apartment and I pass by it quite often.

Best wishes,

Grant