What train is this?

I live in Tokyo and have recently started taking photos of trains with my cheap Samsung digital camera. I hope that some people here might been able to identify this train. I have a 6th grade student who is interested in trains too, and he wasn't able to recognize this one. I think that it's a charter train.

Taken at Okubo Station last Saturday afternoon, 5 Jun, 2010, going towards Shinjuku.

Coming.

S7302656.jpg

S7302657.jpg

Going.

S7302658.jpg

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Best wishes,

Grant

• Like 1

Short answer: $$$

Chartering trains is commonplace in Japan, especially for things like school trips (就学旅行, shūgaku ryokō) or corporate events, although I think the latter may be less common now. I have heard many stories of companies during the bubble years chartering trains for trips out to Hakone, etc. The operator may also want to do special runs for railfans, who are generally willing to pony up a fair amount of cash for a memorable ride. In general, you can see everything from regular subway / commuter rolling stock to limited express (tokkyū) -style trains used on these types of runs, known as danrin (団臨). But having a special train that isn't run in regular service basically means its like a limited commodity, giving it some rarity value and justifying high ticket prices.

I was at Shinagawa station, I think, and shot this train, Saturday, May 8, 2010 or close to it. Anyone know what it is? Is it like the New Nanohana and used for special excursions and charter?

S7301179.jpg

S7301182.jpg

S7301176.jpg

S7301180.jpg

Thank you for any help.

Best wishes,

Grant

disturbman,

That was fast. Thank you very much. What does EMU mean? Is it the model of that train? Would I label it as a Sleeper EMU or Sunrise Izumo/Seto in my folder? When would be the best time to shoot it moving into that siding?

Thank you again.

Best wishes,

Grant

CaptOblivious

EMU = Electric Multiple Unit. It just means that 1) it uses electric motive power (vs. diesel or steam), and the motive power is distributed throughout the train (that is, there is no dedicated locomotive). All the commuter trains around Tokyo, and all the shinkansen are EMUs. Most sleeper trains in Japan are loco-hauled affairs (e.g. Hokutosei, Cassiopeia), but the Sunrise Izumo and Sunrise Seto are rare EMU sleeper trains.

So, I'd label it "Sunrise Express" (which is the collective name for both units).

Thank you, CaptOblivious,

Thank you for your kind explanation.

If I hang around the Shinagawa station very early morning in the summer, do you think that the Sunrise Express might pass by while it is light enough to get some decent photos, or would it arrive while it's still too dark?

Best wishes,

Grant

Anyone know the significance of the cartoon character on this train? It came into Shinjuku late afternoon last Saturday, June 5, 2010. It parked on platform next to the Azusa platform.

S7302755.jpg

S7302757.jpg

S7302765.jpg

S7302766.jpg

S7302767.jpg

S7302768.jpg

The boy who's hand can be seen holding the camera had been waving to the driver, but I missed the shot.

S7302769.jpg

Thank you for any help.

Best wishes,

Grant

Tunnels for Toni and a question on which line is this? This tunnel is north of Uguisudani an the line comes out of the tunnel going east over the JR tracks and seems to go to Nippori Station. I can't find the line on the Tokyo Train Map.

The trains.

S7303075.jpg

S7303076.jpg

Looking over the bridge. The lane goes to the main road and there is a Jonathan's family restaurant to the left. The road continues over the JR tracks above Uguisudani. That's my primary mode of transportation leaning against the bridge.

S7303061.jpg

You can shoot through the fence at the angle.

S7303060.jpg

S7303062.jpg

This is what it looks like.

S7303063.jpg

Shooting through the fence on the bridge. There are a number of holes on the fence over the bridge. You can fit a large lens through some of the holes.

Shooting towards the tunnel.

S7303066.jpg

S7303071.jpg

Shooting towards the overpass that goes over the JR tracks.

S7303069.jpg

Thank you for any help.

Best wishes,

Grant

CaptOblivious

That's the Keisei Main Line, between Keisei Ueno and Keisei Nippori, and this portion that you are photographing will eventually make it into my future layout. More photos, please!

CaptOblivious,

Thanks for your help. What other information would you like me to shoot on this section?

I'll go by next week and shoot the bridge portion where I parked my bike. Do you want me to shoot more of the surrounding houses? I think that I may be able to shoot the south side of the overpass that goes over JR tracks. I'll see if I can shoot the north side of that overpass. Do you know which Tokyo Train map would show this line?

How about the train in my post above the Keisei one?

Thank you for any help.

Best wishes,

Grant

CaptOblivious

I don't know what that cute pink モ-girl is about, I'm afraid!

Anything along the right of way where the Keisei Main Line emerges from the tunnel, through to and including the overpass would be awesome! More shots of the bridge (taken from somewhere other than on the bridge ;) your bike was parked on in this set would be good too, if that's at all possible.

Here's a link to a Google Map of the area:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=tokyo&sll=38.610131,-90.255753&sspn=0.00939,0.01929&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=T%C5%8Dky%C5%8D+Metropolis,+Japan&ll=35.723747,139.774965&spn=0.004878,0.009645&z=17

CaptOblivious,

I have a student near there on Fridays, so I'll try to shoot more photos then. It's the start of rainy season, so better photos may come some time in July. 

I'll transfer these photos to a new thread.

Glad to help,

Best wishes,

Grant

Short answer: $$$

Chartering trains is commonplace in Japan, especially for things like school trips (就学旅行, shūgaku ryokō) or corporate events, although I think the latter may be less common now. I have heard many stories of companies during the bubble years chartering trains for trips out to Hakone, etc. The operator may also want to do special runs for railfans, who are generally willing to pony up a fair amount of cash for a memorable ride. In general, you can see everything from regular subway / commuter rolling stock to limited express (tokkyū) -style trains used on these types of runs, known as danrin (団臨). But having a special train that isn't run in regular service basically means its like a limited commodity, giving it some rarity value and justifying high ticket prices.

Good cause I want to charter a 655 for my own railfan pictures. And for desert, a 485 with a picture of me wearing a towel on the front of the train so the Japanese won't forget that I was there.