Rail Maps of Japan in English?

TestudoToTetsudo

TestudoToTetsudo

Last year when he was studying abroad in Japan my brother got me an AWESOME gift: the poster-sized Shobunsha map of all rail lines/all operators in the Tokyo region, in both Japanese and English.  I've used it extensively to come up with ideas for trips to try out my next time in Japan.

I was wondering if there was something similar for other regions of the country besides Kanto?  If there was a map somewhere with all the lines in, say, the Tohoku region, or Kyushu, (or even nationwide, though that would probably be an atlas) that is bilingual with English, and would identify the names of each line?  Just curious.

I went onto the www.mapple.co.jp website listed at the bottom of the Tokyo map I have, but cannot figure out if the maps they sell there are as bilingual as the map I have.

Thanks in advance for any info/insights!

bikkuri bahn

The Mapple railmaps are not bilingual, but all station names have furigana (hiragana renderings) below the Kanji.  Hiragana can me learned in a week (or less) with a good set of flashcards.  The Mapple series are probably the best general rail maps available in paper, though I personally find their thick volume (and pricey) roadmaps better as they have more detail for the rail lines (smaller scale), and online versions such as Mapion are excellent also.  Google maps also has many place names in romaji.

The map series bill pointed out, published by Shinchosa, is a new version of their existing series.  It has more historical information, including train route diagrams and details of old train services.  I just checked one out today at the local bookstore, and it looks pretty good- the Hokkaido volume has already been released, Tohoku area will be on sale on the 18th of this month, with other regions further south will be released subsequently. A plus with this upgraded series is a large fold out map, price is the same as the old maps, 680 yen.

If you must absolutely have an English map, then there is the Kodansha bilingual atlas:

http://www.amazon.com/Japan-Bilingual-Atlas-Kodansha-Guide/dp/4770015364

Can't vouch for its usefulness or detail of rail lines.

On Paper is the Shobunsha Road Atlas 1:250000 the one and only choice for detailed maps covering all of Japan. Last edition in 2007 - can be found in any major book store in Japan (I checked two months ago).

Online, KItayama Rail Maps is the best :-)

But, there is no good start page yet. You have to get into one of the detailed maps and click around.

Will be fixed whenever I get the time.

Exampel of map: http://www.bae.se/kitayama/L4map.htm

TestudoToTetsudo

Thanks for all your help! 

I like your maps Kitayama.

And Bikkuri Bahn, I plan to memorize Hiragana before my next trip!

On Paper is the Shobunsha Road Atlas 1:250000 the one and only choice for detailed maps covering all of Japan. Last edition in 2007 - can be found in any major book store in Japan (I checked two months ago).

Online, KItayama Rail Maps is the best :-)

But, there is no good start page yet. You have to get into one of the detailed maps and click around.

Will be fixed whenever I get the time.

Exampel of map: http://www.bae.se/kitayama/L4map.htm

I usually pick up the latest Shobunsha atlas when I visit Japan. I'll see what I can find in August, but I'll take my old one just in case.