Terminating Caneteary Pole lines

thresholder

Hello Group

I'm new to this forum and Japanese Model Rail Roading. I have a question regarding canetary pole lines when approaching the station. How and where do you terminate the lines? Do you just stop the lines at the last pole before the station? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Glen

I'm not sure I follow, do you mean when modeling, or the real thing?

To the best of my knowledge in Japan they don't normally cut off the overhead wires when they hit the station (such as by switching to third rail or making the train long enough to reach a line at the far end of the platform before running out of line on the other side). The lines continue right through the station - if there is no overhead obstruction then they are carried on catenary pole (the station poles may be wider so that the poles can be planted on the outside edge of the platform rather then where people walk). When there is a roof or overhead station then the wires simply connect to points integrated into the roof. See attached image of the Kato urban platform, and a photo from Ueno station.

post-219-13569924897917_thumb.jpg

The overhead carries on through the station sometimes integrated into part of the station structure as in this picture at a Keikyu station or with normal spaced poles in smaller stations.

800px-Keikyu-railway-main-line-Shimbamba-station-platform.jpg

Iron bridges and the underside of station passage ways support the overhead in other places.

800px-Nishifu_Station_Platform.JPG

Another photo source:

http://repetae.net/~frederik/japan-pictures/01-09-17-kyoto/004.fushimi-inari/003.kyoto-station-platform-0x0.html