longest service

harukablue

harukablue

Hi all.

Besides the shinkansen network and overnight trains, what is the longest service in km operated in Japan on the 3ft 6" network?

Lew

Maybe Shinano Nagano - Osaka (441.2 km)?

It beats:

Sapporo - Wakkanai (396.2), Sapporo - Kushiro (348.4) and Nichirin Seagaia Hakata - Kokura - Miyazaki Airport (413.1).

TestudoToTetsudo

Hyperdia says Inaho No. 8 runs Aomori-Niigata, 458.8km, in 6hrs, 55mins during the day, which beats the others listed if only by a tiny margin.

However Japan is such a train-intensive country I wouldn't be surprised if there was a longer day train route somewhere...

Hyperdia says Inaho No. 8 runs Aomori-Niigata, 458.8km, in 6hrs, 55mins during the day, which beats the others listed if only by a tiny margin.

However Japan is such a train-intensive country I wouldn't be surprised if there was a longer day train route somewhere...

My previous post was made upon my own "feelings". But, now I have checked my database. It is not 100% up-to-date, but quite accurate. According to that data, you have found the winner!

bikkuri bahn

Like to add that while the Inaho No.8 is the longest daytime limited express, the longest local service in Japan (one train- no transfers) is on the Sanyo Main Line between Okayama and Shimonoseki.  Though this train changes train numbers twice, on its Okayama departure the train is announced as a service bound for Shimonoseki.  The schedule is this:

Train 1725M Departs Okayama 6:58 arrives Itozaki 8:25

Changes train no. to 337M Departs Itozaki 8:37 arrives Iwakuni 10:51

Changes train no. to 3341M Departs Iwakuni 11:09 arrives Shimonoseki 14:21

Distance is 384.7km

bikkuri bahn
Besides the shinkansen network and overnight trains, what is the longest service in km operated in Japan on the 3ft 6" network?

If you include freight services, the absolute longest scheduled service on the 1067mm network is the daily Sapporo-Fukuoka container freight.  It departs the Sapporo Freight terminal in Shiroishi Ward every night at 9:50pm, and takes 37 hours and 7 minutes to traverse the 2132km to Fukuoka Freight Terminal arriving at 10:57am the second day. It utilizes routes on the Japan Sea side (Ou, Uetsu, Hokuriku Main Lines) and then the Sanyo Main Line from the Kansai area to the west.  The service requires a total 16 train personnel, with crew changes along the way.  Southbound loads consist mainly of agricultural products (onions, potatoes, rice) while northbound loads consist of processed foods. Top speed is 95kmh.  The service runs with an average loads of 81.6% in its 20 car consist, which is high, making it one of JR Freight Hokkaido Branch's more popular services.

source:

http://www.asahi.com/national/update/1224/TKY200912240196.html