Amarube Viaduct, old and new, and some KIHA47s

miyakoji

I did a search here a few days ago only to find that there is no mention of the Amarube Viaduct anywhere!  Yow!  Anyway, I'm sure many of you know of this structure, which is a somewhat iconic feature of the San'in Main Line and the San'in region itself.  Check out this vid by the excellent youtube contributor ayokoi--

The part from about 0:52, where you can hear the rear car's engine and turbocharger spin up, is especially good.

In late 04 or early 05 I was fortunate enough to cross this with some snow on the ground, it was a great view.  San'in in the winter can be a little harsh (less so than Hokkaido, though), but it's a great atmosphere, I think.  Such images can be found around the internets.  I have to wonder if the residents below prefer the existing structure or are looking forward to the newer one without so many vertical supports.  Also, I wonder if the cement structure will be any quieter.  It seems like the new structure's alignment with the tunnel at the east end will make for a strange kink in the line.  Maybe the tunnel will be modified--but the opening date for the new bridge is August 12!

Ah, here's another:

bikkuri bahn

The San'in Main Line is a bit off the beaten track of the foreign tourist's course, most only get as far as the Amanohashidate area, if then.  A shame really, as this line is famous for being the haunt of older JNR rolling stock.  About eight years ago I took a trip on this line from Kyoto all the way to Shimonoseki to ride the last kiha 181's in JNR ltd. express colors.  I also was able to take a short morning ride on the Blue Train Izumo from Tottori when it was still loco hauled (dd51).  Strangely, I don't remember crossing this viaduct.  Even if you can't make it as far as Amarube, a day trip from Kyoto to Fukuchiyama on a JR West 183 series, and possibly a trip on the torokko train on the old San'in line back to Kyoto is recommended.