Keishin line Hamaotsu

bill937ca

Keihan's Keishin line links Kyoto with the city of Otsu. Until 1997 there were sections of street running in Kyoto.  After 1997 the line was put into the Tozai subway line in Kyoto but street running remains in Otsu. Hamaotsu is a main transfer point between two lines that form a T shape.

Although the line uses platform loading cars it is classified as tramway line.  The 500, 600 and 700 series cars had two double doors and the older 80 series had three single doors.  All cars have a crew of two.

Nick_Burman

Nice films Bill. You forgot to mention that the 80s were designed for both street and platform-level loading. While the metro connection in Kyoto was being built, the Fukui Railway mulled the idea of purchasing the 80s (when the metro line finally opened), but parent Meitetsu flung the ex-Gifu tram fleet at them instead. The 80s were used right to the metro opening day, when part of the street-running section was cut off from the rest of the system by the metro connection. When through running started, the cars were taken to a section of PRW and cut up on the spot.

Cheers NB

Interesting.  Yes, I did forget about the street level loading.  There are some images of Keihan 80s loading on the street on this web page.   http://funini.com/train/kansai/ks80/noflash.html

Numerous great pics there.  The right-most on the second row shows the Keage hydroelectric generating station in the background.  Water was (is?) brought through some impressive piping from Lake Biwa to generate electricity that ran the Kyoto Electric Railway!  Trains at every turn eh!

I assume that line then went down Sanjo to where the subway portal is now, just west of Yamashina Station.  That's a pretty steep grade, I sure would like to have ridden that (I walked it once, it sucked).  I remember clearly somewhere between Keage and the portal, the current subway goes through some sharp turns and the grinding is almost unbearable.  Loud as hell.

Relevant links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Biwa_Canal