Kato C62 running poorly

HST.

Hi to everyone, this is my first Post, so be gentle with me!  I have a Kato C62 which is running badly, sometimes have to give it a nudge to get it started, and once it's running, it seems to be surging slightly.  The reason for this could be that I dropped it while in its case, I can't see any obvious problems externally, but I wouldn't know where to begin stripping it down etc.  This is my first layout, so it's all pretty new to me, guess I'll pick it up as I go along, but I have to say I am very happy that I decided to take the plunge with Japanese "N" and not the 4mm British Layout I had been thinking of, I am very impressed with everything I've bought up to now!  Any help at this stage with the C62 would be greatly appreciated....Thanks in advance.

Regards...Dave.

Hi Dave,

Is the engine still under warranty?  You usually have 1 year to make the claim.  The customer service in N. America is pretty good, not sure about Europe...Lemke?

I am no expert in trouble-shooting but later Kato models sometimes (I had 2 out of 20) will not run due to bad electrical connection that can easily be solved by making sure all electrical wires and elements are connected properly.

I will let others to fill you in.

Hi,  It was an Ebay purchase, it's the latest version and was bought as new but unused (not a dealer).  It was fine before I dropped it, maybe it loosened a connection or something, but don't know how to get to everything, like I said, externally, everything looks fine.....Dave.

CaptOblivious

HST, welcome!

I've split your post into a new thread of its own, as it's an entirely new subject. Don't be offended, just keeping things in order.

I have never taken an steam loco apart (I don't own any), but I can concur with to2leo that this kind of issue is probably indicative of bad electrical pickup, and can probably be easily remedied once someone here can tell you how to disassemble the loco.

Once you have it apart, I've found that AeroLube's Conducta brand conductive lubricant is good to have on hand. I use a small drop anywhere metal bits that transfer electricity touch each other, including and especially where the wheel wipers touch the wheels or axle. Being conductive, it helps to ensure positive electrical contact, and being a lubricant, it helps to ensure smooth running.

I have a few Kato steam engines. C57, US Mikes and a D something (sorry, not near em).

When my C57 wasn't running well I found that one of the stiff wires that transfer power from the tender to the front had popped off. I'd pull the tender off and check that first. It would fit with your drop. On the US Mikes Kato puts a plastic bar in the box to support the train in the box. On my JNR steamers that bar isn't there.

The shell should come of without much effort. I'd try removing the shell and just giving it a look. Then I'd consider taking the bottom off and gently lifting the gears out and putting them back in. Clean any electrical surface with a swab and some 90 percent alcohol. Take off the tender wheels and make sure the pickups are clean.

A quick follow up. After posting I ran the C57 ( a 4-6-2). If I had to rate the way my Kato steam runs, it'd be US Mikado, then D62, then the C57. I'd say the C57 is just a normal steamer, whereas the Mikados are the best steam I own. If anyone out there has better advice on tuning these up, I'd love to hear it.

Just had a look at the tender, pulled it apart, put it back together again....PERFECT!!!  It's running round the layout with the Blue Train as smooth as anything as I write this post, thanks to everyone who helped.  As soon as I get the time, I'll post a few pics of the layout etc, and I'm sure I'll be needing more help before I'm finished!

Regards...Dave in sunny Horwich, England.

• Like 1